THE GREAT SHARK PIT COOKIES CLEANING EXPERIMENT

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Re: THE GREAT SHARK PIT COOKIES CLEANING EXPIERIMENT

This should be a tv show! The adventures of floater and his folgers electrolysis machine! :D

OP
OP
F

Floater

Will It Reveal Itself

OK here are progress pictures of todays treatment in the electrolysis. Notice on some of these that the dark spots on the surface of the coin is all the way down to metal past the original surface. Also pay attention to the edge on some of the shots. You can clearly see a defined edge like a coin built up and then shallow where it was stamped. Their is no visible markings yet but I think we will be lucky to see any for a while still. It appears this center section still has a lot of dissolving to do. If you have questions please ask . If I cant answer then I hope Conservator will. So far today the coin has been in the electrolysis for 15 hrs. I changed the solution once. You will also note the Calipers in the pictures. Yes I did measure the coin. It is 23.34MM in diameter. I also measured the thickest edge showing and it is 1.50MM Thick.

Attachments

• rtddy3.jpg
    rtddy3.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 662
  • rtddy3a.jpg
    rtddy3a.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 654
  • rtddy3b.jpg
    rtddy3b.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 660
OP
OP
F

Floater

More Pictures.

Attachments

• rtddy3c.jpg
    rtddy3c.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 659
  • rtddy3d.jpg
    rtddy3d.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 652
  • rtddy3e.jpg
    rtddy3e.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 645

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

your doing a great job floater! thanks for posting this thread.......it ISvery interesting! i cant wait to see what you have there!

OP
OP
F

Floater

Thanks everyone for the Encouragement. I said in post #22 that I might have some great scientific new. Well it turned out I don't.
My Neighbor is a freelance medical tech and has his own sonagram machine that he goes around to peoples houses and takes there picture with. I thought it would be cool to have him do the coins but it turns out im a total moron. ( I'm sure Conservator is reading this laughing his A$$ off but hey what do I know??? It turns out that what I really need to take a picture of this is some sort of xray machine. The sonogram works on a low frequency of sound waves that wont penetrate hard objects such as sand and calcium and whatever else has encrusted these coins. Also note that Sand is silica and is really the raw foundation of glass.To bad we didn't have clear sandy beaches then we could just see our finds and we wouldn't need metal detectors?? :o Anyway so that idea went out the window. So today I have started the process again. This time though instead of the spoon I have bent a SS paper clip into a holder that is not actually tensioned on the coin but rather just holds it in place similar to a plate holder you would use to display with. I am hoping this concentrates more action on the coin and the actual surfaces that are still very concealed and not loosened up yet. This will stay in all day so it will be another 14 or 15 hours again of treatment.I didn't have a chance last night to make the other machine but i should be able to tonight. If anyone has any other facts they would like to share on this process I would appreciate any comments good or bad. I was hoping Conservator would be around but he probably has a life away from this stuff on the weekends.If I did it all week I would want a little time away too. I just have to remember this is fun for us and a job for him. funny how that all works huh? Anywho I'm gone for the day but will return later tonight. HH

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado

Great job Floater! I asked a friend if he had a store bought machine for cleaning, and he said yes.
When I asked him how long it took to clean coins he just said it had a timer for 409 seconds?
Just thought I'd mention it.

OP
OP
F

Floater

dano91 said:
Great job Floater! I asked a friend if he had a store bought machine for cleaning, and he said yes.
When I asked him how long it took to clean coins he just said it had a timer for 409 seconds?
Just thought I'd mention it.
409 seconds ?? HMMMM ?? 6 minutes and 49 seconds I had to use all my fingers and toes and then my nipples to figure that one out. Whats he using an Arc welder ;D
Oh!!! 409. Very funny Dano. :D You Squirt!! ;D

OP
OP
F

Floater

Wow Conservator. Thank you . I didn't expect that. I am truly humbled.

OP
OP
F

Floater

WE HAVE A BARBER !!

Well I went to change the solution and I rinsed the coin gently. Some more crud had dissolved and then I patted it dry. I noticed almost right away that the lettering was becoming visible.
Here are the shots. The first one you can read the "QUARTER DOLLAR " The second picture is the identifier. I will let some of you Numismatic Experts tell us why. ;) Its really simple. My heart was pounding and the wife was holding the light so I could shadow the coin just right to get these shots. I have put the coin back in the Electrolysis untill tonight late.

Attachments

• rtdbrb.jpg
    rtdbrb.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 645
  • rtdbrbigwt.jpg
    rtdbrbigwt.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 644

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado

Great Floater!!!! And I wasn't kidding about the 409 second timer, at least thats what I thought he said.
Dano

OP
OP
F

Floater

dano91 said:
Great Floater!!!! And I wasn't kidding about the 409 second timer, at least thats what I thought he said.
Dano
Dano that doesnt make any sense. What type of Electrolysis takes 409 seconds. He was pulling your leg or he needs to show you his machine. I think its a bottle of 409. Other than that It was pretty funny to me. ;)

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola

Nice job floater!! hopefully we will be able to see what year it is eventually :)

Sounds like the time I tried to cook the roast in half the time by doubleing the temp!

Thats not as bad as the time i went to cook ramen noodles and forgot to add water and set the microwave on fire :P

OP
OP
F

Floater

Well after letting it run all day and night yesterday for another 15 hours We are definitely seeing some definition to the coin. I have posted below a Picture of a Barber with color coded areas so you can understand what is visible and where there are problems with the coin. I will try to post some detail pictures of the actual coin that will show these areas but this takes time and I have been on this full for the last four days and I do have a life also. ;D The coin is soaking in fresh water and will not be in the electrolysis until this afternoon.

The Red areas are what is Visible on the coin now.
The Blue areas are bad surface areas and may never show the detail.
The Yellow areas are bad areas, but also include de-lamination of the coin which is visible around the edge.

Attachments

• barcolcod.jpg
    barcolcod.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 591

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
IM FRIGGIN ADDICTED TO THIS DANG THREAD!!!i cant help but look everytime floater posts something! this one is right up there with the plane crash finds about a year ago. ( i think jeff started that one).cant wait to see todays progress!

OP
OP
F

Floater

hollowpointred said:
IM FRIGGIN ADDICTED TO THIS DANG THREAD!!!i cant help but look everytime floater posts something! this one is right up there with the plane crash finds about a year ago. ( i think jeff started that one).cant wait to see todays progress!

ROFL :D :D I hear ya HollowPointred. I told Rtde3 this was more fun than finding em. LOL ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions