THE GREAT SHARK PIT COOKIES CLEANING EXPERIMENT

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Floater said:
hollowpointred said:
IM FRIGGIN ADDICTED TO THIS DANG THREAD!!!i cant help but look everytime floater posts something! this one is right up there with the plane crash finds about a year ago. ( i think jeff started that one).cant wait to see todays progress!

ROFL? :D? :D I hear ya HollowPointred. I told Rtde3 this was more fun than finding em. LOL ;D
Heck! this makes me want some cookie coins to experiment on! :D

OP
OP
F

Floater

WIN A DATE WITH OLD FLAKEY !

OK the date is three quarters of the way there and you can all guess what the last # is . :D I also did these in close ups and zoom to really show the condition of the metal that is left. I have some other thoughts on this but I need to hit the sack. I will post more on these pics tommorrow. HH

Attachments

• rtddate.jpg
    rtddate.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 592
  • rtddate1.jpg
    rtddate1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 595
  • rtddate2.jpg
    rtddate2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 594

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
Yup Floater! I think you found a 1831 chucky cheese token!!!!
That should parley into about 400 Pizzas' Just kidding.....Great work!!!
Dano.

OP
OP
F

Floater

SYNOPSIS
Part I​

Well some of you may be saying why are we coming to a conclusion when we have not seen a finished product or brought our experiment to its conclusion.
I have labeled this Part I so we may conclude what has happened and bring some order to the progress to date.
As I write this the coin is in the electrolysis tank.

Received coins Thursday 8/11/2005 Electrolysis Treatment to date 64 hours

Distilled water only 62 Hours Other cleaning --- Rinse with fresh water

Observations: Mistakes were made in the early stages of this treatment. We originally received 3 coins encrusted in a sand composition or at least to this laymen that is what it appears to be.
The Initial treatment was to place the coins in the tank for treatment together. This continued for 11 hours. Because of the reaction to dissimilar metals we may have damaged the coin we now know as the Barber.
One of the small coins disintegrated.
We still have one small coin left which has been in distilled water soaking for 115 Hours.
The Barber to date has shed most of the sandy crust except for the very center sections on both sides of the coin.
The coin has also deterorated beyond its original surfaces and shows signs of Metal Flaking which means that the corrosion by the salt water and the elements has disintegrated portions of the metal.
The coins reaction appears to have slowed down the last twenty four hours. No visible differences have shown themselves and the encrusted center is still evident.
The good part of this is that we are losing less metal now and some stabilization may be taking place.
We will continue this course until the coin has stopped reacting totally to this treatment.

Side note: Why do I bring the coin in and out of the electrolysis?
Since I work I cant watch its progress and I fear leaving the unit plugged in and the coin unattended. This comes from lack of experience and I'm sure has some effect on the coin. For now though, this is the course we will stay on. Here is a picture with some notes and have a good night. If there are any questions please ask. Thanks Gang.

Attachments

• RTDSYN.jpg
    RTDSYN.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 551

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Floater for all the info!!!! ;) I don't understand why it works.....but it does!!!! ;D

Nana ;)

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
So what kind of conditions where the coins exposed to, to cause such deterioration?
Acidic soil?
I allways love your posts Floater...You Da Man!!!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dano91 said:
So what kind of conditions where the coins exposed to, to cause such deterioration?
Acidic soil?
I allways love your posts Floater...You Da Man!!!
??? Are you drinking again? ;D These were found in the Chesapeake bay! :) Keep up the good work floater!

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
way to go Floater, although i could only see a few of the pics. ( i've got the crawl speed connection version ), ?it sounds like it's coming along nicely, hopefully next time i view the post more pics. will show up.

although i think conservator could have been a little more forthcoming with some assistance, but then again he probably doesn't want it to be thought that he was encouraging us "bootleggers, pirates, grave robbers, etc., etc." or what ever else the arc's. call us nowadays ?;D . ( sorry C. i thought you needed a poke ?;D )

?Pat.

?

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
ok floater, i have thought for quite awhile that you were much like myself, a nut.. now i know different, you are more like rain man, a genius in disguise......anyway, just to let you know, that i believe this is the best thread in the history of treasurenet.com....EVEN BETTER than the dowsing thread ! if you were my son i would cry because i would be so proud........just watchout or you will either be drafted onto '' the discovery channel '' or the new show, '' weird america ''..........go floater, go floater, go floater,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,gldhntr, your humble servant...........

OP
OP
F

Floater

GldHntr, You have humbled me once again. Thank You. I know your research is incredible and I also know you posses a vast quantity of information that you are always willing to lend.You are also one of the more respected members in our community because of this. HH
~Floater~

OP
OP
F

Floater

THE COOKIE HAS CRUMBLED

Don't worry I would never let it happen but it has deteriorated to the point where electrolysis has outlived its usefulness.

The Pictures below explain it so I wont bore you with to much detail on this post.

As you know the coin started to de-laminate and flake.In trying to get the last bit of surface exposed the metal became to thin on certain areas that we already had a good view of.

I am so happy that I did take pictures as the work progressed because we have lost some of the definition of the coin. I am now trying some chemical cleaning to bring up what is left and will post those pictures tonight. Here ya go.

Attachments

• rtdsplit4.jpg
    rtdsplit4.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 481
  • rtdsplit2.jpg
    rtdsplit2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 484
  • rtdsplit1.jpg
    rtdsplit1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 474
OP
OP
F

Floater

More Picture's. Notice the last one though. At least we are able to see the bust now.No silver lining I know but we are trying.

Attachments

• rtdsplitbust.jpg
    rtdsplitbust.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 474
  • rtdsplit.jpg
    rtdsplit.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 479

Ilovetodig

Feb 14, 2005
Now in Guam
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/ Fisher D2
Floater,

I just wanted to say that this has been an outstanding thread and I have learned a great deal from your experiment. Kudos to you for using your free time to try and help out a fellow member. If it wasn't for you then we would never have known that the "cookie" coin was indeed an actual Barber and may have sat in a box undiscovered. I hope that in time you will be able to figure out a way to save those coins from crumbling into nothing. Good luck on your second coin and I will be watching your progress with much interest and can't wait to see what the other "cookie" coin is.

Best of luck to you in your quest.

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc
;D ;D ;D ;D Great thread Floater between this one and the folgers thread alot of great info from you and Conservator. thanks

way to go.....wonder how much the nice clean water of chesapkee bay had to do with the cookies crumbling

kudos :::::::::::whistling loudly ::::::::::
Vrent

OP
OP
F

Floater

I'M GLAD YOU ASKED

LovetoDig, you must of read my mind.

I would never let you all down. I'm sure when the final report is out on the first coin it really will be a great lesson and I can tell you this, I am learning a lot as I go as I hope you all are too.

The best part though is we did start the smaller cookie we had left last night. I put it in for about 18 hours. At lunch today I pulled it out and the picture's below will show what we have so far. Remember this coin was also in the Electrolysis the first time with all three of the cookies. That was 11 hours. Since then it had been soaking in just plain distilled water until I put it in late yesterday afternoon.

Actually I was glad I pulled it. The surface of this one appears to be a little better and the encrusted part all came off for the most part. It did take some of the original surface and one chunk of the outer layer actually held intact so I took a picture of this as well. The definition is not great right now and I am thinking of the next step. I don't know if I want to put it back in the electrolysis or try a chemical or mechanical treatment. Don't worry though, you will all be the first to know. (well maybe the wife when I grab her cuticle kit again!! ?:D) Anyway take a look.

Attachments

• rtd1c.jpg
    rtd1c.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 462
  • rtd2a.jpg
    rtd2a.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 462
  • rtd1a.jpg
    rtd1a.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 472
OP
OP
F

Floater

And here is the little chip of crust that came off.

Attachments

• rtdcrustbk.jpg
    rtdcrustbk.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 464
  • rtdcrust.jpg
    rtdcrust.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 458
  • rtdcrust1a.jpg
    rtdcrust1a.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 455
OP
OP
F

Floater

Thank's Vrent. By the way Pm me and I will give you some contact info so when you get a load heading into S.Florida we can hook up. Later HH

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
rtde3 said:
lobsterman said:
way to go Floater, although i could only see a few of the pics. ( I've got the crawl speed connection version ), ?it sounds like it's coming along nicely, hopefully next time i view the post more pics. will show up.

? although i think conservator could have been a little more forthcoming with some assistance, but then again he probably doesn't want it to be thought that he was encouraging us "bootleggers, pirates, grave robbers, etc., etc." or what ever else the arc's. call us nowadays ?;D . ( sorry C. i thought you needed a poke ?;D )

?Pat.

?
Lobsterman, Just so you know Conservator has been nice enough to volunteer his time to try his skills on some of these coins at his lab. I have sent him 4 cookie coins to work on. He has informed me that his way might take up to a month. If anyone can save these coins it's him. So let's cut him some slack because he does this for a living & does not have to help me & Floater with this project. Thanks, RTDE3

sorry guy's, i didn't realize that C. was helping you along behind the scenes. and sorry C. it was all in fun and i didn't mean to cause you any grief. best of luck to you all with the coins, i won't bother you any further.

Pat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread