Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I don't know if you all have had that experience of hunting for a housesite in the woods--a real tough one.  I've done pretty well at this, and found just about every one that I've tried to locate.  Some have been tough, though...

Well...the Iron Brigade dove into the woods yesterday to locate an old housesite.  I'd pinpointed the spot to the left of the owner's driveway to his modern house.  (Felt 99% certain that his new house wasn't build overtop of it).  The owner himself had no idea that there was ever a house there--and he grew up in the area a long time ago. 

Let me tell you, we tore those woods up for several long hours...finding no trace of an iron patch, cellar hole, or well.  (We did find ticks and snakes though  :o)  I started to doubt the research I'd done...so I finally gave them all the round-up signal and we had a pow-wow at the driveway.  Nobody had walked across an iron patch.  I was puzzled...  Then as we were getting ready to hang our heads in shame, we noticed--of all things!--Old Brick mixed in with the driveway gravel.   ::)  Getting on either side of the driveway in the grass and landscaping, we found more brick--and pottery.   :P  The housesite was exactly where the current driveway goes through.  So at least we found it--although the dirt had been pushed all around to make the driveway.  With darkness almost on us, we pounded the areas around the driveway with a vengeance (as if everyone on the team wanted to demand something awesome from this site that had drained so much of our hunting time).

The crew got several suspender clips (I was quite happy with an oddly-shaped oval one I got).  We also found harmonica reeds, flat buttons, and other typical housesite culprits.  Not really much to show--although I might be persuaded to show the suspender clip...  Digger Girl got the only coin--a nice "V" nickel (and I hope she posts it!).  So congrats to her on her oldest nickel.  Oh, and of course we found some Big Iron too.   :wink: 

In my book, the best find was finding the site itself.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
I have, but was ran off by a nest of hornets. :icon_pirat:
Cool a V :headbang:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go BB & IB. :thumbsup:
Of course, what is a story without some of your wonderful pictures? You're teasing us Will. Come on, pictures. ;D
Congrats on finding the spot.
I'm having a hard time this year convincing myself to go into the woods and mingle with the ticks & snakes. I have a lot of woods to hit too. :'(
Way to go Guy & Gals.
-MM-

smokedaddy

Mar 4, 2008
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum / Fisher 1266X / Minelab Sovereign Elite/ Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice story, thanks for sharing.

jsu

Nov 29, 2007
NE Georgia
Detector(s) used
EAGLE II, TIGERSHARK, COMPADRE , MXT
Everybody`s got to come back down to earth sometime,can`t have a three buckle day every time, LOL. BTW congrats on that eagle plate!I know you`ll be on top again,just save some stuff for the rest of us!!The ticks and snakes are not too bad, its those damn blood thirsty mosquitoes I don`t like.Good luck and happy hunting.jeff

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Way to go BB & IB. :thumbsup:
Of course, what is a story without some of your wonderful pictures? You're teasing us Will. Come on, pictures. ;D
Congrats on finding the spot.
I'm having a hard time this year convincing myself to go into the woods and mingle with the ticks & snakes. I have a lot of woods to hit too. :'(
Way to go Guy & Gals.
-MM-

LOL I actually didn't take my usual photos this hunt. I kept thinking "I'll snap some photos when we find the spot"...and it took us so long to find it that I forgot about the photos. Pretty low light by then anyhow. Such a funny trip. Sometimes I feel like the king of research and sometimes like a bumbling fool. All depends on how a site comes together...or doesn't.

Get that repellent on, and get out there in the woods, MM!

:thumbsup:

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those old sites can be a puzzle BB.
The old maps are not always accurate and in the 1800s they moved houses.
Good job finding the iron and the site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread