THE INJURY THREAD. Post your wounds here.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Around the age of 11-12 I'm in my dad's wood shop building some miniature doll furniture for my sisters new dollhouse. This building is about 30yds. from the house and there's about 2ft. of snow outside. This entire building is wrapped in corrugated tin including the roof. So one of my younger sisters pops into the shop and starts in about the furniture not being right. I told her to leave. She gets by the door and throws a piece of wood that hits me in the neck. Then she slams the door and runs outside. Now she knows I'll catch her if she stays in the shoveled path to the house. So she hits the deep snow and goes around the shop to the other side. I have just tennis shoes on and didn't want to run in that deep wet snow. She's now on the other side laughing and breaking off the ice cycles hanging from the roof and throwing them over the low slung metal roof at me! All the snow was off the roof also. On my side of the shop was a pile of broken up bricks from an old wall. So I picked up a piece and attempted to just clear the peak so it would slide down on her side. We'll I didn't make it. I heard it sliding back down toward me. The edge of the roof was only about 6.5' tall. I'll just catch this and re-chuck again. Well it dropped off the roof and I caught it with my head and the blood was going EVERYWHERE! It looked even worse hitting the white snow. I screamed for help and my sister made her getaway to the house. My mom got half-way to me, stopped, ran back into house and returned with a couple of towels.

In the end I had cracked my skull and hit some artery. I had to get a steel clamp inserted and some stitches. The other bad part was the huge shaved area in my hair. When we got home from the hospital my dad was home from work. My sister told him I was trying to throw bricks at her over the shop and somehow "cut myself". When I walked into the back door my dad roared to get my ass in here NOW! Just imagine trying to explain yourself...? Just how much worse could it get...? Dad showed me....! :BangHead:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was 13, the family vacation brought us to a little town in Maine, where there was a country fair, that also had an auction for some reason. My winning bid was for $5 on a used skateboard. Time to go, we were parked at the bottom of a long hill. The pro that I was, it became obvious that I was gonna ride this thing all the way down. Half way down, with speeds getting real, the dreaded speed wobbles set it...I knew I was screwed.
My choice was guardrail, oncoming car, or bail and eat the pavement.
Keep in mind the fashion for 1984 was thin short shorts, and a muscle shirt, with my belly exposed.(I know, shut up)...
The road rash over most of my body took months to heal.

Ahh yes, the dreaded death wobble. There must be an engineering lesson in it ,but without going fast , how to test? :unhappysmiley:
I coasted a mega hill on a bike with no chain., or needless to say ,brakes. A wobble may have reduced the rocket speed before striking a wood post at the ball field.
Some gravel resistant gear may have saved some hide too...

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
....Been sittin' here trying to think how all this info would look like if made into a movie? :laughing7:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
....Been sittin' here trying to think how all this info would look like if made into a movie? :laughing7:

Yea... Like Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest! It would be tough to say who gets top billing...? :laughing7: And what's scary is... I bet we haven't even scratched the surface yet!!!!

And Dave there is not one of us who can't relate to the "dreaded death wobble". It has a VERY SHORT learning curve in which to grasp hold of. The first time it's like "what the hell is this"? That second time is worse because YOU KNOW what's about to happen but it's too late.... again! And that makes it worse because you get to anticipate the forthcoming pain.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea... Like Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest! It would be tough to say who gets top billing...? :laughing7: And what's scary is... I bet we haven't even scratched the surface yet!!!!

And Dave there is not one of us who can't relate to the "dreaded death wobble". It has a VERY SHORT learning curve in which to grasp hold of. The first time it's like "what the hell is this"? That second time is worse because YOU KNOW what's about to happen but it's too late.... again! And that makes it worse because you get to anticipate the forthcoming pain.

Then when you get older dirt bikes and motorcycles, trucks with trailers,small dump trucks, jeeps after mods etc...........When you hit "death wobble" You KNOW! Something bad is coming if you don't get it in check..:laughing7: I've had heart pounding and nothing even happened yet! Just knew the LUCK, that it didn't!!:laughing7: It all started with a skate board or pedal bike!:laughing7:

Last edited:

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nitric got me to thinking about the car and rope thing. I had a doodlebug on my Grandfathers farm, and used to run it over the back roads and fields. Well us kids didn't have much going on so we tied a rope and flying saucer to the back of the doodlebug. You know what's almost as slippery as snow ? Yup, you guessed it. During the summer we would wait till my Uncle was spreading manure, and follow right behind him. Almost as good as sledding on the snow, but we didn't have to wait for winter. The best part was a trip to the pond after as I'm sure we probably didn't smell to good. Nobody got hurt, lots of fun, and my Uncle didn't have to worry about keeping in a straight line as he was laughing to hard.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other

Uhh...yes there is. I grew up on some of the flattest Earth this side of the Mississippi. :censored: So, I did what every other kid my age did and added a little bit of power!! :headbang:

Actually, we lived on a road with deep, soft sand. Not even a BMX bike could make it through that sand! So I finally ended up getting a Honda Mini-Trail 50. My Dad nearly went bankrupt on all the broken spark plugs, as they stuck out to the side of the engine! Some years later he got me a Yamaha GT 80 Enduro. ...But I wanted a moto-cross bike! Oh well - is probably a good thing I got that one. Now I could go on the blacktop roads also!! :headbang: Only thing, the YZ bikes were a bit faster than the GT's. ...Don't ask me how I know. :BangHead:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
***YAWNNNNN.... Huummmppfff***

So you think thatsa scar...

jaws_scars movie 1975 quint.jpg jaws-1.jpg JAWS-66-1_28_40-1024x433.png jaws-specialmenu1.jpg maxresdefault.jpg quint.jpg scarjaws.jpg

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first real job in high school was as a dishwasher at a hoity toity restaurant in Plymouth, Ma...after intense training, like a day, I was promoted to prep cook... So this hard plastic cutting board that I was using was pretty banged up, knife marks, nicks and cuts all over it, and that bothered me.
So the bright idea to shave the edges of with the sharpest knife within reach seemed plausible....4 edges, no more than 10 inches long, let's go....I recall the third edge the knife went in too deep, got hung up....just a little bit more oomph, it'll be good...
Blood....and lots of it. Left hand, finger and thumb, to the bone. To this day, the nerve damage remains.
And yea, that was my last day at Scruples.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once... I was waking through the living room barefooted... when all of a sudden I clipped the coffee table with my pinky toe.

Swore it was ripped off or at least bent to my heal and back.

Nope... scratch ::P

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's happened to all of us, many times...but the fact that you went there, gives me the appreciation that yes, that does suck. The pain can drop you to your knees, no clue if the pain will ever subside...an instant amputation is necessary just to get it over with.
Good call my man.... And remember, it'll happen again.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, teeth stories...

I played hockey and had to cut the tape off my shin guards, well I'll just use my teeth, man that tape is tough, pulled a tooth out in the process of trying to tear it.

Bit down too hard into a sugar daddy got my jaw clamped shut so worked hard to get it unstuck only to have removed a molar in the process....

Was on a pond tying my skates and some kids were playing hockey in front of me. Someone took a shot and the puck deflected off their skates and right into my right eye, ended up with a nice shiner..

Gotta be some nice bee stories to share, hey dude hold my beer & watch this.......

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah, teeth stories...

I played hockey and had to cut the tape off my shin guards, well I'll just use my teeth, man that tape is tough, pulled a tooth out in the process of trying to tear it.

Bit down too hard into a sugar daddy got my jaw clamped shut so worked hard to get it unstuck only to have removed a molar in the process....

Dang bud! ...Hey! Weren't you one of the ones they found to sit on the porch pluckin' that banjo in the movie Deliverance?? :laughing7:

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gotta be some nice bee stories to share, hey dude hold my beer & watch this.......

Funny you say that, my wife got stung by one her bees again today.:laughing7:
Won't let me take a picture of her neck though.:dontknow:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I broke a tooth on a milkdud many halloweens ago, but it was filled tooth, had to be pulled.
....oh how you make us remember the "ouchfull" indiscretions of our past! Lol!

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wasn't gonna go down this street...but here goes....

Remember the pass out game?
I had done it a few times with my friends leading up to this, in the safety of my bedroom, or at others during a sleepover, a scary adrenaline rush, popular with troubled kids who are too scared to use drugs...yet.
So in 9th grade, during my social studies class, me and the gang were cutting up in class, during what was supposed to be study time.
I make sure they are going to catch me, they promised me they would...
I bend over, take 4 or 5 deep breaths, stand upright quickly, squeezing my neck tight to cut off the blood flow...
So I guess I fainted, fell backwards, but my friends thought I was faking, and didn't catch me...
I woke up in the hospital.
When I landed, I hit my head and knocked myself the fugout...ambulance called...probably quite the scene.
Hours later, time to leave the hospital, my Dad was still in uniform to pick me up and bring me home.
He was a firefighter, who was working that day...when the emt's returned to the station, they were like, hey Dave, it was your kid! I can still see the look of dissapointment in his face.
My return to school a few days later were filled with laughs, ridicule, and devastating embarrassment.
To this day, when someone uses the phrase "knock yourself out"... I respond, "I have!"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread