THE INJURY THREAD. Post your wounds here.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great...... Now I 'am trying to remember things I wanted to forget!:BangHead::laughing7:

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in a place for problem children because the state decided that I was a problem because I was a child. Anyway they put me in this place and the adults that they called house parents were mean as hell to us. I remember one day I got home from school and the little redneck guy who ran the whole place called me up to the office. He told me that he was gonna need me to drop my pants and I told him I wasn't into that and started to walk away and before I knew what was going on he slammed me against the wall and broke a paddle on my backside. I laughed at him and told him my great grandpa hit harder than that and he was dead. Of course that just got me into more trouble.

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow Cali. Kid....you been through a lot......
Given the context of the thread, great to read about your injuries. Stay strong!

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll bump the thread

Here is my post op picture. Fusion of l5-s1 vertabrae. This was my third back surgery. Fist 2 didn't help. Been 4 years since this surgery and I am very lucky that I have. Almost no pain

Original injury came from getting head on by a drunk driver. He was doing 75 and I was doing 60. Wasn't a pretty site

This is my lower back
View attachment 1348966
Thanks Turbo!....glad your pain is gone, that's some handy work there!

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem BWD, I like it ;) speaking of bb guns, I was about 14 yo, in a field near the woods, shooting at some black birds with my brand .177 air carabine. Was really excited about new airgun, so I missed the bird. Told myself "hem, need to align the sighting, eh". Began to play with the sightings and after a while decide to test by aiming a black spot in the center of a birch tree. The pellet make a swift sound and landed just between my eyebrows. Gave me a nice blue third eye for a few weeks. eh sorry my injuries are not as "nice" as some, but there stupid enough I hope. :laughing7::BangHead:

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reminds me of the time I was shooting at a bird in a tree with my homemade bow and arrow idea.
I miss, arrow lodges into a branch, there does little BWD, climbing up the tree, reach the arrow, yank it out....
Lucky when I fell I only broke my arm....the arrow didn't impale me like Karma should have.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of the time I was shooting at a bird in a tree with my homemade bow and arrow idea.
I miss, arrow lodges into a branch, there does little BWD, climbing up the tree, reach the arrow, yank it out....
Lucky when I fell I only broke my arm....the arrow didn't impale me like Karma should have.

We use to shoot our arrows straight up..Luckily!!!! No one ever got hurt from that...

You guys are talking about dumb things we did as kids and injuries.....How many of you cut the vines off at the bottom in the woods. I'll bet a lot of people did! Then swing out over a pond or ravine.:laughing7: It only took a few times, before you realized to check and make sure it's attached at the top REAL GOOD!! :laughing7:

Now, Teens and on? Ya, there are a lot of them...But I can't remember too many childhood injuries....I'll have to think about that......:icon_scratch:
Other than the normal stuff, getting dizzy on the "sit and spin", get up and run into stuff..that kind of stuff...

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@BigWaveDave Yeah, I have had a rough life from the start. I still haven't mentioned the time I was pronounced dead and woke up in the back of a meat wagon and scared the skidmarks out of the poor guys driving it. I don't remember much other than being stupid and sticking a knife into an electrical socket then I woke up in the back of the meat wagon. I was about 8 or 9 years old when that happened.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well little Limitool and his good friend entered a homemade kite flying contest in 8th grade. We had built some great homemade kites and damn they flew well. But boy did this last one fly real well. Well today was a Sat. and the contest was on Monday. We had all of our line out and flying high. So we started to "bring it home" little by little. We had it almost down and it broke free and landed in a LARGE maple tree near the road. No problem... it was only up about 20-25 ft. and we'll figure out a way to get it. Mr. "know it all" (me) says I'll go get it and up I go. I'm (was) a great tree climber. I get up there, grab the kite and headed back down. This tree was huge and the lower limbs were NOTHING you could hang from. I get about 15' from being done and drop the kite to the ground. Suddenly 3 baby raccoons come out from the trunk and climbed onto the same limb I'm on. How "cool"! Then mamma comes out and I find out quickly... THIS IS NOT COOL. I mean real uncool and quickly learned I was out of my element. She's making sounds I didn't know a racoon could make. I needed to get back to the trunk to get down.... but plan B quickly kicked in. Mamma coon was walking out on the limb and I needed to get off like NOW. I did my best to wrap around the limb, hang and drop but couldn't. I got half-way around the limb and did a "controlled" fall. I torn my knee and ankle up for weeks but totally recovered later. Mamma coon won.... and we got 2nd in the kite contest. Should have known what was coming!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
We use to shoot our arrows straight up..Luckily!!!! No one ever got hurt from that...

Yup! :headbang: I think that's a former right-of-passage in the growing up of a young boy. Nowdays they can't even draw a stick figure shooting an arrow straight up into the air!

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How many guys remember being 5 years old?... I do, like it was yesterday....
Summer of 1976, a day at the beach turned into a disaster.
Plymouth beach, in MA...

We were leaving the beach, and in the parking lot I noticed a nice, big, inviting mound of sand, like it was there for a reason. It was at the curb area, like where other cars were parked, and had left. So as Mom and Dad were getting us loaded up, I ran off, straight for that pile of sand!... I had to conquer it!!!
With both feet I jumped as high and as hard as I could, to smash that pile of sand to oblivion...because it was there.

¥€%#]'ffff@$-z&$$€~~^%#+= ".......bloody murder I screamed "a crab bit me! a crab bit me!....
I fell to the ground, worst pain I ever felt in my 5 years.

It wasn't a crab. It was freshly buried hot coals from a grill.:BangHead:
So Dad picks me up, carries me to the car to inspect what is now both of my burned feet....he sets me up on top of the car, which was a 1970 Camaro with the black vinyl top. There I go screaming again, as the hot sun turned that roof blazing hot, felt like a thousand degrees.
Left the hospital with both feet 3rd degree burns, probably only first degree on my back side of my legs.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya'll talkin' about BB guns. I had my trusty Daisy BB gun. Like everything else, I took it apart to see how it worked. When I put it back together, something had changed, as the trigger no longer worked. DARN! .....And then the discovery. I no longer needed the trigger. I'd open the lever (lever action, of course) and when I'd close the lever, it'd fire. AWESOME!! I was quick-shootin' everything around me! Airplanes up 30,000 feet in the air? No prob. Me and my trusty quick-fire BB gun to the rescue! An invasion of Kwai Chang Cain's invading like a hoard of "Grasshopper's"? No prob there, either. I'd mow them down in a heartbeat!

...No, no injuries from the BB gun - either with me or anything else. I knew better than to aim at anything that could get hurt. ...But the imagination was a fantastic way to pass time, as well as to learn! ...No telling how many times I single-handedly saved the world from impending doom! :laughing7:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Dave, I thought you were gonna jump on that big sand pile only to have it jump back - as someone buried in the sand for fun! :laughing9:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sand pile reminds me.....

She had basically never been out of Ohio, when we met...or that town....

We took a trip to AL. My family had some scattered land there at the time....We decided to walk a fence line basically in the middle of no where....Taking it slow, a lot of brush or overgrowth, or what ever you call that viney stuff that takes over the South...She starts yelling! I turn around, shes brushing one foot off, putting it down, then lifting the other brushing it off putting it down,.......... real fast back and forth!! Then I realized she was standing on a huge!!! Fire ant mound! I went over and pulled her off the hill as soon as I could take it all in!............She told me! "my foot was hurting so I went over to stand on that soft dirt!" :laughing7::laughing7: Welts all over! She learned what those "soft dirt" piles are!!:laughing7: We didn't have them like that in Ohio, or if there is, I've never seen them, Not that big.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh Gosh...that had to suck.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The sand pile reminds me.....

She had basically never been out of Ohio, when we met...or that town....

We took a trip to AL. My family had some scattered land there at the time....We decided to walk a fence line basically in the middle of no where....Taking it slow, a lot of brush or overgrowth, or what ever you call that viney stuff that takes over the South...She starts yelling! I turn around, shes brushing one foot off, putting it down, then lifting the other brushing it off putting it down,.......... real fast back and forth!! Then I realized she was standing on a huge!!! Fire ant mound! I went over and pulled her off the hill as soon as I could take it all in!............She told me! "my foot was hurting so I went over to stand on that soft dirt!" :laughing7::laughing7: Welts all over! She learned what those "soft dirt" piles are!!:laughing7: We didn't have them like that in Ohio, or if there is, I've never seen them, Not that big.

I've seen such heavy rain in Texas (Houston, specifically) that I've watched giant balls of fire ants go floating by in the swollen ditches. They'd make their nests in an area, then torrential rains would flood them out. So many of the ants would sacrifice themselves and become a raft for the rest of the colony. Have seen that many times.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember seeing some pictures here of fishing hooks at the wrong place. I did many times while trying to learn fly fishing by myself. Small ears are an asset, mine are too big. Hurts when a salmon fly does a new unvolontary piercing, learning curve gets shorter ;)

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Trying to think of a body part not injured at one time or another.
So far only armpits come to mind.

Most annual minimum visits to get patched up were my own doin and taping was not enough.
One not totally my doin involved a boat load of girls and a playful push when we stopped to play.
O.K. ,maybe that was my doin too.
I tried to clear the outerdrive's prop while falling/diving after being pushed but did not clear it with my shin. Glad the engine was not running.
Found out more about anatomy and view of shin bone depth on that one. Even scrubbed it for the queasy nurse.
When doc took the stitches out later he said no swimming for a couple more weeks and keep it taped.
So , being summer I went swimming then dirt biking..
Came off the knobbies on a turn for a crash... and when I checked my shin,a couple scraps of tape remained and an inch deep opening about for inches long.
Not too bad compared to original knee to near ankle cut ,but it hurt more.
Home made butterflies tacked it closed.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Home made butterflies tacked it closed.

Did you use duct tape or masking tape?? :laughing7: My go-to has (historically) been masking tape, but have also used duct and electrical. ...I guess usually it was what I could find first! :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread