THE INJURY THREAD. Post your wounds here.

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember when I was about 10 years old I was sitting in the livingroom watching tv and the neighborhood bullies decided to throw a brick through the window which was right behind where I was sitting and a piece of glass from the window sliced the back of my head wide open and blood went everywhere. My face was so covered in blood that I could barely see. I don't know why but that really made me mad and I jumped up and took off outside and chased them down the street and it was funny because they all ran away screaming and a few of them even got so scared that they started crying. They never messed with me after that. They were so scared of me after that, that they started telling everyone that I wasn't human.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you use duct tape or masking tape?? :laughing7: My go-to has (historically) been masking tape, but have also used duct and electrical. ...I guess usually it was what I could find first! :tongue3:
Narrow white surgical tape was first choice for cutting butterflies. Any tape was second choice..with duct a hardy selection ,but a tough to remove residue on tender site leaving dirty gummy lines.
Later crazy glue tacked things pretty good,with allowance for drainage. More fussy getting dry spots to tack ,but durable once accomplished.
Crazy glue by the way had a slight learning curve , for me at least.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I was never brave enough to try crazy glue for such purposes. :laughing7:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Narrow white surgical tape was first choice for cutting butterflies. Any tape was second choice..with duct a hardy selection ,but a tough to remove residue on tender site leaving dirty gummy lines.
Later crazy glue tacked things pretty good,with allowance for drainage. More fussy getting dry spots to tack ,but durable once accomplished.
Crazy glue by the way had a slight learning curve , for me at least.

Funny you mention "crazy glue".... Once I heard that super glue was used in surgery to close up some wounds it was like.... hell ya! Now I'm sure the glue they used was not the off the shelf stuff we all buy but I decided... close enough (because I know everything). Well fast forward a few months and I'm walking down a 6ft. step ladder with a Stanley knife in hand. One of the "old style" ones where the blade DOES NOT retract. I get near the bottom of ladder and not looking step on the edge of a gallon paint can and loose my balance. So I ended up stabbing myself in the left forearm. NASTY cut and with a dull blade to boot...! I buried all the blade sticking out of the handle. So I take off bleeding all over. I go outside to bleed out.... or until it kinda stops. Girlfriend then starts freaking out!!! I put pressure on it for a long time and it would "kinda stop" for a few seconds and then start back up again.

I told her "Go get the super glue out of my archery case". So I supplied the pressure for awhile and then cut loose with the glue. DAMN DOES THAT STUFF BURN. It kinda worked but I think the cut was to wide open for glue. So I put a little more on... (we all know more is better) but this time I put a piece of athletic tape across it just for good measure (like a huge butterfly). What an idiot!!!!

I bet NOBODY has EVER super glued a piece of athletic tape over a bad wound. I didn't shave my arm in that area either.... How stupid!!!!! I highly suggest just glue and/or the butterfly... :laughing7:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a post, in AU24k's camping thread he pulled his own tooth!! I thought "OHH MYY", I don't think I could do it!! I felt the pain just reading about it!!!:laughing7: Some of you guys are tougher than me...And I'm not scared or ashamed to admit it!!!

Limitool!!!:laughing7: Super glue? Why not, it hold a man to an I beam!! It should hold a cut!!!!!!

Actually, a doc told me to carry it in case of an emergency...It will work in an extreme situation, but still get to a doc as soon as you can, infection and deep damage was mostly the reason there. We got onto the subject because I wanted him to show me how to do stitches....He laughed and said "just carry super glue"...Gun powder is probably better, but....WOW, can't imagine that either!!

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In a post, in AU24k's camping thread he pulled his own tooth!! I thought "OHH MYY", I don't think I could do it!! I felt the pain just reading about it!!!:laughing7: Some of you guys are tougher than me...And I'm not scared or ashamed to admit it!!!

Limitool!!!:laughing7: Super glue? Why not, it hold a man to an I beam!! It should hold a cut!!!!!!

Actually, a doc told me to carry it in case of an emergency...It will work in an extreme situation, but still get to a doc as soon as you can, infection and deep damage was mostly the reason there. We got onto the subject because I wanted him to show me how to do stitches....He laughed and said "just carry super glue"...Gun powder is probably better, but....WOW, can't imagine that either!!

I do believe it will work... but you have to know when to use it. I believe my cut was gaping too wide open and I sure the hell wasn't gonna hold it shut with my fingers while the glue dried!!! It really needed 3 good stitches... but I was to lazy to go get them.

My 34 y/o son had an abscessed tooth (molar). No good job, no insurance... and no money. He *****ed about his tooth for 4-5 days. I finally said go get your pills tomorrow for the infection and set up a date to have it pulled. I'll pay for it.... Next morning he heads to the shop out back. Comes back with some tools and pulled the tooth out in his bathroom. Instant relief!!!! Not for the fainthearted.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Funny - didn't we all pull out some teeth as kids?? :laughing7: Yes, I know. They were falling out anyway! :tongue3:

I was about 12 or so, maybe a little younger, and was walking up the road to a friend's house while whittling. I stepped in a hole that didn't used to be there. My whole body crashed down into the hole (only 3"-4" - from a gopher, I think). Ended up cutting the outer left corner of my left pinky finger almost totally off. Was 1/2 mile from home and on foot, no traffic around. I simply walked home, trying to keep from accidentally tearing off the rest of the skin flap. Got home, washed it off well, then did my own bandage job. Now some decades later, I have a tiny little bulge on the outer tip of that finger. Had forgotten about it altogether, as there is ZERO pain or discomfort from it. ...Like it never happened. :icon_biggrin:

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's been almost two weeks now.....healing process now includes the early stages of a nail!
image.jpeg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your nailbed sorta looks like a face...

Like a babe wrapped in a blanket...

A REAL ugly baby :P

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lot of miles on those toes....
Looking back on my life, and jobs, now my career....I can't fathom how many steps I've taken.
I may have circumnavigated the globe a few times by now.....

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lot of miles on those toes....
Looking back on my life, and jobs, now my career....I can't fathom how many steps I've taken.
I may have circumnavigated the globe a few times by now.....

Hmmm you would think those suckers would have muscles. :P

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gotta say this.... Thus far I have a favorite post from this thread. And this is NOT to put anybody's injuries as less important. And I guess you got to be a certain age or generation to "relate". I guess I'm kind of locked onto "self inflicted injures" at the moment.

But for some reason Dr. Syn.'s post (#178) hits my radar the best! I had that pedal vehicle and can TOTALLY relate "approaching the speed of sound". :laughing7:

I LAUGHED MY ASS OFF... WENT AND TOLD THE WIFE... AND SHE LAUGHED HER OFF ALSO. Well written for those of us who can relate... I'm sure other member's can relate to others "good" posts also.

BWD.... good idea for a thread.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For Christ's sake QUIT staring...! Your trying to hard....?

Ahhhhh ...
contraire oh limitless one...

I cant stare at that if I tried...
I look and look away... trust me. heh

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey B Dubya D!! I think I should add a..."what if" to this thread.... I'll post my many hammers (10 at least..) and we can vote on which would do the most damage!!
See what you did??
OMG......

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta say this.... Thus far I have a favorite post from this thread. And this is NOT to put anybody's injuries as less important. And I guess you got to be a certain age or generation to "relate". I guess I'm kind of locked onto "self inflicted injures" at the moment.

But for some reason Dr. Syn.'s post (#178) hits my radar the best! I had that pedal vehicle and can TOTALLY relate "approaching the speed of sound". :laughing7:

I LAUGHED MY ASS OFF... WENT AND TOLD THE WIFE... AND SHE LAUGHED HER OFF ALSO. Well written for those of us who can relate... I'm sure other member's can relate to others "good" posts also.

BWD.... good idea for a thread.

I didn't have a pedal car but I can appreciate the idea.....We use to take the rear brakes out of our bikes and rework them so the bike could be pedaled forward or reverse.......Same idea...same thing that happens!!! It locks the pedals to the wheel.... You get going down hill and take feet off pedals because they are flying around too fast and then.......NO brakes and if you even try to stick you legs down your shins or cavs are going to get beating.!!:laughing7: I'm not even sure they use those brake set ups anymore....

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was 13, the family vacation brought us to a little town in Maine, where there was a country fair, that also had an auction for some reason. My winning bid was for $5 on a used skateboard. Time to go, we were parked at the bottom of a long hill. The pro that I was, it became obvious that I was gonna ride this thing all the way down. Half way down, with speeds getting real, the dreaded speed wobbles set it...I knew I was screwed.
My choice was guardrail, oncoming car, or bail and eat the pavement.
Keep in mind the fashion for 1984 was thin short shorts, and a muscle shirt, with my belly exposed.(I know, shut up)...
The road rash over most of my body took months to heal.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was 13, the family vacation brought us to a little town in Maine, where there was a country fair, that also had an auction for some reason. My winning bid was for $5 on a used skateboard. Time to go, we were parked at the bottom of a long hill. The pro that I was, it became obvious that I was gonna ride this thing all the way down. Half way down, with speeds getting real, the dreaded speed wobbles set it...I knew I was screwed.
My choice was guardrail, oncoming car, or bail and eat the pavement.
Keep in mind the fashion for 1984 was thin short shorts, and a muscle shirt, with my belly exposed.(I know, shut up)...
The road rash over most of my body took months to heal.

I still have a skateboard in the garage somewhere!! We could all get together and try this over beer!! I bet we could all do it "now that were older"!!:laughing7: If no hills? there is always ski rope and a car!! We use to tube or sled the back streets that way in the snow....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread