The kid in the candy store

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I feel just like that proverbial kid in a candy store. Confronted with the results of five straight years of heavy research I can confidently say I'm site rich. In fact I'm so site rich that even on the remote chance that I should by some miracle live beyond 100 years I could never thoroughly hunt all the locations which I've uncovered. So my puzzle now is what to do next. My knee jerk reaction might be as childish as that proverbial Kid. I just wanna hunt each site a litlle, just enough to get a taste and then move on. I've searched somewhat for a hunting partner but find I'm just a confirmed bachelor when it comes to treasure hunting. If I wasn't I still doubt even with a partner we could cover this many sites. Another thing is that I've come to love the research as much as the hunting. Finding the sites and then confirming their value either through monetary value or historical finds is a gas. To do away with my winter time hobby of research would be a shame but what am I to do ? I know allot of you will say just give the sites away, but that would be very hard for me to do, not outta greed but really just curiosity and I suppose a little pride. Anyone else find this to be their sitiuation and if so have you found a way to deal. :P :-[

Upvote 0

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Also Cyn,scroll down on that site and you will find Sells Bros and Sells&Gray.Don't forget to check out the 'history'button and just cruise the whole site.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
MD Dog said:
Cyn :angel4: you might need to recopy this one as I just edited it for something I left out.

sweet, thanks for letting me know....I added the edited version to my copy as well. ;D

warsawdaddy said:
I think I posted this or saw this in the links thread yrs ago,but,just for you guys here it is again;

http://www.circushistory.org/Routes/Route.htm

Yes Cyn,Sell's is listed there.HH

I got it bookmarked! yay! David is going to love to have some of this history of his family. You are too sweet! ~hugs~

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This I think is the best thread I have read in along time, you have shared a lot and have so much more to do!

You have what it takes the know how and the strong drive to do all the research!

Thank-you! For sharing and making me get off my Bu## to go do some more research!

And spelling doesn't matter its intresting and I would buy a book and if I could or can I would love to be able to hunt with you anytime!
If I can afford to get to there or if you ever get this way we will find some good spots to take you!

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same delima with locations but I do enjoy hunting with a buddy every now and then. I have had one partner in my life that I hunted with almost weekly during the time I lived in that location. Since I left there, I have been a loner more or less and the older I get the more I seem to prefer that. I do enjoy taking my sons with me when they want to go.

I agree with the research statement. It is almost as much fun to me as the hunt. Reading old newspapers, magazines, archived historical documents, maps and the like is really a great stress reducer. I find myself actually back in those days as I read and study the documents. It is like having to put a good book down everytime the research day comes to an end.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
so how would I go about finding old newspapers from the town I grew up in without driving over there....any good places online to pull them up? Would love to go back through old papers from way back....and from the 40's when my grandparents first moved to the area. I looked online but did not find them so was thinking maybe you guys would have secret places you find them. rofl

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Without going to the actual newspaper in question. I'd say your best bet would be a newspaper archive. I hope the Mods don't think this is an unpaid add. If so they can just edit it enough to help answer the question.
http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Default.aspx

BTW Warsaw Great link, that's one I didn't have. I like to post all the ones I do have but that seems quite a daunting task. well maybe the next time I'm laid up in bed with a heart attack I'll need something boring to do ! ;D ;D ;D

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

Oh and BTW....you are NOT allowed to be having any heart attacks even if we never get the links! :tongue3:

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You take care of yourself and get better we want you to be on here, you always have someting intesting to say and help to offer people! Prayers are sent your way! Evy

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Thank you Evy your so sweet. But I'm really doing fine right now. My refrence to another heart attack was simply that I refused the surgery to replace my heart Valve. The insurance company was squawking, but I told them I'd have to have the synthetic one instead of the Pig one because of my religious beliefs. The synthetic costs way more, they shut up and started saying the patient is always right. :D

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THEY said your right lol I dont think I've heard that from an insurance co. before! The only time I 've hears any thing close was when :icon_scratch: ;D

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Tip #14 High schools and middle as well as even elementary school libraries. Especially year books with photos/ articles. Ask them about any local history or photographs of the area from long ago. You'll be amazed at what some of the teachers will sumtimes pull outta some dark storage closet. I know a local high school history teacher here was really taken aback when I helped him search a storage area last year. I first asked him if he knew of anything being stored along those lines at the school. He cracked me up because he had never even thought to look and see what might be found in the many different dark areas of the school. I asked him at an appropriate time of year, the beginning of June just two weeks of school left. I knew that the teachers come in for a week after school lets out to clean their classrooms etc. He approached the school principle with the proposal that together we would clean out a number of areas free of charge. We even found some old paintings that the school made a really good profit from after auctioning them off last fall. I got some really good leads on such things as hangouts from as far back as the 1930s. I thought of this tip because the principle Herself called me and asked me back for this year, seems there's a whole attic of stuff to go through because of a Capitol Improvement the school is making this year.
;D :thumbsup: :tongue3: :icon_study:

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
lol you have a yearly job doing something you were hoping to do to begin with! Good idea! ;D

al-nm

May 8, 2008
new mexico
Detector(s) used
6000xlpro
someone asked about how to find old newspaper articles, go to a library and they can let you into the micro films. can spend days in there researching the past stories in news. sure wish i lived out east may have to move just to get n group hunts. there you can drive a hour and be in another state. out here you drive all day and still dont see a state line sign. also inside most court houses are pictures and layouts of how the town was when it first became a town up until present date. best way from experience is go to the local coffee shop the old timers know everything and what they dont know they will make up just so they can join the chatter.

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Tip #15 comes from Ivan Salis, Don't just take another persons word for it. When tracing facts, always go to the original document yourself, and read, study, examine all aspects of that document, map etc...
What someone else reads may not be what you find to be the correct interpretation or it might be a wrong translation. I once found letter that had been talked bout by many other would be treasure hunters and after reading it for my self found they had everyone, repeatedly either on purpose or by error had reversed certain parts of it in direction. IE; NNE Became SSW. Did it lead me to treasure ? no not yet. But I feel i'm definately allot closer than I would have been had I not examined the original documents myself.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Sorry so late getting to this.....have been on a 48 hr shift but I do have it in my MD DOG book! :wink: Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread