The kid in the candy store

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I feel just like that proverbial kid in a candy store. Confronted with the results of five straight years of heavy research I can confidently say I'm site rich. In fact I'm so site rich that even on the remote chance that I should by some miracle live beyond 100 years I could never thoroughly hunt all the locations which I've uncovered. So my puzzle now is what to do next. My knee jerk reaction might be as childish as that proverbial Kid. I just wanna hunt each site a litlle, just enough to get a taste and then move on. I've searched somewhat for a hunting partner but find I'm just a confirmed bachelor when it comes to treasure hunting. If I wasn't I still doubt even with a partner we could cover this many sites. Another thing is that I've come to love the research as much as the hunting. Finding the sites and then confirming their value either through monetary value or historical finds is a gas. To do away with my winter time hobby of research would be a shame but what am I to do ? I know allot of you will say just give the sites away, but that would be very hard for me to do, not outta greed but really just curiosity and I suppose a little pride. Anyone else find this to be their sitiuation and if so have you found a way to deal. :P :-[

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD Dog said:
Anyone else find this to be their sitiuation and if so have you found a way to deal. :P :-[

Several times I have felt this way--but then I've moved and started over with a blank slate :P

MD Dog said:
Another thing is that I've come to love the research as much as the hunting.

No kidding! I'm on board with that comment!

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Tip #10 When doing your research of possible hunting sites be sure to include a survey report. Knowing the boundaries of a particular search site can prevent disasters like Trespassing and a loss of your finds. Also knowing the boundaries can give you clearer Ideas of where to search, for instance many people spend time at their state and county city or town parks searching the open spaces and never realizing the parks boundaries may extend far far into the woodland. The last word on this subject is after you find a survey of the potential site also look at who owns what properties around this locale, I have on a number of occassions found that the priciple owner of a property also owns adjoining properties, sometimes even bigger than the original one.
:icon_study:

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
very interesting...I never thought about boundaries going further than originally thought. Definitely need to keep this one in mind...especially with the no trespassing portion to think about. :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD Dog said:
Tip #10 When doing your research of possible hunting sites be sure to include a survey report. Knowing the boundaries of a particular search site can prevent disasters like Trespassing and a loss of your finds. Also knowing the boundaries can give you clearer Ideas of where to search, for instance many people spend time at their state and county city or town parks searching the open spaces and never realizing the parks boundaries may extend far far into the woodland. The last word on this subject is after you find a survey of the potential site also look at who owns what properties around this locale, I have on a number of occassions found that the priciple owner of a property also owns adjoining properties, sometimes even bigger than the original one.

Can I add to this tip? Here's one that relates, that I found out a while back: ALWAYS hunt every potential site on an owner's property before moving on. Some of my best finds would never had been made if I failed to do this.

Cheers,

Buckleboy

bennym

Apr 13, 2008
Gardner, Ma.
Detector(s) used
American Hawks Explorer HP 1016 & Harbor Freight pin pointer
Great Info Dog ! You've gotten my brain gears moving.....
I remember in my area of Massachusetts in the good weather, spring, summer, fall.... traveling carnivals were the thing..... they usually always set up in a big open field too, and most of the time that field was city/town owned.... mostly all of the small cities and towns around me don't have any restrictions on MDing on their land.... ;D

With all the fun rides they had people were always loosing things.... ;D

In fact there are still a few of those carnivals that still come around once or twice a year.... ;D

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I personally find it humorous when I see others on here discussing the end of the silver era for MDing. Yet here in the oldest most historic parts of the country, (The north east), I'm constantly amazed by the lack of truly shearched out locations. I sometimes get the feeling a average person with very little experience at MDing could be successful in just about any open field or woodlot because so few have been searched before. So where were the expert hunters in the 70s-80s. I guess at least in my neck of the woods they spent their time in the parks or on the beaches but didn't bother with any deep researched places because they didn't need to.

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Tip # 11 Look for a local resource for aireal photos. My local Tax office actually makes aerial photos available online along with alot of other info like who owns the properties etc.. Yours may not be that involved but just about every community has them done at one time or another by someone or another. Next spend your long cold winter nights studying these pictures for features that can be discerned. Then study them for the features that can't be discerned, it is these anomolies which we should be interested in. Investigate the areas even during the winter, this can be the ideal time of year to do this, if need be dig down through the snow to find out whats below. Learn what these undistinguishable features are and as you do you'll find some that really stand out as mysteries those are where I would concentrate some effort in the subsequent summer. Also ask around to see if they've ever been done in infrared or other types of lighting. Make map overlays and use them for directional control as well as boundary markers. In other words don't get lost in some deep woods somewhere know what your doing before heading out into any isolated place. Go prepared take extra provissions make plans like what would you do if you found King Solomons long lost treasure in a cave. Or what will you do if you come accross some illegal activity. I always find it a hard choice between going alone or with back up. Since I don't have any other full time hunters in my area I'm inevitably alone but I bring weapons and my dog just for a second pair of eyes. I also tell my wife where I'm headed, but no one else. That said I know some of you don't have a someone else so try a close freind Write down your destination with duplicate maps etc...hand it to them in a sealed envelope and ask them to just hold it for you and not open it unless you go missing, stress to them that you'll expect it back in the same condition as you gave it to them at such and such time.
One last thing I think I should tell everyone here at this point. I'm a firm believer in keeping your mouth shut, even from the wife I would not tell if I find something of real value. Not to hide it from her but to keep security until I've made decisions about how to handle the sitiuation.

bennym

Apr 13, 2008
Gardner, Ma.
Detector(s) used
American Hawks Explorer HP 1016 & Harbor Freight pin pointer
Another great tip Dog........

PS... I bring the wife.... but I keep her blindfolded until we get to the spot so she doesn't really know where she is, that way she can't give anything away ! :icon_jokercolor: :violent1: J/K

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Mddog

Man. there must be alot of historical places in NY huh?? I live down here in jacksonville and the problem I have is that when I find a good spot it is usually:

a. Marked for historical
or
b. A place with alot of foot traffic.

should maybe I just hunt them out regardless??

larry

Great tips by the way! :icon_study:

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Never hunt any place marked in any way Historical. The places with foot traffic must be public so I'd give them a shot if I felt there was anything worthwhile there, I mean besides the usuall Clad. I'm not sure which Jacksonville you are referring to since just about every state has one but tell me which one and I'll see what I can find for you Larry.

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Tip #12 public libraries are great but the private ones are even better. I say that because so few people are aware of them, and or make the effort to gain access to them. Where might one find out about these locals. Start by looking for book collectors in your vicinity, they are often listed in the yellow pages of major cities. For more rural locales try asking your local librarian if they know of any collectors or private libraries. I uncovered a private library owned by a woman who was 88 years old that I met at a genealogy conference. Funny thing was I was actually crashing they're party in the lobby of a hotel where I was staying while having business meetings all week. There she was sitting all by herself sipping a whiskey sour and staring off into space. I approached her because she looked lonely. What a great evening I shared with this women listening to her recount her own vivid memories as well as sharing what she had uncovered about her own family as well as her husbands who had passed some ten years earlier. When She invited me to meet her at her home later in the week I was I'll admit a little reticent. But I took my wife along and was stunned to be greeted in her 10,000 book private library filled with many recent additions to her collection which she also used for her genealogy studies. I haven't begun to scratch the surface, and time is running out she's 94 now and her family has broached the subject of a nursing home, which she steadfastly refuses. I do occasionally wish I had the guts or a subtle way of broaching the subject of maybe inheriting at least access to the library in the future.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Very good tip MD Dog! Too few of us take the time to listen to the elders to begin with and I am glad you have befriended this lady. I hope they find a way to keep her in her home instead of having to move to a nursing home. She would be much happier in her familiar surroundings with her books and her other things. I had not thought to find private libraries. I would love to find someone with such a treasure!

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
It pays to hang out where the older folks do, and just ask. Do you by chance have much of a book collection ? Remember books were for the older generations far more important for entertainment as well as scholarly work than they are to this generation.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
unfortunately I have a very small amount of books now. When I divorced and had to move myself and my two children back home I donated a very large library of books to the church there as well as to a used book store. It took two loads in the pickup to take them all away and it SUCKED. Of everything I lost it was the books that was the hardest to get over. I will just have to start collecting again! :wink: I do love to read! I have every intention of building another collection slowly but surely. :icon_study: I am one that rarely turns the tv on....I am either at the computer reading or in a book reading anytime I am home and do not have work to do. lol

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Lucky tip #13. Pictures and post cards. just do a search on ebay or anyother similar site, for your hometown and see what comes up picture wise. Also try park names , swimming holes, picnic groves etc.... I'm sure you'll find allot of older ones of places you know but also allot of ones you didn't know. It's great to know the age of a park for instance which you hunt on a regular basis, but the real payoff here are the names of the parks, swimming holes, picnic groves, camp sites, etc... you never knew that used to exist but are no longer there. Once you get a name use that for further research. The number of online places that sell and or store such pictures is unlimited. Don't forget to look at painted pictures as well. They although may have an artists conceptualized vision of the location, it's the name of said location that we are interested in here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread