The Last Voyage of the San Miguel

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
I just got through going over my “reader’s copy” of Robert H. Baer’s book, “The Last Voyage of The San Miguel”.

For any of you who have been following our shipwreck’s story this book is a must read.

If I were to let my ego take over – there are some micro issues, as in all third party interpretations of past events,
I will prefer to clarify; but Dr. Bob has done an exemplary job paraphrasing over 25 years of earnest group and individual
efforts to solve the enigma of this hitherto lost or “buried” maritime historic event.

Anybody can write a book or treaties on anything and anyone in this wonderful world we live in.

I, for one count myself lucky that a sincere and educated professional – who was developing his own
parallel path, was there – almost from the beginning, to archive events associated with our efforts to bring
our story to all of you. “The Last Voyage of the San Miguel” is Dr. Bob’s own story of our story.

I genuinely am now motivated to finish volume I and II of my trilogy of manuscripts so those
of you who may wish to read my prospective of this event - can.

Thanks again Dr. Bob.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I heard there were some wonderful photographs in the book.

::)

OP
OP
capt dom

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Dear Tom,

Some of the photos I supplied to Bob you took.

I am sorry that his publisher - who monitors this blogging site
may have not completely attributed the proper photo credits
of photos I or my wife are in that obviously neither of us could have
took.

If anything about this can be done about this lets see if he responds.

OP
OP
capt dom

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Dr. Bob, the author immediately got back with me on this
issue and is doing his best to rectify it.

He rightfully assumed that if I provided him with the photos
I most likely controlled or owned the rights to them. Over the years
a hard lesson I have come to learn is when people, some friends and others
come to participate in our adventure in discovery - including the media
photos and video of you and the actions you have invited them to
take part in..... decide their photos become their personal property and
ownership is not shared or yours to use.

I have a practical problem with this concept.
Most everyone craves and deserves recognition for genuine positive participation in an event.

But copy write laws are designed support
the intellectual rights of those who take the photos rather than the subject matter
of the photos.

It is a fact that they too (whoever takes photos) are suppose to get the subject matter to "sign off" which in the
case of all these pictures, in question, nobody bothered to do..... :o :o :o
Including my wife who started, with the belly aching about photo credits......

But this isn't heaven.... :help: Its just earth.....
and sometimes oversights and mistakes happen.
And, sometimes - with some authors, they are deliberate.
This is not the case with our contributed photos (Jupiter coins, Yvonne and Tom's)

And those who took actually took the photos of at least me and or my wife and me,
(I can't speak for individuals who took the photos of Peter) Like Tom will be acknowledged
in future editions. Dr.Bob has assured me of this....

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Capt. Dom:

I hope some of the TreasureNet advertisers pick up this title and offer it for sale. I'd like to support the folks who support this website.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
which san miguel ? theres more than one --in the 1715 fleet alone (Echeverz's fleet part) --theres at least 2 of em --- the smallish dutch prize vessel captured off south america --- San Miguel (also known by the following names and nick names - #1 San Miguel , #2 La Hollandesa (the dutch) , #3 Olandesa (dutch) , #4 the "dutch prize"

then theres the "tobacco hauling" NAO class vessel - San Miguel which stayed in Havana loading tobacco and rejoined the fleet when they returned from the mexican and south american treasure ports * the tobacco ship was likely to be carrying lots of smuggled illegal gold --out of havana :wink:

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Ivan , as usually well informed . You are a tru researcher . Not hearsay , but facts !!!!! Cornelius

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ivan, you should know by now that Capt. Dom is working the Jupiter Wreck also known as the San Miguel de Archangel 1659.

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Salvor . The wreck is supposed to be the Archangel but there is no proof it IS the Archangel . And .... are Scott and Capt Dom both working the wreck ? Just curious . Cornelius

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Cornelius,
The answer to your question is yes, although they are both taking a different approach. BTW Ivan, as much as I appreciate your intensity and diligence, I'm afraid you are off base on your analysis of this particular wreck.
Aquanut

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
opps sorry --- clearly this is a differant San Miguel altogether * not a 1715 fleet vessel at all (* maddening how the spanish used the same basic "religious names" over and over again often many years apart )--so theres numerious "San Miguels" from several differant eras and places , and at times even in the same fleet at the same time - some bigger or smaller than others and carrying totally differant cargos .

but then that is what researching is all about. :read2: :coffee2: :wink:

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the San Miguel de Archangel. Read the book and you will see that it is identified as such (or using different articles in Spanish, still Michael the Archangel, Saint). I know that Ivan and Cornelius have not read it yet, ergo, can't argue the point. The book is available at SOS antiques in St. Augustine, West Bay Trading in Vero, from Pete Leo, Dr. Baer himself, or you can get a signed copy from me. Also available on Amazon. Bobadilla has a copy, Chagy has a copy, Buddy Martin has a copy, Goldminer 49er has copy, Old Bookaroo has a copy, and Alan Workman has a copy, among others on this forum.

If you have any Jupiter Wreck coins, you probably should have a copy of this book.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
signem up - the proper translation of it from the spanish ship name in my veiw is thus "Saint Micheal the Archangel" --but some would put the "saint" at the back end .--- the north coast of st augustin , coast north of st augustin type "translation issue"

looks like I'm going to be getting another book for my "collection" next time I see you. ;D

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I am avidly reading this book, and in my opinion it is first-rate. The problem with so many sunken treasure books is that they were not written by folks who've been there and done that.

This book is a rare insight into the day-to-day hard work of treasure salvage. Written by a professional archaeologist, it also presents a very fair (two-sided) view of treasure hunters vs. archaeologists.

There is a great deal of useful Spanish treasure fleet history, and quite a bit of how-to information on treasure salvage.

Again, I have not yet finished this excellent work. I will publish a full "review" when I've read the whole thing.

Terry was kind enough to send me a review copy.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Bookaroo:
I took your advice and left a comp copy with Frank Picon at Kellyco, one of the advertisers on Treasurenet. He's bought other books from me in the past, however, he was not in the office when I went over, so I left him the book and contact info. Have not heard anything yet.

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MadForWrecks:
You want an answer, you need to clear out your inbox. Otherwise, I will post my reply on the board.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
inbox is clear and you have my email address.

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mad4wrecks:
Live by the sword, die by the sword. I guess you need to check in with central control. Inbox still full.

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 530

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dominic has already apologized. But he is not the author or the publisher. I am still awaiting to hear from you and Dr. Baer personally.

I am not sure what you reasoning is for replying to a personal PM here in a public forum when you have my email address. That is not what I expected from you Terry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread