The Many Lost Treasures of Mariposa, CA (Photos Added)

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle my southern brother,

How did I not know it was your birthday? Regardless, a great big happy birthday to you!! (Later is much, much better than never.)

Here's a genuine Canadian picture I took for you from all the way up here in the Great White North. I've kept it chilled all this time so it would be fresh and very cool for your birthday. Ha, ha!

I hope you had a great one Eagle, and all the best to you,

Lanny
Well, the picture served its purpose. It got down into the 20s last night. (lol) I know it's colder up there Brother, but I've grown soft over the years I guess. To me, anything below 40F is cold!! Hopefully, I'll get over to AZ in the next month or so, I know it's warmer there. (lol)

All the best,

Eagle

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Eagle,

Happy late B-Day. I started reading your thread a week ago and it was hard to put it down. I am new to the whole gold prospecting thing but I feel like I have learned an enormous amount from reading your posts. My son and I went hiking in Briceburg a few weeks back and had a great time just going down the river trail to the north fork. It was his first time there and my second time. I plan on going up there more often now and I am trying to convince my wife and girls to come along. Anyway thank you for all of the knowledge you are sharing and hopefully I will see you on the river some day.
Halito My Friend,

Thank you for your post. And, welcome to Tnet and this thread. Hope to hear more from you as you progress in your prospecting experiences. You are very welcome to all of the knowledge that I have to give. If I have helped you along the way, then I have been well recompensated!!

Best of luck,

Eagle

Cl1983

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even Northern California has been warmer. We've been in the 60's during the day probably 40's at night. It's making me want to run over to the trinity now that the snow isn't here yet and the rain didn't do much to play in the river with my cheap sluice

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even Northern California has been warmer. We've been in the 60's during the day probably 40's at night. It's making me want to run over to the trinity now that the snow isn't here yet and the rain didn't do much to play in the river with my cheap sluice
Halito My Friend,

Send some of that warmth down here. My advice on the Trinity would be to get out and get some gold, while you can. (lol)

Eagle

Cl1983

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I was thinking. I've never been prospecting that way but I know some areas that are open to everyone and have read about some creeks on blm lands nearby. I have to go to the blm office for a class anyways weds so I may as well grab some maps and info.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well brother. Our trip was great. It was me and another TNeter. Some others were going to try and make it. Or possibly couldn't follow my directions. My area has been hit hard by other diggers. Even my hole was jumped. Then they doubled it in size. I knew I was getting close to bedrock. Only about 4" I would've got it. That's ok though. I could've claimed it back, but I figured they'd be gone in a month. So just let him enjoy it. Plenty left over. So I went where others didn't want to go. Surprised nobody was in that hole too. First test pan showed about 20-30 colors. So we dug away. Then I did a test the next day. About 60 gals of dirt later. Still more color. Didn't take pics of the sassy color yet. I'll do the cons from the 60 gals and then show you some rich hill gold. (Not of the hill exactly).
I wasn't going to bring home dirt but since my buddy was taking home dirt (15 gals) I took home more too. About another 40 gals or so.
Here's a pic of different color. These were done in the evening and I wish I would've done a couple morning shots. The days were nice. Long sleeves a must. Cat claws like to scratch ya. Night time got cold. Second night froze my water about 1/4".

Attachments

• image-1636954493.jpg
    image-1636954493.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 98
  • image-550445847.jpg
    image-550445847.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 87
OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well brother. Our trip was great. It was me and another TNeter. Some others were going to try and make it. Or possibly couldn't follow my directions. My area has been hit hard by other diggers. Even my hole was jumped. Then they doubled it in size. I knew I was getting close to bedrock. Only about 4" I would've got it. That's ok though. I could've claimed it back, but I figured they'd be gone in a month. So just let him enjoy it. Plenty left over. So I went where others didn't want to go. Surprised nobody was in that hole too. First test pan showed about 20-30 colors. So we dug away. Then I did a test the next day. About 60 gals of dirt later. Still more color. Didn't take pics of the sassy color yet. I'll do the cons from the 60 gals and then show you some rich hill gold. (Not of the hill exactly).
I wasn't going to bring home dirt but since my buddy was taking home dirt (15 gals) I took home more too. About another 40 gals or so.
Here's a pic of different color. These were done in the evening and I wish I would've done a couple morning shots. The days were nice. Long sleeves a must. Cat claws like to scratch ya. Night time got cold. Second night froze my water about 1/4".
Sounds like a good time. I just checked with 'map quest', it looks like about 610 miles to Stanton. (Or, about a 12 hour drive). I think my old Explorer might make it there and back. Perhaps in March.

angelus2k5

Mar 12, 2013
San Bernardino
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Brother!!

A gift of cash is always nice. (lol) After all is said and done, that's pretty much what gold means to me. (just another form of money) I find it, sell it for as much as I can, then buy groceries. With almost 117,000 visits to this thread, I can't help but wonder that if everyone who really likes my stories would send $5.00 to my paypal acct, how much would I have, to continue my prospecting and writing. Probably at least $15.00. (lol)

Thanks for the thought and the happy B-Day!!

now that you mention selling it, ive always wondered how/where would you go to sell those sassy nuggets? would it make more sense to melt all the flakes and dust into a little bar and sell it or is that not allowed? maybe you could post a little bit of your knowledge that would help us newbies when it comes to selling our sassy finds.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now that you mention selling it, ive always wondered how/where would you go to sell those sassy nuggets? would it make more sense to melt all the flakes and dust into a little bar and sell it or is that not allowed? maybe you could post a little bit of your knowledge that would help us newbies when it comes to selling our sassy finds.
There are a few things you can do with the fine gold; I am in a high tourist area. They come from all over the world just to see Yosemite Park. (Among other things). I found out in the 70's that a lot of them would like to take a little gold home, to show to their friends. So, I bought a gross of 1dwt vials. I would put about 5 grains of little flakes in each, with a little bleach/water, (A little bleach keeps the water clean), and then, I sold them for $12.00 each. Remember, gold was less than $100 per oz. during that time, but I still used the gross of vials (144 vials) and probably half of another gross, before I left the river for a couple of years. (Personal business).

And, to the best of my knowledge, there are no restrictions on melting the gold down and casting a small bar. But, you wouldn't be able to (legally) claim its purity, unless you took it to a cerified assayer and had him check and stamp it. Of course, the upside of that is; as a general rule of thumb, the smaller the gold, the greater the potential is for increased purity.

As far as selling gold, I'd say that as long as you know the legal guidelines and don't cross over, let your imagination be your guide. (lol)

Note: I had some cards made attesting to the fact that the gold came from the Merced River and was found after it had been washed out of the park. Actually, you could put whatever you want on the card, but I believe in honesty, so I made it brief and to the point. Read your card and see if from reading it, would you be comfortable in buying that little bit of gold.

Incidentally, I was in ebay and found some molds for casting 1oz bars. I prefer selling my gold "Au Natural". (lol)

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like a good time. I just checked with 'map quest', it looks like about 610 miles to Stanton. (Or, about a 12 hour drive). I think my old Explorer might make it there and back. Perhaps in March.
Here's the gold from the cons for the 59 gals of dirt. Tried separating the gold by shaking the cons in the jar. First pic was what was left in bottom of the jar. The other pic shows what was left floating in the slurry. Which I dumped twice into my gold pan. I couldn't believe the amount that was suspended.

Attachments

• image-2898224773.jpg
    image-2898224773.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 102
  • image-3276694383.jpg
    image-3276694383.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 101

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's a video by ask Jeff Williams. He mentions four places to send gold. These places have prices based on clean gold. Some take buttons to bars. Another takes the fines 10 mesh and less. He pays 90%. Another pays 98% and the other two pay 95%. These values are for 24 k pure. So more than likely a little less.
In the video he explains how to melt and classify your gold. Definitely something I didn't know about. Plus he says if it doesn't go through the 10 mesh. Then these are worth more. So you might want to make sure you classify before melting. Definitely something I'm thinking about.

angelus2k5

Mar 12, 2013
San Bernardino
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a video by ask Jeff Williams. He mentions four places to send gold. These places have prices based on clean gold. Some take buttons to bars. Another takes the fines 10 mesh and less. He pays 90%. Another pays 98% and the other two pay 95%. These values are for 24 k pure. So more than likely a little less.
In the video he explains how to melt and classify your gold. Definitely something I didn't know about. Plus he says if it doesn't go through the 10 mesh. Then these are worth more. So you might want to make sure you classify before melting. Definitely something I'm thinking about.

i love jeffs videos!! he has a way of explaining and demonstrating various skills that make it easy for greenhorns such as i to learn. how cool would it be if jeff interviewed and made a video with good 'ol eagle as a guest star. can anyone say instant hit?

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i love jeffs videos!! he has a way of explaining and demonstrating various skills that make it easy for greenhorns such as i to learn. how cool would it be if jeff interviewed and made a video with good 'ol eagle as a guest star. can anyone say instant hit?
Sounds like it might be fun. But, I'm looking for fortune, not fame. (lol) I'm not sure I'd have anything to contribute that Jeff hasn't already covered. But, thanks for the thought!!

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ask Jeff Williams dot commmmmmmm. With special legendary guest Eagle.

I like it. Just watch out for slim. He likes to take the gold. According to Jeff. Lol

I know I'd like to tag along for a video making. He's got some good spots nw from me. I've been wanting to head out that way too.
Eagle. That'd put in less drive time. We could hunt the gold basin. Good gold. Just need to use that great knowledge of yours. Just need to watch out for the rattle snakes. They could be aggressive.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask Jeff Williams dot commmmmmmm. With special legendary guest Eagle.

I like it. Just watch out for slim. He likes to take the gold. According to Jeff. Lol

I know I'd like to tag along for a video making. He's got some good spots nw from me. I've been wanting to head out that way too.
Eagle. That'd put in less drive time. We could hunt the gold basin. Good gold. Just need to use that great knowledge of yours. Just need to watch out for the rattle snakes. They could be aggressive.
Is the gold basin in AZ? I've never prospected in AZ, but gold pretty much acts the same where ever it is. I ran across this item below that I thought was interesting. (Besides the fact that that's the same make and model drywasher that I have). Unfortunately, the artical doesn't say where it is.

His First Time Out With His Drywasher

A friend of mine purchased a Royal Drywasher at the GPAA Gold Show on Saturday during our very short visit to the show. So off we went down south today to an area I thought might produce gold, I was a little Leary that we may have issues with the clay. I was not be much help other than to setup the drywasher correctly and clean the hopper while smashing the clay balls for him because of recently replaced shoulder. Here's some of the gold his new toy captured. He's was very excited and I am sure he will be making many trips with his DW as he has the summers off.

Last edited:

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow. Nice color for a new toy.
Definitely breaking up clay balls has it's reward.
The basin is in nw portion of AZ. Some of its west of where I play.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Nice color for a new toy.
Definitely breaking up clay balls has it's reward.
The basin is in nw portion of AZ. Some of its west of where I play.
It's a great piece of equipment for dry country. My friend and I did some experimenting with mine; we took a leaf blower out with it. That way, while I'm running materials through the drywasher, (using the leaf blower for the riffle section), he can take the bucket with the engine mounted on top, and use the vacumm for crevasses. Then he brings the material to me to run through the drywasher. We've found that it works great. Now all we have to do is wait for things to dry back out. (lol)

Blauth

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2012
Baja California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi -Eagle. I just wanted to say hi, happy belated birthday and let you know many people keep up with your good life even if they don't post regularly.

I love to hear you and your friends enjoying the joy of real Gold. Because of you I convinced my children and their families to go camping At Puertoicitos, Baja California. We kicked the rocks but the only gold we found was just being together.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions