The Many Lost Treasures of Mariposa, CA (Photos Added)

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hoping these two finds are getting me close to where I might find some nuggets. Eagle and Shep, since you two guys are local, this is practically in my back yard and certainly from the right era, and the best relics I've found to date.

PICT2358.JPG PICT2364.JPG

MariposaGold

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hoping these two finds are getting me close to where I might find some nuggets. Eagle and Shep, since you two guys are local, this is practically in my back yard and certainly from the right era, and the best relics I've found to date.

MariposaGold
Hand cut (home made) square nails, an old padlock and the shovel all indicate that you're definately in the right era. Now all you have to do is determine where their gold is.

Thanks for the photos!!

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice finds Mariposa. Are those other relics around that spade also from the same area?

I've found some old hinges but not shovels or ax heads. Thing was that my hinges were in different spots though the same area. I found gold in the area. In the wash. I do think this area is part of the ancient wash but is now a huge bench where possibly the ranchers played/settled on.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Halito to All,

Since "The Book" is coming along nicely, I've done a little checking, and found that having a real book published will be quite a bit more than I can afford, So, I'm putting up my two domain names for sale. The first one was registered by me several years ago. When I registered it, the registrar said: "Wow!! You've got a "million dollar" name there". The second domain is new. I just registered it. I believe it would be worth more than the first one. But, I'll sell them for a minimum of $25,000 each.

If any of my fine readers would like to try their hand at selling these for me, I'm offering a 20% commission. That would come to a commission of $5,000 on a $25,000 sale. This offer is open to all. If you're interested, just send me a pm with any questions, and I'll be glad to reply with details.

Love and Respect,

Eagle

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Mariposa. Are those other relics around that spade also from the same area?

I've found some old hinges but not shovels or ax heads. Thing was that my hinges were in different spots though the same area. I found gold in the area. In the wash. I do think this area is part of the ancient wash but is now a huge bench where possibly the ranchers played/settled on.

a 1875ish Padlock, 3 Ax heads and the Shovel, where all found in the general area.

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

a 1875ish Padlock, 3 Ax heads and the Shovel, where all found in the general area.

Last edited:

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd help ya eagle if I could. Got to hit the mother lode first. You're sitting on it for sure.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd help ya eagle if I could. Got to hit the mother lode first. You're sitting on it for sure.

I'm sitting on WHAT?? And here everyone's telling me I'm sitting on my butt. (lol)

OK, for the past few days, I haven't been getting notification of new posts. Not only in this thread, but also 3 or 4 other ones I subscribe to. No problem staying signed in though. I wonder if it's my pc, or the site?

Anyway, if I take a while in answering, you know why.

angelus2k5

Mar 12, 2013
San Bernardino
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was just getting ready to hi-jack your thread and post this. i wonder which lost treasure story this one comes from? needless to say some people have all the luck.
I know!! It should have been found by someone who really deserves it..........like me. (lol)

Mayor

Apr 3, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK Eagle maybe it's time to tell you a story about lost and found gold. Here goes.. My son in law Jerry was working with a small crew of around 12 Wards (inmates) from Pine Grove Camp a CYA/CDF (CA Youth Authority/CA Dept. of Forestry) camp at the Indian Grinding Rock State Park in Pine Grove, CA. It was a wet day, mostly drizzle with a little rain mixed in. The project they had been working on was the removal of Manzanita and other brush that was encroaching on the Meadow, essentiality enlarging the meadow. Well they were cutting and clearing the brush putting them into burn piles as well as digging out the roots to ****** it’s regrowth. Well he noticed numerous holes that had been dug and mounds of dirt left in the area but could not figure out why someone had done that, but there were lots of them in that area. Anyway at lunch time he sent about half the group to the bus to prepare for lunch. As the rest of the crew was still working he stumbled on something. As it turned out it was an old rusty pipe so he gave a good kick with his foot and it took flight and landed near one of the crew members who promptly pick it up and gave it a throw toward a pile of junk they had collected. Well as that piece of pipe was flying end over end through the air things started coming out of the end falling all over it’s path. Well being curious as to what was falling out the Ward went over and picked up one. He looked at it and asked Jerry is this real? Jerry took it out of his hand and was looking at a $20.00 gold coin. He quickly replied “No they’re not real” but the cat was out of the bag and the young man yelled “Hey I found GOLD” Well you can image what happened next as the remaining crew members came running up. Yep, they were all over the place picking up or searching for the gold pieces. Soon with the commotion they were making it drew the rest of the crew who were preparing for lunch into the foray. Well I tell you Jerry was beside himself as he now had two coins and asked for the return of the rest but no one was about to give any of it up freely.

So Jerry radioed to the camp which is only 1 1/2 miles away and asked the secretary who had answered his radio call to send back up (another staff member) and a cell phone. When asked “Why” he replied I have found something and I don’t want to broad cast it on the radio. Well the Assistant Superintendent got on the radio and again asked why. He just repeated his request for backup and a cell phone so he could call the camp and explain. So soon (around 10 to 15 mins) backup arrived, one staff member with a cell phone. So Jerry called the camp and told them what they had found. Well excitement was running high and Jerry and the other staff member commenced to do a strip search of the Wards (remember these are young men 18 to 25 years old who weren’t there for being boy scouts). In all they recovered ten $20.00 gold pieces that were minted in the 1880’s to the 1920’s. Having completed the search hoping they had found all of them they decided to head back to camp. Well let me tell you that doing a thorough search of inmates, tools, bus and the surrounding area takes time. So loading up the crew they set off to the camp to figure out what to do with the gold. Now Jerry had the coins in his pocket and also brought along that piece of pipe. The pipe was thin soft walled and it had been crimped on one side but the other side was open and jagged like it had rusted through allowing it to be open as I am sure both sides had been crimped shut to contain the contents before being hidden. Anyways all loaded up and starting to drive out of the park a pickup with a female park ranger suddenly flew up the road and blocked their exit. Well with that truck blocking their exit Jerry got out of the bus and asked what was going on. The Ranger said “I want those gold coins”. Jerry replied “What coins?” She said “the gold ones you found on state property”. Well Jerry tried to talk her out of it say he was a State employee and was taking them to a State facility but she would have none of it. He had asked how she knew about them and she told him the Headquarters in Sacramento had called them. So seeing no other avenue he finely agreed to give them to her if she would give him a receipt of the found gold. Well she wrote at a receipt for the items and he gave them to her they proceeded back to the camp.

Well you can imagine the disappointment on everyones face when they came back empty handed. Funny thing was no one knew how Sacramento Headquarters of the State Parks found out about that. But I know that CYA does not just stand for California Youth Authority but also for “Cover your As*” so i guess the Assistant Superintend called CYA headquarters to cover his and asked what he should do and they in turn called State Parks and let the beans out of the bag. Now where are those gold coins? We think that they were placed in a Museum in Columbia State Park as they were more relevant to that area than they were to the museum in a Indian State Park. And those holes and piles of dirt that Jerry couldn’t figure out were, well they were undoubtedly dug by the person who had hidden that cache of gold. Kinda wonder if there were others that he found and if any are left. Hope you all enjoyed the story. The Mayor

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Halito Mayor,

Loved the story! (Except for the final outcome). As I've stated previously, I started this thread due to a very rude member coming into "Lost Treasures" forum and proclaiming that all lost treasure stories were a bunch of BS and fantasy. So, I welcome any authentic story that validates the statement that there is truth in a high percentage of the tales of buried treasure. As a matter of fact, this rude individual was commenting on a particular thead about a lost treasure that had been found and lost again, by more than one person over a several year period. It's my belief that if more than one person claims to have found and lost it again, and most of the discription of the area and amount of treasure sighted correspond with one another, it probably has a basis in fact. It's kind of like when I was a LEO investigator, one witness didn't make a case, but if you have 2 or more witnesses and their stories are pretty much the same, then you could be sure that you had some legitimate evidence.

Case in point, (about losing and not being able to relocate), witness my earlier story about the abandoned mine with the ore bins full of hand-graded ore.

I was there!! I brought samples of RICH ore out!! And now?? I still haven't been able to relocate it. Though I know the general area, I would have to have enough money and the use of a quad-runner so that I could stay up in the area long enough to search out all of the roads. And, that wouldn't guarantee that I would be able to relocate it, it would just give me a better chance of doing so. Just imagine; 12 to 18 tons of hand-graded gold ore and all of it with visible gold. And all of it just sitting there due to 'lack of funding'. (lol)

Anyone want to partner-up with me on this search?? (It would take time and money). (lol)

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mayor, when you get this, could you please try to remove one of the above duplicated posts?

Thank you Brother!!

Tree!

Jan 16, 2013
Inland Empire, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Case in point, (about losing and not being able to relocate), witness my earlier story about the abandoned mine with the ore bins full of hand-graded ore. I was there!! I brought samples of RICH ore out!! And now?? I still haven't been able to relocate it. Though I know the general area, I would have to have enough money and the use of a quad-runner so that I could stay up in the area long enough to search out all of the roads. And, that wouldn't guarantee that I would be able to relocate it, it would just give me a better chance of doing so. Just imagine; 12 to 18 tons of hand-graded gold ore and all of it with visible gold. And all of it just sitting there due to 'lack of funding'. (lol) Anyone want to partner-up with me on this search?? (It would take time and money). (lol)

I would love to partner on this, but I'm a hardcore backpacker type searcher! But I could dedicate to it.

leenie

Dec 30, 2006
Northwest Indiana
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro xp dues
hi eagle look at fox news the cali couple who found the gold now has to pay half to the irs. whether they sell them or not. nobody can win with out someone taking for nothing. dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread