The Many Lost Treasures of Mariposa, CA (Photos Added)

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Still searching for the right one
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eagle I think we're gonna be rich! Lol. Thanks for bestowing your many years if wisdom on us today. We had a great time. Nice hanging with you and MGB. Ill let you know how the clean up goes.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Eagle I think we're gonna be rich! Lol. Thanks for bestowing your many years if wisdom on us today. We had a great time. Nice hanging with you and MGB. Ill let you know how the clean up goes.

We wants pics of the potential college fund

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic!! I'd love to be a thousandaire.

After all of the work you and S. put in, you surely deserve to get some gold out of it.

I'll be waiting to see what turns up.

Eagle

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cancel the check eagle. Lol the whole was a bust. Good thing we had a good time. In my 2 years of mining I have definitely learned, its either got gold in the hole or not. It wasn't a complete failure there was one little pen head size chunk and about 20 fly poops. It just didnt pan out. Lol

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cancel the check eagle. Lol the whole was a bust. Good thing we had a good time. In my 2 years of mining I have definitely learned, its either got gold in the hole or not. It wasn't a complete failure there was one little pen head size chunk and about 20 fly poops. It just didnt pan out. Lol
Sorry My Brother! I would have expected a bit more than that.

Well....If you decide to try again, perhaps where the boulder I pointed out, it's sitting in a washed area. The washed area joins the previously worked area at the lower end of the bend. You 'could' start in the worked part and cut into the bend from there and work towards the boulder. Got to be a pay streak somewhere.

As the old saying goes: "Better luck next time".

Eagle

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think I will do that eagle. If we could see through the dirt there wouldn't be any gold left. Got to dig it to understand the creek. Now the creek done pissed me off I got to find it. Take care brother. See ya again hopefully soon.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I will do that eagle. If we could see through the dirt there wouldn't be any gold left. Got to dig it to understand the creek. Now the creek done pissed me off I got to find it. Take care brother. See ya again hopefully soon.
Whenever you're ready, just let me know. I'll try to make it.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fire Season

We have a fire going on Feliciana Mountain right now. I'm roughly 40 miles from there, but the smoke is starting to block the sunlight here. I thought you might like to see what I see.

Attachments

• P6160007.JPG
    P6160007.JPG
    227.4 KB · Views: 107

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My family lives in that area and a bunch of friends. I hope Mother Nature is kind to them.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The slow way

I took some photos a month or so ago. For those of you who've never seen an arrastra.

You will notice a square hole in the center. That was for the upright that the boom attached to.
Then, there are mortor holes here and there, for grinding small samples by hand.

The first photo is a closeup of the arrastra.
The second and third shows more of it, from different angles.
The fourth and fifth is the stone that was dragged around by a mule pulling the boom around.

Hard to believe that this arrastra was carved out of a single table of granite. Over all, the arrastra is about 10 feet across. I estimated that the grind stone weighed about 500 lbs

Attachments

• P3220001.JPG
    P3220001.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 112
  • P3220002.JPG
    P3220002.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 109
  • P3220003.JPG
    P3220003.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 111
  • P3220004.JPG
    P3220004.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 119
  • P3220005.JPG
    P3220005.JPG
    691.9 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Like this one northeast of Coulterville

Attachments

• Mine 002.JPG
    Mine 002.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 120

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is very cool Eagle. Would love to sample some soil around that. One day- when life quits getting in the way. ;-)

Oakview2 I live 8 crow miles north of Coulterville. Every time you mention it I wonder if it's on public property. Jackass creek perhaps?

I hope the fire doesn't impact you. We watched the planes go over yesterday- quite a few of them in the afternoon. It's going to be a long hot fire season.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is very cool Eagle. Would love to sample some soil around that. One day- when life quits getting in the way. ;-)
That was exactly what I had in mind when I found it. So, I went back about 3 months later and found that someone had stacked dead tree branches in the only area wide enough to park in. I just barely managed to squeeze in on the edge of the pavement. I walked over to the arrastra and saw 5 or 6 holes that had been dug in the dirt around it. Then I understood why "they" didn't want anyone parking there. So, I just took the photos and left.

All of that could have been avoided if only someone had taken the extra few seconds to refill their holes.

The sad part is; The arrastra is only about a quarter of a mile from where I live.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure looks like it. Most gardners call it "Those damn weeds". But the common name is Purslane. Here's a photo of some growing.
purslane2.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread