The Many Lost Treasures of Mariposa, CA (Photos Added)

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI; I've just been informed that Central Valley Prospectors is hosting a mining show at the Fresno County Fairgrounds
this week-end. Should be worth attending. I probably won't make it there before Sunday morning.

If you need a pick to help with your metal detecting, stop by the booth; Mad Mining. Mike has some picks that are great.
And inexpensive. I hope you have a chance to check it out.

Hope to see you there Sunday morning.

Eagle
Sorry, I've had to refigure my finances and find I'm not able to afford the trip down to Fresno. So, just wanted to let you
know that I won't be there Sunday after all.

Eagle

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's all good Eagle, my friend offered me his cabin in near marysville grass valley area so i ended up coming up here. but the key is missing and not where it's supposed to be, while I looked everywhere and even pulled out my crappy metal detector to search a bear came and started eating my food I left on porch. I couldn't scare him so I watched him for few min then he left with a bag. So as I type I'm camping out behind my Honda in his driveway lol. With my cooler on the roof of cabin. I had to assure my friend it really was a bear and I didn't watch a 250 brown dog eat my food and steal some. I"ll take some pics and try to post them later. Didnt think to take pic of bear at the time. Pardon grammar and run on sentences iPhone tired hungry.

Last edited:

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hope this worked I'm a rookie picture poster. There's the I'm sure warmer cabin it really is kinda cold tonight sigh
image-1683006410.jpg

image-489510020.jpg

vini

Jan 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man that sucks meteor stay warm and safe around that fire tonight.

vini

Jan 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so i have metal detected and high banked behind the store in hornitos the store owner a few years back 6-7 years was a nice guy and he allowed a bunch of us back there, we did find small gold in the creek and a lot of chinese coins and relics back behind the store, I even found a Japanese, YES japanese ( yen not real old 1959 or 60's) coin in the creek high banking.

yen piece 2.JPG

Link to coin info
Japanese Yen and Chinese Cash Coin - foreign coin collecting

vini

Jan 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did some hunting down the road also from hornitos, cotton creek road that gate used to be unloacked i believe thats BLM land, cattle ranchs out there and the creeks has stacked rock , i did some metal detecting and checking out old diggings up in there one day

DSCF1024.JPG

This hills was dug extensivly I only detected it never sampled the quartz, but the guy who owns the next hill over which is less then 1/4 mile away was ctivley mining a lode.

DSCF1011.JPG

DSCF1019.JPG

DSCF1016.JPG

is anyone salivating yet HEH HEH

vini

Jan 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCF1005.JPG

DSCF1011.JPG

DSCF1020.JPG Thats about a 10 deep cut all the quartz removed

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh man that sucks meteor stay warm and safe around that fire tonight.

Thanks Vini it was fun anyway the whole property was sloped with no flat ground so I kept almost sliding out of my tent lol. The bats would circle the cabin and eat bugs like a NASCAR track around the light outside my tent it was really cool to watch and I would hear hawks (i think guessing?) squawking occasionally don't know if they eat bats.

A few times the area dogs would go crazy then some of those times you'd hear something run thru the property out of sight. I think I got 2 hrs sleep first night but I got the nature shows so it was cool anyway. Second night I found some plywood and used it to make a flat surface for the tent and slept better plus the dogs were quieter. Or I was just so tired if didn't wake me anymore:)

Sorry if I mini threadjacked:) Eagle this is one of my favorite threads every search I do on Tnet this one shows up:) somewhere in there it has a little of everything.

image-3568540052.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vini, mgb and I passed by Cottonwood Creek Rd. this last Tuesday. The gate at the hiway was unlocked. We drove in a mile or so. Incredible amount of working went on there. Should be gold there, (somewhere). (lol) But, there's a lot of area to cover. Somehow, your pictures look familiar. (lol) Thanks for loading them. Saved me the trouble.

MeteorMiner,

The worse night in nature sleeping on the ground, is better than the best day in the city!! (lol)
Don't worry about "mini threadjacking". Happy to hear that everything turned out hokay.

Eagle

vini

Jan 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the high jack eagle.
Thats cool that gates still openable lol if you climbed to the top of that hill with the workings and looked west that guys working the next hill over ?? did you see that? I wish I had brought some samples back and crushed so material, i'll have to get back over, the creek worked too stacked rock, it's out there but probably down deep ? I have a friend with property in hornitos right on the creek been wanting to get there for 2 years maybe i'll try again this summer, i'll give you a heads up if so.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think eagle does that dance after a few cups of coffee :) heh heh
HAH!! I don't need no stinking coffee to do that dance.

Heck, I do that dance when I remember where I left my car keys. (lol)

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Look in your hand first. More than once I've looked all over only to give up and find them in my hand. lol

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

A couple of times I've clicked my car keys expecting my front door to unlock I guess lol, anyone else done this? Usually after long day at work but still no excuse for it lol

Should clarify front door of house.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't wear sun glasses. And I don't have a remote transmitter to unlock my car, but I do recall a couple of times that I rolled a cigarette and when I went to lick the edge of the paper, found I already had a cigarette hanging from my lips. (lol)

RelicLady

Greenie
Jan 1, 2013
Merced/Hornitos, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vini, my son and I JUST walked around this whole area on Cotton Creek a few weeks ago and YES, I was salivating. Took my detector up there, but we lost daylight. Now, it's chuck full of snakes that I would rather not meet. I'll have to post my Chinese coins and 1/2 silver frank I found on an old foundation near town. Lots to be found up there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread