The past mantle relics #13, pestle

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
This pestle was found 05/20/1991 in Indiana, the same site area as an earlier posted pestle. This site stretched along the waterway for a quarter of a mile. The rise where this was found was the prolific site location. The same day I found this specific pestle I found a full groove axe, a number of points, and three slate preforms. The slate preforms where together in area only a foot or so apart. It was an exciting day.

The pestle has very little damage, maybe a slight plow strike. Nicely dimpled base and overall polish.

Back on that May day in 1991, we were hunting a field. When we were leaving the old farmer, who I am sure is no longer with us, said to us "you need to check out XXXXX property about a mile east of here, can't miss it. On the hill there is an old well where the barn stood. The barn burnt in the early 50's, but I remember XXXXXX having bushel baskets of Indian relics in the barn back in the 30's."

We found that field not 15 minutes later, and this was the first day's hunt of it. We knew the old man was saying truths after finding all the relics that day in May of 1991.

In the years since that day in 91 I have pulled a number of points, axes, celts, and pestles from the area. Many of them posted on the forum. I would consider this one of the largest sites which I hunted.

This is a prime example of how it pays to get permission and talk to the old farmers.

I was joking with the famer recently asking him if he would consider deep plowing the field, if I would kick in for the fuel. And I meant it. He laughed and said he may have considered it if he still owned a mold board plow. He had not owned one in many years.

The finds don't come any more like they did in the 90's. But if the field would be deep plowed occasionally, maybe.

ah91_pestle_1.jpg

ah91_pestle_2.jpg

ah91_pestle_3.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 13

Oldrvrrat57

Jan 2, 2022
Illinois
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 and XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This pestle was found 05/20/1995 in Indiana, the same site area as an earlier posted pestle. This site stretched along the waterway for a quarter of a mile. The rise where this was found was the prolific site location. The same day I found this specific pestle I found a full groove axe, a number of points, and three slate preforms. The slate preforms where together in area only a foot or so apart. It was an exciting day.

The pestle has very little damage, maybe a slight plow strike. Nicely dimpled base and overall polish.

Back on that May day in 1995, we were hunting a field. When we were leaving the old farmer, who I am sure is no longer with us, said to us "you need to check out XXXXX property about a mile east of here, can't miss it. On the hill there is an old well where the barn stood. The barn burnt in the early 50's, but I remember XXXXXX having bushel baskets of Indian relics in the barn back in the 30's."

We found that field not 15 minutes later, and this was the first day's hunt of it. We knew the old man was saying truths after finding all the relics that day in May of 1995.

In the years since that day in 95 I have pulled a number of points, axes, celts, and pestles from the area. Many of them posted on the forum. I would consider this one of the largest sites which I hunted.

This is a prime example of how it pays to get permission and talk to the old farmers.

I was joking with the famer recently asking him if he would consider deep plowing the field, if I would kick in for the fuel. And I meant it. He laughed and said he may have considered it if he still owned a mold board plow. He had not owned one in many years.

The finds don't come any more like they did in the 90's. But if the field would be deep plowed occasionally, maybe.

View attachment 2127044

View attachment 2127046
View attachment 2127047
Nice pestle! I started hunting artifacts here in Illinois back in the 80s when very few people did it in the county I live in and remember coming home with my pockets bulging with artifacts, one of my best days I had around 35 complete points. Wish I could go back and do it all over again!!

OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Yea those were good relic hunting days.

That day in May I filled up a canvas coin bag and my hip pouch with relic. It was crazy.

I had 1995 as the year initially, it was actually 1991.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the nicer ones I've seen, congrats...

OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Note that there is little to no damage to the relic, one of the good benefits to the deep mold board plowing utilized at the time this relic was found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread