THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jim,

It's rather straight forward. I washed the beans and cut them in half. In this case I used a 24 ounce mason jar. Use whatever size you want. First you weigh the jar and take not of it. Peeled and crushed some garlic, added the peppercorns and dill.Put in the beans until they were about 1 1/2 inch from the top. Boiled some water to dechlorinate it and when it cooled down added the water to just cover the beans. weigh everything again then pour out the water and add 3% kosher salt of the weight of all ingredient including the water. In this case the total weight was 600 grams so 18 grams of salt. Pour the salted water back in I added a fermentation weight but a piece of cabbage will do the trick(it's to keep the beans below the level of the brine). I have fancy airlock lids but a regular two part mason lid will do the trick just leave it loose so the gas can escape during fermentation. Put the jar or jars on a plate or in a container in case of overflow and place in a cool place and put a tea towel or other cloth over the jar they should be ready to place in the fridge after about 3 weeks.

Showed the Mrs the picture of your beans, she wants the details now on how to make them. I guess they looked impressive Bill.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just looked out the window at the grass-needs a haircut it seems. Heat + moisture = Growth. It will be the 4th time this year already-and this time a weed sipping the edges.
Need more rock gardens less grass is the ultimate solution.
Takes 1hr to mow, and other one to trim everything up. It always looks better for the curb appeal I must add.

But first it's a tractor parts run this morning, power steering filter change in the 1973 Ford 5000.
Looking at the filter I might say it might be the first time it's seen a change. (I've had it for 7yrs-never done it)
Not an easy task to get the unit apart, stuck on, had to unbolt the alternator, everything sitting behind the loader frame.

It's just another version of everything in life. "If it was easy-It would have already been done-life 101."

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jim,

It's rather straight forward. I washed the beans and cut them in half. In this case I used a 24 ounce mason jar. Use whatever size you want. First you weigh the jar and take not of it. Peeled and crushed some garlic, added the peppercorns and dill.Put in the beans until they were about 1 1/2 inch from the top. Boiled some water to dechlorinate it and when it cooled down added the water to just cover the beans. weigh everything again then pour out the water and add 3% kosher salt of the weight of all ingredient including the water. In this case the total weight was 600 grams so 18 grams of salt. Pour the salted water back in I added a fermentation weight but a piece of cabbage will do the trick(it's to keep the beans below the level of the brine). I have fancy airlock lids but a regular two part mason lid will do the trick just leave it loose so the gas can escape during fermentation. Put the jar or jars on a plate or in a container in case of overflow and place in a cool place and put a tea towel or other cloth over the jar they should be ready to place in the fridge after about 3 weeks.

Thanks Bill. Sounds like a project for the Mrs.
I'll tell her it's easier than it sounds-we have well water so you don't have to boil the water-just put through the Berkey.:laughing7:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Morning Dave

I'm hoping to get to the mall to get myself a cell phone later today Jim, I'll text you when it's up and running. :thumbsup:

I haven't told Colleen yet, but the Marketing Manager with Weber MT messaged me over LinkedIn a few times this weekend, she's asking if I'd be interested in coming back to work for them. Although, they'd have to get their head office in Germany to approve it, there's been no official offer yet. I'll let you know how things progress.

Sounds like you've got your hands full today with your tractor service. :laughing7:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Morning ARC-Tad late I see-being up late will cause a sleep in.:coffee2:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saturdays river hunt, state park along the river 7 wheats...

20200718_161040.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So Dave I'm having too many versions of what your morning is already.

You sitting at the kitchen table-dressed in work attire.
Pen and pencil neatly arranged by the note pad.
Phone already for a morning call.
Laptop open-ready to answer the emails awaiting your replies

Then again you might be looking at the old mapping system and figuring out when you can slip out the back door to go play in the dirt. :laughing7:

With the "Well dear I'm off to look for gainful employment opportunities" :hello:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
pepperj
The Crowder peas I plant and we like are brown Crowder. We use to plant some Purple Crowder but it got to where we couldn't find the seed. So we planted these. Glad we did. They will cook up a light brown color. And tasty.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Good morning AARC, TC and bill.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
TC
I believe that might be a virgin sight there. Nice haul.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So Dave I'm having too many versions of what your morning is already.

You sitting at the kitchen table-dressed in work attire.
Pen and pencil neatly arranged by the note pad.
Phone already for a morning call.
Laptop open-ready to answer the emails awaiting your replies

Then again you might be looking at the old mapping system and figuring out when you can slip out the back door to go play in the dirt. :laughing7:

With the "Well dear I'm off to look for gainful employment opportunities" :hello:

You so funny Jim!! :laughing7:

It's interesting, because I feel like I'm still in vacation mode and I don't really feel like starting the job hunt yet.
The problem is it's too hot to go detecting... but do I really need to start looking for gainful employment with my COVID mask on? :cool:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread