THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jim,

Here's a video which explains things in more detail. The guy looks young but he was a professional chef at a high end restaurant so he knows what he's doing.

Thanks Bill. Sounds like a project for the Mrs.
I'll tell her it's easier than it sounds-we have well water so you don't have to boil the water-just put through the Berkey.:laughing7:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Rook, finding old places along the river isnt as easy as finding home sites on a map, any of you guys have any recommendations to finding fur trade sites?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Rook, finding old places along the river isnt as easy as finding home sites on a map, any of you guys have any recommendations to finding fur trade sites?

It seems that the "Fur Trade" routes in Canada are further north and then to the west.

It's like getting on to a piece of trade silver a real want for me.

Just along the creek system where I lived was traveled for 10,000yrs the historians claim.
It flows into a lake system and I've done many hours of swinging the coil in the field/bush permissions, and have yet to find one striker, or anything else that has been related to a settlement/site.

I have dug many pieces of cut thin iron, and I wonder if they could be Indigenous related.

I see you got a wide range of fishing related items.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jim,

Here's a video which explains things in more detail. The guy looks young but he was a professional chef at a high end restaurant so he knows what he's doing.

Thanks Bill for the video.

Ya they all are starting to look young-it's a sign of the aging process I'm thinking.:icon_scratch::dontknow::laughing7:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TC, it might be a case your on the right spot, you just have to weed out the new drops to get to the older stuff.
Then again you would of got a hit or two of older in the amount dug items.

I always dig the small iron targets in the beginning just to see what I'm hearing-round, square, rose head nail-or just pieces of fencing wire. It can turn me into a blood hound right quick if the nails are old.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems that the "Fur Trade" routes in Canada are further north and then to the west.

It's like getting on to a piece of trade silver a real want for me.

Just along the creek system where I lived was traveled for 10,000yrs the historians claim.
It flows into a lake system and I've done many hours of swinging the coil in the field/bush permissions, and have yet to find one striker, or anything else that has been related to a settlement/site.

I have dug many pieces of cut thin iron, and I wonder if they could be Indigenous related.

I see you got a wide range of fishing related items.

I was in the river getting those items and the oldest coin was a 1941, the river here was a main route to the thumb of MI, Iv hit alot of places along the river I thought had potential but nothing old... If I was a fur trader I would set up along a tributary on the river..

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TC, it might be a case your on the right spot, you just have to weed out the new drops to get to the older stuff.
Then again you would of got a hit or two of older in the amount dug items.

I always dig the small iron targets in the beginning just to see what I'm hearing-round, square, rose head nail-or just pieces of fencing wire. It can turn me into a blood hound right quick if the nails are old.

Ok cool I'll give that a try on a couple sites I hit along the river...

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The other day I got a really cool find, at least I think so.
It's a long rose head spike.
I got it from the middle of the stump of a 150+yrs dead sugar maple that fell over finally.
I dug down a foot to the soil for the recovery.
20200720_080422.jpg
20200720_080520.jpg

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
good morning all :hello:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
its only 9:40 here and already 100:BangHead: I hate TX summers

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Toecutter, Another place to look that people might forget is camp sites on higher ground. The natives and fur traders would set up their tents and campfires away from the river on elevated ground. If it rained during the night you don't want to wake up with puddles of water in your tent. It doesn't make for a comfortable sleep... :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Some of the camp sites and fire pits(the proper term is midden I believe) could have been used for hundreds of years.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good morning.

After almost a week of discussing the shell, we've figured it out. It's an 76mm M339 AP-T round, fired from the M4A1 or M4A2 Sherman tank from WWII. Remember the movie, "Fury"? Same tank.

We got a ton of stuff done this weekend. We took down about 20 treestands for hunting, and either relocated them, or put new ones in their place. It took a long time, and a lot of walking, but it's done. We even went through a 32 pack of water, and ran completely out. So we went to Ohio to restock, and got a bunch of watermelons as well. I ate so much later that day I got sick. :)

If you're ever in the area, go to the Scioto Ribber, in Portsmouth Ohio. It's the best grill/BBQ/bar in the county, if not the entire area. Smokers and grills all outside, smoke and firewood everywhere, flames, it's awesome. Go on a Saturday. The prettiest waitresses you'll ever see work the Saturday shift. Myself and and the folks who were helping us all went and they had no qualms about flirting with prettiest ones who walked by. I wanted to melt in the seat from embarresment.

That said, I had my first ever steak. I about had a stroke when I say the price tag ($28), but it was worth every penny.

I also noticed that the banks of the Ohio river are very low, so my dad and I will be going today to see if we can find something. Anything. I'd be happy with an 1800s fishhook at the rate I'm going at now.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toecutter, Another place to look that people might forget is camp sites on higher ground. The natives and fur traders would set up their tents and campfires away from the river on elevated ground. If it rained during the night you don't want to wake up with puddles of water in your tent. It doesn't make for a comfortable sleep... :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Some of the camp sites and fire pits(the proper term is midden I believe) could have been used for hundreds of years.

Those are places I look for but never really focused on low tones due to pulltabs lately Iv over come that and have bin digging all repeatable targets and its bin paying off in alot of ways...

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
toecutter,

Yep if looking for native/fur trade/relic stuff go all metal and dig everything even the crappy signals. A lot of work but that's how you'll find the goodies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread