THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good afternoon everyone. I forgot if I said good morning or not. :p

I'm in the process of building my own blog/website. I'll tell you what, I have a new respect for website builders, and those who run and maintain one. I spent all morning just building one page, but it looks nice I suppose. My head is spinning.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my winter and coffee fired speculation!!

Great cross section of eras there.. Yet such a thin context of layer compared to areas with soil/earth below.

IF (again rampant peculation) there is was no glass or metal attached or in the area prior for the shaker top , I can overly imagine a bag of plunder hoping for a silver content. The base discarded prior.

Jack chain.
Lots of uses. It hangs well , but does not like to be stacked or coiled. Or much weight applied to it. Making it a poor choice for a watch chain. But , you show gears from a watch or clock...

It catches my eye from having hammered out a vent pick , and making a horsehair pan brush for a flintlock.
I used wire and needle nosed pliers to make jack chain to hang them.
A straight walled spend brass (.444?)cartridge had a loop soldered into the primer hole and became a powder measure.
Yes...yes....all things that went through my mind too RC. Jack chain you say....now I know. Always wondered what it was called...learn something new each day...thank you sir !!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other

I'm in the process of building my own blog/website. I'll tell you what, I have a new respect for website builders, and those who run and maintain one. I spent all morning just building one page, but it looks nice I suppose. My head is spinning.

Mine is spinning just thinking about where to begin. Lol

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

What's the website for Rusty? Sounds interesting, good luck!

I spent the day digging through deeds at the courthouse... partly for a project of mine, partly for fun. I also discovered a new county map I hadn't seen before, some lady thought I was real weird standing up on a bench holding my phone up so I could get a pic...

Last edited:

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good evening Noah did you come across some good leads for future detecting sites?
Evening Bill, not much relating to the deeds (I don't think most of them tell much about the buildings on the land) but I traced my land back to the Connecticut Land Company and (probably) made sense of some initials we found on a stone block in our backyard!

On the new map I found, however, I may have located a new mid-1800s site that's only a couple hundred yards from where I sit as I type this! It's the most detailed map I've seen of this area, from that time period and it has already solved a couple of my mysteries. During my whole trip to the courthouse I took about 75 photos of relevant documents so I'm pretty happy. Those three hours really flew by!

Last edited:

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On a bit of a side note, the main purpose I went was to have a shot at tracking down a Civil War veteran on one of my sites... I'm doing a research paper/biographical history on my neighbors land that he let me dig. I will definitely have a lot to write about.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What's the website for Rusty? Sounds interesting, good luck!

I spent the day digging through deeds at the courthouse... partly for a project of mine, partly for fun. I also discovered a new county map I hadn't seen before, some lady thought I was real weird standing up on a bench holding my phone up so I could get a pic...

I call it Trenches. It will contain posts about relics and stories from the Civil War, the Second World War, and of course, miscellaneous junk. :)

Good luck on your research!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Noah,

You might want to consider using google earth to view some of those potential sites from the air. Odds are good you'll see the outlines of past cellar holes, structures, etc...

Bill

On a bit of a side note, the main purpose I went was to have a shot at tracking down a Civil War veteran on one of my sites... I'm doing a research paper/biographical history on my neighbors land that he let me dig. I will definitely have a lot to write about.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Off to get horizontal... G night ye scallywag Tnet crew.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Evening Bill, not much relating to the deeds (I don't think most of them tell much about the buildings on the land) but I traced my land back to the Connecticut Land Company and (probably) made sense of some initials we found on a stone block in our backyard!

On the new map I found, however, I may have located a new mid-1800s site that's only a couple hundred yards from where I sit as I type this! It's the most detailed map I've seen of this area, from that time period and it has already solved a couple of my mysteries. During my whole trip to the courthouse I took about 75 photos of relevant documents so I'm pretty happy. Those three hours really flew by!

The old mapping system are a really great way of finding the old homesteads. Our Historical Altas were done the mid 1850-1860 time period and are basically the who's who of lot/concession information, heck even our lawyer uses them to do his research on titles.
https://digital.library.mcgill.ca/countyatlas/searchmapframes.php

Though remember this little fact and that if it was there pre/post of when they did the recording-it's not going to be on the map. I have found just as many cellar hole that were never documented than what I intended to find in the first place.
Figure this: A man gets a land grant-moves the new Mrs, one child, one in the oven to a treed lot in the wilderness.
Now he doesn't build the home that is depicted in the atlas generally, they started with a cabin, maybe a few cabins as the family grew.
Then when it was affordable they built the home.

Now generally the original settled spot will still be close, like a few hundred ft/yrds. away.
Then there are the ones that were never recorded in history, as I have on my property.
Not huge producers of finds, but they are of historical significance no less.
That's the one thing I really enjoy about this hobby is the discovery-of the undocumented history.
I have one permission and I have found 6 more sites on their 250 acres than what they knew of, each time they're amazed that one was there even.

Last edited:

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Noah,

You might want to consider using google earth to view some of those potential sites from the air. Odds are good you'll see the outlines of past cellar holes, structures, etc...

Bill

Definitely! I use google earth, LIDAR, and whatever else I can scrounge up... unfortunately most of my sites are fields. I've only seen four places with the remains of a foundation/cellar hole out of all the ones I've hunted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions