THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The old mapping system are a really great way of finding the old homesteads. Our Historical Altas were done the mid 1850-1860 time period and are basically the who's who of lot/concession information, heck even our lawyer uses them to do his research on titles.
https://digital.library.mcgill.ca/countyatlas/searchmapframes.php

Though remember this little fact and that if it was there pre/post of when they did the recording-it's not going to be on the map. I have found just as many cellar hole that were never documented than what I intended to find in the first place.
Figure this: A man gets a land grant-moves the new Mrs, one child, one in the oven to a treed lot in the wilderness.
Now he doesn't build the home that is depicted in the atlas generally, they started with a cabin, maybe a few cabins as the family grew.
Then when it was affordable they built the home.

Now generally the original settled spot will still be close, like a few hundred ft/yrds. away.
Then there are the ones that were never recorded in history, as I have on my property.
Not huge producers of finds, but they are of historical significance no less.
That's the one thing I really enjoy about this hobby is the discovery-of the undocumented history.
I have one permission and I have found 6 more sites on their 250 acres than what they knew of, each time they're amazed that one was there even.
Thanks pepperj! Last summer I found one of the oldest settlements in this part of the state completely on accident! How do you go about intentionally finding these old unmentioned sites without search a whole entire field or something?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks pepperj! Last summer I found one of the oldest settlements in this part of the state completely on accident! How do you go about intentionally finding these old unmentioned sites without search a whole entire field or something?
Well it also depends on the area/ site I detect at that had me wondering if there is something else.
I usually have the knack of walking right onto the site, give or take under a 100ft. I will do a perimeter to see when the iron/targets run out, the I work my way back in to core.
When the main site is depleted on the main targets, I will try and do a bit of scouting for the next cellars.
Yes many times it has been the case of the next one won't be a easy find.
Lots of hours are spent on recon hunting.
The one hit iron in the middle of nowhere I will dig, to see what it is. Impliment, fencing, old baling wire, square nails.
Now why would there be a sq.nail out here.
Like a hound I start in a spiral and work out in 50ft to see if it was a drop, collected up in ash and spead on the land or if it will lead to a site.
Many are like bread crumbs and I just follow them into the site.
I guess doing it for 50yrs helps hone the edge up a bit also.
The main thing is to enjoy the process.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well it also depends on the area/ site I detect at that had me wondering if there is something else.
I usually have the knack of walking right onto the site, give or take under a 100ft. I will do a perimeter to see when the iron/targets run out, the I work my way back in to core.
When the main site is depleted on the main targets, I will try and do a bit of scouting for the next cellars.
Yes many times it has been the case of the next one won't be a easy find.
Lots of hours are spent on recon hunting.
The one hit iron in the middle of nowhere I will dig, to see what it is. Impliment, fencing, old baling wire, square nails.
Now why would there be a sq.nail out here.
Like a hound I start in a spiral and work out in 50ft to see if it was a drop, collected up in ash and spead on the land or if it will lead to a site.
Many are like bread crumbs and I just follow them into the site.
I guess doing it for 50yrs helps hone the edge up a bit also.
The main thing is to enjoy the process.
Thanks for the tips! Maybe I will try again at attempting to find some of those old cabins and starter homes... Now the unmentioned and unmapped homesites that I know are out there but don't know where, that's a whole different story.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good morning Dave, WD, ARC

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Gmorn
Crosman 1000 in a .177, I was wrong about .22 air shooter. I’ve always thought funny how a little BB gun has more recoil or whatever ruins a scope.
I like Brussel sprouts in a cold salid vinegar oil dressing. Don’t care for smell? Just serve them up on liver and onions nite.
I scored a local low mile one owner yesterday, I’m so proud. 1985 Dodge Ram 2wd, 55505 miles. It’s been sitting for over 10 years, new fuel filter and 4 hose clamps and battery and tranny fluid, tires all held air and seemed to get there original round shape after about 15 miles. My friends uncle passed away and it’s been sitting. The best part is gave it to me if I would use it. I’ll use just like a brand newbie, If Im paying 70g for a new pickup I’ll just buy a trailer house camp at the lake. No way could I live in a four door pickup 10 years while I payed it off.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Best of luck in the finals this afternoon Dave.
I'm sure you'll be relieved that the process will be ending soon.
I can't imagine having to go through the process of all these interviews, and trying to sell one's experience and knowledge that you have earned over the decades of being out there.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just a heads up for those who are interested in gardening. I was watching a video yesterday by a back to the lander type and he suggested that people might want to try and buy their seeds early this year.

He mentioned that Baker Creek seed co had shut down their website because they were swamped with orders until they could catch up.

I put in a small order with a local supplier and going through the inventory list about half the list was already marked sold out. I guess the stresses on the food supply from last year is encouraging people to produce more of their own food.
This is very good information Bill. I heard on the news yesterday that they’re predicting that the cost of food is going to increase by 5 – 6% this year.
I realize this doesn’t sound like much, but for the average family of 4 people who spend $200 a week on food, this will mean an additional $600 - $700 a year. :sadsmiley:

Dude, you got this!
Thank you so much WD, I really appreciate your words of support! :thumbsup:
I feel positive about today’s 1pm phone interview. The recruiter has been a great help in mentoring me through the entire process.

Gmorn. WD I listen to about all of the options I get on utube to sleep. Deep from the heart of space was a show on public radio I have used.
Bart that posting thing happens to me. It’s kinda my whole smart machine carrier.
Bill I think your spirit and interest in good food and gardening and living are informative and just great. Everyone’s personalization of real life is what I am looking for to satisfy my interest and curiosity. The reality shows I have tried to watch on modern tv is far from entertainment. I don’t understand how people could think they all are anything but idiots. Your post are positive informative and fun. Solid and real. Please don’t stop now.
Fat, your words here are so true about WD and MsBB, they both add so much to this thread with their perspectives.
I like to tell our teenage daughter, “we’re all going through something, so try and show some patience and compassion to others”.

Your mention of reality TV reminded me of a funny exchange that happened last week. First, I have a confession. Boy ECS is going to give me a hard time for this one.
We watch Oak Island regularly. We record it to watch at our convenience and sometimes get the episodes confused, but that doesn't really matter because they re-hash everything. Anyways, the episode we were watching, Gary Drayton was detecting. I happen to have the same lesche digging tool that he has. Easy to do, I mean there are only so many sites to buy from and so many metal detecting tools to pick from. Well, the MR spots it right off the bat and says, "You have the same shovel as Gary Drayton! That's it! You are trying to get every metal detecting thing he has! You wanna be just like Gary!" LOL I tried to explain it, but he wasn't having it. I will get my paybacks when it's fishing season.
This is hilarious WD… they say, “that emulation is the greatest form of flattery”. :laughing7:

Sooo..... We have gone from Speedo pics, to skinny dipping, to R rated movies...?
All on ARC 's watch!!??
I hear you MsBB, I promise not to post anymore Speedo pics! :laughing9:

Roger,
We enjoy them also another way we prepare the is to cut them in half lengthwise and steam until about 3/4 done and them finish off in the pan with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar it cuts out the slightly bitter taste.
I too love Brussel sprouts Bill. I wait until they come into season at the end of August and buy a few sprout stocks at a local farm. I then separate the sprouts; I slice the bases with an ‘X’ boil them in salted water for 4 mins. My wife say’s, “our house smells like farts for days”… but I don’t know how this is different from any other day. :dontknow: :laughing7:

Anti, best of luck on your interview. You probably know more about their company than they do.
Thank you so much MsBB, this a position that I’ve been working towards my whole sales career. :icon_thumright:

Good afternoon everyone. I forgot if I said good morning or not.

I'm in the process of building my own blog/website. I'll tell you what, I have a new respect for website builders, and those who run and maintain one. I spent all morning just building one page, but it looks nice I suppose. My head is spinning.
I’m sure it will look amazing too Ethan, is this to help promote the book you’re writing? Maybe post a screen shot of it here and we’ll let you know what we think… don’t worry we’re all friends here.
Except for Jim of course, but just because you carry on conversations with your chickens doesn’t make you weird does it Jim? :laughing7:

What's the website for Rusty? Sounds interesting, good luck!

I spent the day digging through deeds at the courthouse... partly for a project of mine, partly for fun. I also discovered a new county map I hadn't seen before, some lady thought I was real weird standing up on a bench holding my phone up so I could get a pic...

Evening Bill, not much relating to the deeds (I don't think most of them tell much about the buildings on the land) but I traced my land back to the Connecticut Land Company and (probably) made sense of some initials we found on a stone block in our backyard!

On the new map I found, however, I may have located a new mid-1800s site that's only a couple hundred yards from where I sit as I type this! It's the most detailed map I've seen of this area, from that time period and it has already solved a couple of my mysteries. During my whole trip to the courthouse I took about 75 photos of relevant documents so I'm pretty happy. Those three hours really flew by!
Kudos to you for putting in the time to do the research Noah, this is effort will bring you the good finds!! :thumbsup:

Noah,

You might want to consider using google earth to view some of those potential sites from the air. Odds are good you'll see the outlines of past cellar holes, structures, etc...

Bill
Great advice Bill. :hello2:
If you look closely at the satellite pics and you have a map that shows approximately where the homestead was, you’ll often be able to see clear evidence of it in the fields.

The old mapping system are a really great way of finding the old homesteads. Our Historical Altas were done the mid 1850-1860 time period and are basically the who's who of lot/concession information, heck even our lawyer uses them to do his research on titles.
https://digital.library.mcgill.ca/countyatlas/searchmapframes.php

Though remember this little fact and that if it was there pre/post of when they did the recording-it's not going to be on the map. I have found just as many cellar hole that were never documented than what I intended to find in the first place.
Figure this: A man gets a land grant-moves the new Mrs, one child, one in the oven to a treed lot in the wilderness.
Now he doesn't build the home that is depicted in the atlas generally, they started with a cabin, maybe a few cabins as the family grew.
Then when it was affordable they built the home.

Now generally the original settled spot will still be close, like a few hundred ft/yrds. away.
Then there are the ones that were never recorded in history, as I have on my property.
Not huge producers of finds, but they are of historical significance no less.
That's the one thing I really enjoy about this hobby is the discovery-of the undocumented history.
I have one permission and I have found 6 more sites on their 250 acres than what they knew of, each time they're amazed that one was there even.
Everyone, this is particularly important information coming from a guy who’s been detecting for almost 50 years. :notworthy:
You all want to listen and learn from old school detectorists like pepperj, I’ve learned so much from Jim over the 7 years that I’ve known him!

Good morning, Antiquarian and good luck with your interview today.
Thank you so much WD. I now feel that I know the company well, but I’m not going to assume the job is mine. :icon_scratch:
After speaking with the recruiter again yesterday, he let me know they’re not interviewing anyone else right now… “that I’m the guy they want”.
I’ll let you all know tomorrow how it went. :thumbsup:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Best of luck in the finals this afternoon Dave.
I'm sure you'll be relieved that the process will be ending soon.
I can't imagine having to go through the process of all these interviews, and trying to sell one's experience and knowledge that you have earned over the decades of being out there.

Good morning ARC, Jim and Fat. :wave:

Thanks very much for your support through the process Jim, in all honesty it's been fun.
The way I look at job interviews is... I'm interviewing them, as much as they're interviewing me.
It has to be a good fit for everyone concerned. :thumbsup:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good morning ARC, Dave, Fat, Jim & WD.

Good luck with the final interview Dave here's hoping you Ace it!..:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread