THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning peeps.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Morning fellas.

Been a busy few days. I started my initial entry for Norfolk Southern. I haven't officially sent in a letter of application, but I entered their hiring system, so they know I'm there. Letter of Application for the position of Freight Conductor will be sent out the day I graduate high school.

I have a feeling that because I am 18, they will not accept me because of my age. Usually I see conductors finish training at around the age of 25. I just don't think they'll hire someone like me fresh out of high school even though I meet their age, education and other requirements.

If for some reason they DO accept my application, I'll be sent down on an all expenses paid trip to Atlanta Georgia for a month to begin training. Week one will be from 7:00am to 4:00pm, but it could finish earlier depending on class size. Week one just gets you acclimated to what you'll be around all day, and lays down the basic ground rules. Week two is where it gets interesting. Classes begin at 4:00pm and end at 1:00am. Everything gets progressively harder, and studying the books is highly recommended. Good news is, I technically already have the books so... :) Week Three ends the program, and that is when testing begins. Tests on signals and hazmat are the most stringent, because if you get below a 97%, you fail. Like I said, I already have the books, and my dad worked with Hazmat for over 30 years, so I'm not worried too much. Classes do not take place on the weekends, and trainees are encouraged to go out and do something, because the stress is what gets to some trainees, and gets them wired. I plan on taking my detector and camera with me. Atlanta was a Civil War hot spot.

If I pass the tests, they call me and inform me that I have X amount of weeks to get my butt to wherever they put me. I put down on my hiring profile that I am 100% willing to travel, and currently do not have roots anywhere. So they could literally send me anywhere north or south of the Mason-Dixon line, and anywhere east and west all the way out to Illinois.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rusty,
As an alternate you could apply for a job in the Transportation Department to get your foot in the door and then go toss your hat in the ring for the conductor job after you start.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rusty,
As an alternate you could apply for a job in the Transportation Department to get your foot in the door and then go toss your hat in the ring for the conductor job after you start.

Therein lies the problem. I am good at my school work, but the act of sitting down and doing paperwork drives me insane. I don't think I would last long at any kind of job that requires that.

Granted, when I am a conductor, I will be sitting down doing some paperwork, but I'll be in a moving locomotive going across the country while doing so. Before and after that, I'll be very physically active inspecting the train, coupling air hoses, and walking up to two miles either way to make sure the train is in good order. I just can't bear the thought of sitting in an office.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20210205_080555.jpg here it is.....one of my most cherished iron objects.....black ceasers ring in the rock !! Nothing special to it except where it came from. Like I said...there is at least one more still there and these 2 were used together, to heel the boat over. I believe that these rings were used to careen the ship for cleaning....not for the hiding of the mast. The large number of coins found here were probably brought shore here and hidden while the boat was on the careen. The people who left the 450 cobbs were probably attacked by Indians or forced to flee and the coins were abandoned or lost. None of the coins were dated later than 1680. Many deny the existence of this spot.....they obviously have never spent 5 minutes there or they would know there is evidence of a semi permanent camp or settlement there. I may drag an archie there in the future....im working on something now....unfortunately I missed hooking up with these guys before they made there discovery Channel show on black ceaser. I don't think they are aware of the actual location of this camp. My biggest discovery is a key that is unnamed on the charts.....very old charts name this key as GOLD key. I believe the name was abandoned in an effort to keep treasure hunters away. It is very close to the scene. Another possible pirate name is Davis, also a pirate named Kelly may have frequented this area....I believe it was used by several pirates at different times. Only a few of us even know this spot. Last ti.e I was there...2018....I was tracking ballast stones leading into the mangrove swamp. As far as silver bars are concerned this would be the area to begin at. Natural sink holes with loose stones piled in would be what your looking for to start. There is very little sand to dig in except at the hightide mark where there is a sand dune. The 450 cobbs were buried in this sand dune and after 25 or 30 were found loose and on top of the sand, they returned the next day and recovered the rest with a shovel !!

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Boatlode its a deal, i'll make biscuits & sausage gravy breakfast, and you make pompano for dinner.
You're welcome aboard anytime MsBeeps. The ship is a little messy but my mast is clean so you won't fall off.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
View attachment 1899828 here it is.....one of my most cherished iron objects.....black ceasers ring in the rock !! Nothing special to it except where it came from. Like I said...there is at least one more still there and these 2 were used together, to heel the boat over. I believe that these rings were used to careen the ship for cleaning....not for the hiding of the mast. The large number of coins found here were probably brought shore here and hidden while the boat was on the careen. The people who left the 450 cobbs were probably attacked by Indians or forced to flee and the coins were abandoned or lost. None of the coins were dated later than 1680. Many deny the existence of this spot.....they obviously have never spent 5 minutes there or they would know there is evidence of a semi permanent camp or settlement there. I may drag an archie there in the future....im working on something now....unfortunately I missed hooking up with these guys before they made there discovery Channel show on black ceaser. I don't think they are aware of the actual location of this camp. My biggest discovery is a key that is unnamed on the charts.....very old charts name this key as GOLD key. I believe the name was abandoned in an effort to keep treasure hunters away. It is very close to the scene. Another possible pirate name is Davis, also a pirate named Kelly may have frequented this area....I believe it was used by several pirates at different times. Only a few of us even know this spot. Last ti.e I was there...2018....I was tracking ballast stones leading into the mangrove swamp. As far as silver bars are concerned this would be the area to begin at. Natural sink holes with loose stones piled in would be what your looking for to start. There is very little sand to dig in except at the hightide mark where there is a sand dune. The 450 cobbs were buried in this sand dune and after 25 or 30 were found loose and on top of the sand, they returned the next day and recovered the rest with a shovel !!

Holy crap! I voted for banner find.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RustyRelics, from what I understand about being in construction unions, being an Operating Engineer (such as a crane operator) is all about the mathematics. If you test well in math, you got a good chance.

I was a carpenter in heavy commercial construction. Because of my math skill, I was the kid who did layout with the foreman. Probably bragging here but even when I was an apprentice I could convert thousandths of a foot to inches and fractions of an inch down to the nearest 1/8th inch without paper or calculator. The architect's plans are always drawn in decimal fractions which cannot be found on your tape measure.

That and I learned to set up the theodolite over a datum point in the street twice as fast as the foreman could do it.

That was my nickname - "Street" :laughing7:

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Morning fellas.

Been a busy few days. I started my initial entry for Norfolk Southern. I haven't officially sent in a letter of application, but I entered their hiring system, so they know I'm there. Letter of Application for the position of Freight Conductor will be sent out the day I graduate high school.

I have a feeling that because I am 18, they will not accept me because of my age. Usually I see conductors finish training at around the age of 25. I just don't think they'll hire someone like me fresh out of high school even though I meet their age, education and other requirements.

If for some reason they DO accept my application, I'll be sent down on an all expenses paid trip to Atlanta Georgia for a month to begin training. Week one will be from 7:00am to 4:00pm, but it could finish earlier depending on class size. Week one just gets you acclimated to what you'll be around all day, and lays down the basic ground rules. Week two is where it gets interesting. Classes begin at 4:00pm and end at 1:00am. Everything gets progressively harder, and studying the books is highly recommended. Good news is, I technically already have the books so... :) Week Three ends the program, and that is when testing begins. Tests on signals and hazmat are the most stringent, because if you get below a 97%, you fail. Like I said, I already have the books, and my dad worked with Hazmat for over 30 years, so I'm not worried too much. Classes do not take place on the weekends, and trainees are encouraged to go out and do something, because the stress is what gets to some trainees, and gets them wired. I plan on taking my detector and camera with me. Atlanta was a Civil War hot spot.

If I pass the tests, they call me and inform me that I have X amount of weeks to get my butt to wherever they put me. I put down on my hiring profile that I am 100% willing to travel, and currently do not have roots anywhere. So they could literally send me anywhere north or south of the Mason-Dixon line, and anywhere east and west all the way out to Illinois.

Most of hiring is generally in house through seniority when it comes to different positions on R/R. Though your age is a factor and your ability to learn isn't.
The video posted runs you through the first week of training.
In a reply on the % grade one must achieve they are as you stated for signal (one must be near perfect) then over all a 80% will pass. Hazmat you get 2 kicks.

"80% is required passing on all tests minus the signal exam which is now a 97%. Your allowed one retake test on all exams except for the hazmat exam, which that one is open book for the most part..shouldn’t fail that one."

Bill's suggestion of getting the foot in the door comes from a person that breathed the R/R life even though in a different dept.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Therein lies the problem. I am good at my school work, but the act of sitting down and doing paperwork drives me insane. I don't think I would last long at any kind of job that requires that.

Granted, when I am a conductor, I will be sitting down doing some paperwork, but I'll be in a moving locomotive going across the country while doing so. Before and after that, I'll be very physically active inspecting the train, coupling air hoses, and walking up to two miles either way to make sure the train is in good order. I just can't bear the thought of sitting in an office.

When working in the R/R system you will have a division to where you work out of, home base being point A to point B where the company might have their own facilities or a designated lodging. This is the division you'll travel back and forth in that division A>B - B>A, until the end of that position.
This is the model of the R/R and has been from the beginning of time.
Reasons is to know every part of that section in the division-the signals, crossings, the slow/fast track. The R/R prides themselves on safety on the mainlines and there's a team of 3 run a train (could even be less now) Engineer, Conductor, Brake M/W.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks mike....its a very special spot. I have been exploring here for many years going back as far as 1980..I was 10 when we got the ring out of the rock. I probably know the terrain there better than any living soul today. It is far far off the beaten path. Last time I kyaked from ocean reef.....the rangers were baffled as to how I got there. I told them I paddled from ocean reef club the closest point of civilization. They asked what I was doing, I said fishing which i was also. I didn't tell them I was freediving the chanel where Marty told me to go....all I can say is its all there and I'm sure even more than marty meylach ever knew. I treat it like I am beach combing and that has always been ok....no detectors !! Never seen another soul although I know folks do get up there from time to time. I fish on the spot for snook alot. I got to go to work but ill post what I know a little at a time...ill show you guys some Google earth shots and tell you some of my theories on it.
Black ceaser is alot of fun.....what ever there name was someone was there in the mid to late 1700s and im sure even earlier !!

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most of hiring is generally in house through seniority when it comes to different positions on R/R. Though your age is a factor and your ability to learn isn't.
The video posted runs you through the first week of training.
In a reply on the % grade one must achieve they are as you stated for signal (one must be near perfect) then over all a 80% will pass. Hazmat you get 2 kicks.

"80% is required passing on all tests minus the signal exam which is now a 97%. Your allowed one retake test on all exams except for the hazmat exam, which that one is open book for the most part..shouldn’t fail that one."

Bill's suggestion of getting the foot in the door comes from a person that breathed the R/R life even though in a different dept.

I do know multiple railroad conductors, a few engineers, a Division manager for NS, CSX, CP, UP, CN DHL, FedEx and UPS, and a VP of Operations for a shortline railroad. That's the only thing I feel I got going for me right now.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
GMorn all, I have a tower story. Between Alliance Ne and Scottsbluff Ne there was a tower. KDUH? tv. 1968 ft tall. I remember because it my birth year. I seen base jumpers climb up and float down and have a few pics someday I’ll run across. Some of the cable running up to were as big around as a dinner plate 12-15inches biggest I’ve seen. When you stand and base and look up it swing back and forth. I had to lay on my back to see top. 20? Some years ago a crew was working on upgrade and it fell down. Two people died. I looked it up on www there are a few pics and story’s about.
Have great day...

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Food for thought....lol.

WELCOME TO THE FUTURE.

Ordering a Pizza in 2022
CALLER: Is this Pizza Hut?
GOOGLE: No sir, it's Google Pizza.
CALLER: I must have dialed a wrong number, sorry.
GOOGLE: No sir, Google bought Pizza Hut last month.
CALLER: OK. I would like to order a pizza.
GOOGLE: Do you want your usual, sir?
CALLER: My usual? You know me?
GOOGLE: According to our caller ID data sheet, the last 12 times you called you ordered an extra-large pizza with three cheeses, sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms and meatballs on a thick crust.
CALLER: Super! That’s what I’ll have.
GOOGLE: May I suggest that this time you order a pizza with ricotta, arugula, sun-dried tomatoes and olives on a whole wheat gluten-free thin crust?
CALLER: What? I don’t want a vegetarian pizza!
GOOGLE: Your cholesterol is not good, sir.
CALLER: How do you know that?
GOOGLE: Well, we cross-referenced your home phone number with your medical records. We have the result of your blood tests for the last 7 years.
CALLER: Okay, but I do not want your rotten vegetarian pizza! I already take medication for my cholesterol.
GOOGLE: Excuse me sir, but you have not taken your medication regularly. According to our database, you purchased only a box of 30 cholesterol tablets once at Lloyds Pharmacy, 4 months ago.
CALLER: I bought more from another Pharmacy.
GOOGLE: That doesn’t show on your credit card statement.
CALLER: I paid in cash.
GOOGLE: But you did not withdraw enough cash according to your bank statement.
CALLER: I have other sources of cash.
GOOGLE: That doesn’t show on your latest tax returns, unless you bought them using an undeclared income source, which is against the law!
CALLER: WHAT THE HECK?
GOOGLE: I'm sorry sir, we use such information only with the sole intention of helping you.
CALLER: Enough already! I'm sick of Google, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and all the others. I'm going to an island without the internet, TV, where there is no phone service and no one to watch me or spy on me.
GOOGLE: I understand sir, but you need to renew your passport first. It expired 6 weeks ago...
Welcome to the future...
(Copy and paste, just like I did).
1f923.png
1f923.png
1f923.png

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rusty,

Well there's always a job in maintenance of way where you get to drive spikes, etc.....as another option if you can't stand a desk job. You get lots of fresh air and hard work to toughen you up.

It does take a certain mental toughness to be in the railway industry. Lots of people quit or burned out during my time in the game.

From what I've seen of your character on the thread I believe you probably have what it takes to play the game.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread