THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might know them.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Bart, you are welcome. I thought it would be a fun thing to do and Mr WD thought so too. And I thought the world’s fair token was a different kind of treasure for you. It was from my mom’s collection. The guys promise to bring us down there. We will try to hook up with your family then.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I hope so...that would be so cool !!

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here it is.....one of my most cherished iron objects.....black ceasers ring in the rock !! Nothing special to it except where it came from. Like I said...there is at least one more still there and these 2 were used together, to heel the boat over. I believe that these rings were used to careen the ship for cleaning....not for the hiding of the mast. The large number of coins found here were probably brought shore here and hidden while the boat was on the careen. The people who left the 450 cobbs were probably attacked by Indians or forced to flee and the coins were abandoned or lost. None of the coins were dated later than 1680. Many deny the existence of this spot.....they obviously have never spent 5 minutes there or they would know there is evidence of a semi permanent camp or settlement there. I may drag an archie there in the future....im working on something now....unfortunately I missed hooking up with these guys before they made there discovery Channel show on black ceaser. I don't think they are aware of the actual location of this camp. My biggest discovery is a key that is unnamed on the charts.....very old charts name this key as GOLD key. I believe the name was abandoned in an effort to keep treasure hunters away. It is very close to the scene. Another possible pirate name is Davis, also a pirate named Kelly may have frequented this area....I believe it was used by several pirates at different times. Only a few of us even know this spot. Last ti.e I was there...2018....I was tracking ballast stones leading into the mangrove swamp. As far as silver bars are concerned this would be the area to begin at. Natural sink holes with loose stones piled in would be what your looking for to start. There is very little sand to dig in except at the hightide mark where there is a sand dune. The 450 cobbs were buried in this sand dune and after 25 or 30 were found loose and on top of the sand, they returned the next day and recovered the rest with a shovel !!

Thanks mike....its a very special spot. I have been exploring here for many years going back as far as 1980..I was 10 when we got the ring out of the rock. I probably know the terrain there better than any living soul today. It is far far off the beaten path. Last time I kyaked from ocean reef.....the rangers were baffled as to how I got there. I told them I paddled from ocean reef club the closest point of civilization. They asked what I was doing, I said fishing which i was also. I didn't tell them I was freediving the chanel where Marty told me to go....all I can say is its all there and I'm sure even more than marty meylach ever knew. I treat it like I am beach combing and that has always been ok....no detectors !! Never seen another soul although I know folks do get up there from time to time. I fish on the spot for snook alot. I got to go to work but ill post what I know a little at a time...ill show you guys some Google earth shots and tell you some of my theories on it.
Black ceaser is alot of fun.....what ever there name was someone was there in the mid to late 1700s and im sure even earlier !!

That's freaking' awesome Bart. I love love love that iron ring. First I've caught of your story of them finding those cobs. That's some serious silver.
So did you go down there from Ft. Pierce to visit your grandpa? Best of lick on the water tomorrow.

I picked up a couple of books signed by the author at an estate sale a couple of months ago. "Thirty Florida Shipwrecks" and "Twenty Florida Pirates" and the story of Black Caesar was in there. Fun reading and never imagined to see an artifact associated with him pop up on the forum.

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jim,

The 900 cookbook offer was very generous and adding another room to our overflowing house for storage ain't very cost effective at my stage in life....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes pete....its been more than just a passing thing for me....my grand father was a lieutenant colonel in WW2. he flew the first B-29s. Any way he became quite wealthy after the war with a frozen food business. He bought some of the first lots in the ocean reef club. Thats a private community in extreme upper key largo. We had quite a bit of property in south Miami, keylargo, and on Andros island, Freeport and green turtle bahamas. He was passionate about treasure hunting and beach combing as I am now. We had a special connection with our hobby and he passed it on to me.....we hunted for black ceaser !! To name one. Because of ocean reef clubs closeness to the area I was able to explore this remote spot more than most....it is a special area of Florida that few have seen. Im blessed to work and live so close to this area...I see it every day...and then I met MARTY MEYLACH he was my mentor and taught me alot about treasure hunting....everything made sense now,, and all the places my grandfather showed me all came together with what Marty showed me and told me. Many people will say there is no evidence of black ceaser....I doubt they have put boots on the ground...and if they have....they would have to put in a tremendous amount of time there to see the things I have. Its just way out there to go to regularly !! Time on the ground and years of pondering, exploring, and theorizing have given me a different view than most.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jim,

The 900 cookbook offer was very generous and adding another room to our overflowing house for storage ain't very cost effective at my stage in life....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Bill that's what man caves are for. :laughing7:
The books were going to a Maple syrup festival last year, as a donation for the hall fund raising.
Due to COVID it was canceled, this year is not going to be any better probably.
It takes up 2 large skids of space in the shop.
There's boxes of gardening books, interior design, self help :icon_scratch:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

May the winds be kind to ye, one & all!
G'night laddies & lasses! :sleepy2:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good night my fellow Tnetians.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Morning WD, and Rook, and all that will be drinking the nectar of the bean on this fine Morning.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Gmorn, 3-4 inches of snow and 19 above. I heard the sandhill cranes last night, high high over head.
Bart That is just awesome pic and story. Do you or did “pops” keep a journal? I think a day journal is important. Putting the story to paper somehow can help you recall more about it all even if starting it now.
Lake Erie tourneys use to be middle of April so end of March headed there. That’s why ceded point was never open when I was there.
Have great day..

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Morning WD, and Rook, and all that will be drinking the nectar of the bean on this fine Morning.

I am in terrible needs of said nectar! I stayed at my friend’s, BuckIdgr. I don’t know the galley enough to create a good morning ration.

I spent the evening teaching how to navigate treasurenet, telling what I have learned about some of the people, drinking wine, and we watched The Dig,

BuckIdgr signed up to be a charter member last night. When I showed the difference between logging on as a regular and a charter, well, getting rid of the annoying ads sealed the deal.
ARC, can ye handle another rum drinker? We shall see if /when she posts.

Today, we may get the nerve to track down that old site I mentioned a week or so ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread