THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess I will travel the road of the less popular.
This road is in fact why we find our little globe struggling today.

Back in the day a Betty wringer washing machine was a purchase-it lasted-but one learnt not to get the fingers into the wringer or it would be a world of ouch.
Today's world is constructed in a way of just buy and toss-totally disposable in every sector it seems.
That's why they have coined the phrase "Disposable income"
Which means lay away-buy now pay later-buy cheap-replace XXXX times in one's life.
Now lets take the example of widget X at a base price of X or Y then there's the Z.
X will last 3-5 yrs
Y Because the warranty is better.
Z is unattainable in ones budget one believes.

So for now we will go with X and carry on-so X fails because it's manufactured cheaply. So once again:
Time to shop
Pick up/delivery/disposal
Repairs for X.
The over all environmental exposure Manufacturing/garbage/carbon footprint of replacing X

Yet we can't justify the reasons of purchasing a Y or a Z
Repeat and the price point of X is now past what Y was and now on #3 repeat has surpassed the Z

Yet this how the system is all geared and that's what the world wants.

Now why did the Betty wringer washer go for 30+ yrs and the modern one is good for 3-5 yrs?

So lets focus on the dishwasher
Google it and here is the price $1299.00
How long does it last?

The life expectancy of a Miele dishwasher is 20 years.
Feb. 20, 2021

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Scuba - bad experiences the other night has helped us make the decision to check out the other place. There are 3 of us now and hubbies are all ok with us gals traveling and diving. The guy at this place we’re heading to this morning, gave me bad vibes.
The instructor gave you bad vibes?

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3kqKl2V.jpg

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, around here 411 information is what you call when you forget the number for human services which is 211.

But 911 is almost the same except it is faster.

And armed men will arrive at your location, but all these numbers end in two ones.

:thumbsup:

The operative word? It is that way, around here, *NOW*. :tongue3:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess I will travel the road of the less popular.
This road is in fact why we find our little globe struggling today.

Back in the day a Betty wringer washing machine was a purchase-it lasted-but one learnt not to get the fingers into the wringer or it would be a world of ouch.
Today's world is constructed in a way of just buy and toss-totally disposable in every sector it seems.
That's why they have coined the phrase "Disposable income"
Which means lay away-buy now pay later-buy cheap-replace XXXX times in one's life.
Now lets take the example of widget X at a base price of X or Y then there's the Z.
X will last 3-5 yrs
Y Because the warranty is better.
Z is unattainable in ones budget one believes.

So for now we will go with X and carry on-so X fails because it's manufactured cheaply. So once again:
Time to shop
Pick up/delivery/disposal
Repairs for X.
The over all environmental exposure Manufacturing/garbage/carbon footprint of replacing X

Yet we can't justify the reasons of purchasing a Y or a Z
Repeat and the price point of X is now past what Y was and now on #3 repeat has surpassed the Z

Yet this how the system is all geared and that's what the world wants.

Now why did the Betty wringer washer go for 30+ yrs and the modern one is good for 3-5 yrs?

So lets focus on the dishwasher
Google it and here is the price $1299.00
How long does it last?

The life expectancy of a Miele dishwasher is 20 years.
Feb. 20, 2021

We have paid that much for appliances before. Then, just after the warranty runs out, our washing machine broke down and it cost almost as much as it did new to fix it. You are right, we are a throw away society and I am part of the problem. We have had this dishwasher for 9 years . I am the one who looked up the parts and got the AOK to try and fix it. If we call a repair person, pfft, that’s $100.00 just for coming out. Then order parts, then another trip charge and labor. I’ll give it a whirl. Might squeak out a couple more years. Uh, anyone know how to work on a dishwasher? I may need talked through it . LOL

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uh, anyone know how to work on a dishwasher? I may need talked through it . LOL
of course. what is the issue...there are really only a few parts there....
PM if you like!

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A new dishwasher is a a slice of cake to install. Usually there are just two "L"s screws into both counter and dishwasher top. Unscrew those from bottom of counter. The whole thing is very light and should pull right out. If it's hard wired just make sure to shut your box breaker to "OFF", then clip the wires and tie on a female three prong outlet. Your new washer either comes with a 120v plug, or the plug comes as an accessory, or just tie on a male plug from whatever. Make sure you use the ground wire.

Plug it into the outlet, push it back under the counter, level the unit as best you can, and screw it back to the bottom of the counter. A ten year old kid could do it*.

*With Adult Supervison.

Edited to add- the new dishwasher will usually come with a sound dampening blanket around it. Do not remove that, that sound blanket sure do work swell. :BangHead:

Last edited:

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ve had trouble with were the washing machine drains into garbage disposal. If you don’t have a loop in that line it gets plugged a little and doesn’t drain out. I hardly use the disposal but somehow that was my problem.

The only flask I can find is from being in a wedding in the 90’s. Not glass.
I need to go look for Bart’s hinge, I keep forgetting..

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We have paid that much for appliances before. Then, just after the warranty runs out, our washing machine broke down and it cost almost as much as it did new to fix it. You are right, we are a throw away society and I am part of the problem. We have had this dishwasher for 9 years . I am the one who looked up the parts and got the AOK to try and fix it. If we call a repair person, pfft, that’s $100.00 just for coming out. Then order parts, then another trip charge and labor. I’ll give it a whirl. Might squeak out a couple more years. Uh, anyone know how to work on a dishwasher? I may need talked through it . LOL

We got the appliances with this place as we were staging the other home. The 2 door fridge was always gathering ice in the bottom of the freezer and was a typical problem with this model of fridge.
So YouTube to the rescue-seems to be a video on how to do just about anything these days.
So the minimum charge was going to be around $300 plus travelling time.
They said it was a 3 hour repair to disassemble the lower part of the fridge.
You tube video watched it twice-3 hr to do what they wanted to do, I didn't have a new Duckbill drain so i drilled a hole through the lips and it's been working like a charm for the past 3 yrs now. :headbang:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Pepperj ye be correct. Three short videos to replace the parts I ordered. I think I can do it. [emoji4]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread