THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pepperj ye be correct. Three short videos to replace the parts I ordered. I think I can do it. [emoji4]

It's not like somebody is looking over ya shoulder trying to help ya out. The pause button works great on the videos, and fast forward. :laughing7:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you all for your advice. It’s cool to have people that are willing to help with bumps in the road of life.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey cap...how much treasure do you get on your weekend hunts ?? I'm assuming you hall arse early on the weekends to the yard sales and estate sales, and maybe the flea markets....just wondering what your getting?

Yeah... its tuff out there... lots of people here... too many hunters of stuff... and I am not as "gung ho" like many moons ago.

Every now and then I find something cool... but to tell ya the truth... I get tickled when I can find something I can use.

I hate paying retail for anything.

:)

As far as "treasure" goes... I don't know what you call treasure... but above mentioned are my treasures... UM... NOT LIKE what you find... Your the only guy I know finding REAL treasure. heh

I sorta gave up on the treasure hunts sorry to say...

My dreams of ever being able to salvage a wreck were long ago squashed by all the "red tape" and stupidity on the State level.

So...

Here I am.

And as far as metal detecting... its been a LONG time since I have detected... detectors are covered in dust... and have been... don't think I have fired em up in 2 years.

And over 6 since I have been on the water now. :(

Basically you can say...

I am rusting away.

PS>.. Been selling off my collections over the past years... and still am... just for the little extras.

But,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Just so ya know...

I am always up and ready for an adventure... and have been talking with my other half about getting out detecting recently... just a matter of time.

Finding time that is... I know I gotta make time... but that seems to require more than I have these days.

Just been in a long "rut"... day to day.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you all for your advice. It’s cool to have people that are willing to help with bumps in the road of life.

It's a great thing to hear that you're getting a few extra miles out of the DW, and saving a bit of $$$.
I mark that up as a win-win not having to pay for that expert to come in and hike up the big daddy pant attitude on why a person did this or that to cause the problem in the first place.

The fact is that we are so weak kneed in North America when it comes to warrantee issues, and if we had the compliance of the EU things would be a whole lot different here.
10yr warrantee on all appliances regardless-period.

Just reading a bit of a study on extending the life of a washing machine:

Evidence suggests that extending the lifespan of a washing machine by just five years could be the equivalent of taking half a million cars off the road a year.

There's that "could" it's like the "if" in a statement.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
All hand hoy! Toss Jacob’s Ladder o’er the port side. Me has a glimpse of Msbeep swimming to de ship!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah... its tuff out there... lots of people here... too many hunters of stuff... and I am not as "gung ho" like many moons ago.

Every now and then I find something cool... but to tell ya the truth... I get tickled when I can find something I can use.

As far as "treasure" goes... I don't know what you call treasure... but above mentioned are my treasures... UM... NOT LIKE what you find... Your the only guy I know finding REAL treasure. heh

My dreams of ever being able to salvage a wreck were long ago squashed by all the "red tape" and stupidity on the State level.

So...

Here I am.

And as far as metal detecting... its been a LONG time since I have detected... detectors are covered in dust... and have been... don't think I have fired em up in 2 years.

Basically you can say...

I am rusting away.

PS>.. Been selling off my collections over the past years... and still am... just for the little extras.

Just so ya know...

I am always up and ready for an adventure... and have been talking with my other half about getting out detecting recently... just a matter of time.

Finding time that is... I know I gotta make time... but that seems to require more than I have these days.

The daily grind will wear anyone down-and the rusting out isn't good.
Do the detectors owe ya anything-probably not. I go by the have and the had in life now. I just have in the past parted with so much of life that its nice to have a taste of the haves.
Many times we say remember that piece of .....what happened to it?

It's always so much easier to look in the window than looking out, but I will throw this one in for thought.
You wake up some fine morning and the burning itch needs tending to-ok throw a battery in the machine lets get at it-oh crap I sold it.....no sense crying over spilled milk they say...but rusting out scratching the nards isn't either.

Oh I hear you on what you're saying about the little treasures from the sales-heck since this virus popped up there's hardly anything out there worth looking at.
The online go-to auction sites is like a used recycled garage sale of a weekend picker reselling the 10-25 cent picks.
Not worth the bother even to look-the estate ones are just silly prices to where I can't justify for my own needs.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All hand hoy! Toss Jacob’s Ladder o’er the port side. Me has a glimpse of Msbeep swimming to de ship!

Here ya go!

D7EB7D5B-EC01-4A99-93A4-3918D749583C_4_5005_c.jpeg

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think it's amazing how WD's broken washing machine can make us all so philosophical. :laughing7:

This is a saying that I've never heard Jim... "It's always so much easier to look in the window than look out", I'll have to remember that one.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think it's amazing how WD's broken washing machine can make us all so philosophical. :laughing7:

This is a saying that I've never heard Jim... "It's always so much easier to look in the window than look out", I'll have to remember that one.
I'm sure I'll wear that one in the future.:laughing7:

But I have been thinking about the spring hunting season and you are needing a back up detector.
Just saw this cheaply priced pup on the sale ads in your area.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-general-electronics/city-of-toronto/alpha-metal-detector/1542520452

I bet you could detect my permissions without even having to drive....:tongue3:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OK, MIA - Capt/WD/MsBB thinking they're off doing it already this morning-Geez no invites either.

6A9C8943-AD02-4F8D-8354-1EE0F7850267_4_5005_c.jpeg

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Gmorn all, how about I’d rather owe you than pay you? That’s how I feel about new appliances. I have a front load washer and dryer, biggest piece of junk. The washing machine doesn’t use any water, The old thing filled half up, and than you gotta put stuff in it so it doesn’t get sour in few days.
RTR I saw a right hand drive cobera in some video last night but didn’t catch the name, so, thanks for nothing, sry about that...lol... did you pick a dredge yet. I haven’t seen any cleanup for too long. I would say that’s found treasure.
Msbeeps is liking stuff I forgot I typed out..lol, wait till she sees Bart’s coinage....
It takes a big pot for leftover onion soup but I have one. Home made croutons too but no recipe, dry torn up bread....

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good morning.

I got skunked detecting yesterday. All I found was a "Sanforized" button off of a pair of 1940s jeans. Today I'll be going shed hunting a friends place, even though it's raining cats and dogs.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So...

Here I am.

Basically you can say...

I am rusting away.

Just so ya know...

I gotcha cap....at least your getting out and doing it. Recently my old estate sale boss has been trying to get me back on tour. I used to help set up and put on estate sales. It was alot of fun, and he is a big shot in the estate sale world. I mainly set up, break down, and at the end dispose of trash. I also moved all the heavies and do the clean out at the end so the house could be sold. I did enjoy that life but when I had a kid my time evaporated for this type of stuff. The most treasure I ever found came about 2 years in to this side job. 3 times in 1 year I found big caches of silver. 2 were in ammo cans, and one was in a canvas bank bag. I was there ace in the hole...a real treasure finder !! We would treasure hunt at the beginning and at the end. I would scour attics, basements, and crawl spaces. Nothing in the world beats finding an ammo can of silver dollars !! We would buy the complete contents of a home, then organize and have an estate sale. Whatever was left went into storage or the trash. We had a massive warehouse of stuff for other sales. We also had a realestate license and would sometimes sell the house also. It was a very rich job but it is a never ending amount of hard work. My partner was badly injured in an attic one day by a roofing nail through the top of his skull....he was brain damaged badly by the injury, and I started to ware a bike helmet up there. One of my greatest finds was an 11 carat diamond ring found in the track of a sliding glass door. I miss that lifestyle alot , but I don't miss the Neverending hard, dirty, sweaty, work !! I also don't miss the piles of stuff I would bring home each time. They still call me from time to time.....it could be time to get back involved. Best treasure hunting i ever did was was rummaging through dead peoples personal belongings.....seems everyone always hid something somewhere !! I know they miss my treasure hunting skills.....the first time I used a black light to search for disturbances in the paint and plaster my boss sat there with his mouth open in disbelief.....the first time I found a safe hidden behind a wall he almost had a heart attack !! That one year I think I found 70 pounds of silver coins in 3 different homes !! I was never allowed to take pics, for fear of being sued.....most of the time no one ever knew there parents had stashed these things. Once we inked the contract and paid for all the contents we felt like this treasure was ours....after all the family could have taken the time to go through the house themselves.....all they want is all the junk out so the house can be sold and they can get there hands on a check. That was always fine with me....almost every house I found some treasure !!

Last edited:

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Ethan do you have a dog? If you want to find more sheds get a dog and teach to bring you deer sheds. There are a lot of videos of how train. It my dogs part time job..

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm sure I'll wear that one in the future.:laughing7:

But I have been thinking about the spring hunting season and you are needing a back up detector.
Just saw this cheaply priced pup on the sale ads in your area.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-general-electronics/city-of-toronto/alpha-metal-detector/1542520452

I bet you could detect my permissions without even having to drive....:tongue3:

$4900.00 for a Ouija widget device.
Saw this same type of a device at a buddy's detecting store back 30 yrs ago. He tried to sell me one and at that time it was some crazy price as well, way out of my league of purchasing power. $600-800 Whites was realistic.
So I watched the 13 min. video of instructional use-13 minutes of uselessness that will never be recovered.
Points of don't do: Don't use around building, jewelry, high voltage lines, and take off all jewelry in the search area.
Yet in the video it shows the user putting jewelry in the packsack, the other bearded pirate wearing a watch, and another frame of the unit being used in a park surrounded with large buildings.
Ok I'm being a tad sceptical this morning.
50 meters under ground-park-no wonder this hobby is banned in Vancouver.....:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions