THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good morning fellas.

I'm selling coins in the classified section, to raise money so I can buy that 1798 8 reale coin I saw in a local shop. It's the real deal alright, I got to see it again yesterday. Everything is correct, and you can even see the "sour silver" marks on it, common on reales of the time and impossible to counterfeit.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Im working on it....its lost a lot of meat....she's weathered...had to replace all the boards around the hatch.....one more sanding and then sell the boat and let someone else re deck it. I feel for the guy thats gonna try and rip out my new boards....they're in there good now !!
Teak, I am not going down that road ever again. 41' Cheerman trawler all teaked out....500-600 hrs of labour I figured, plus the hrs bought from the boat repair. Could drop anything in the bilge and pick it out and blow a dust bunny off it. Clean, no water, oil, crap. A bilge will tell a person a lot about what the vessel.
B.O.A.T Bring.out.another.thousand
Lovely vessel 800 NM on the tankard.
Latest Ray Marine radar, controllers, remote, auto-pilot.
My buddy Captain was always so impressed by the abilities of the vessel.
One return 6 -8 footers and we were just letting her go straight as an arrow.
Such a love/hate relationship with teak.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Morning to all, hope this fine day will bring you a good day.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a long battle with some teak deck boards. Seems there is no teak available right now. Had to drive to key wierd...I mean key west. 5 years ago I found 200 teak 2x4s washed up in the mangroves...I sold them to a boat builder down there. Had to go and buy one back. Got a 12 footer, and then had to stand it on edge and rip it length wise on a bandsaw. Not an easy feat. Then had to plane and shape the boards to fit. Im so sick of this 112 foot yacht....had the entire crew walk off and quit again....convincing the boss to sell this thing...its bleeding us dry of money, time, and the fun factor is not there. View attachment 1907623

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
GMorn world, weather gal says 70 today, yesterday’s 67 felt way past warm.
to Me, the whole “organic” issue can be debatable. I heard a guy on radio 20 some years ago break down ethanol, corn gasoline. The whole process of raising corn, tillage-plant-cultivate-harvest-transportation. The “seen” advantage actually cost more in fuel to “produce”. The “corn” market is an artificial, subsidized, controlled by government commodity. The demand for corn as an animal feed caused the “grocery” market to rise drastically.
Raising organic crops has the same effect.
In my personal effort to grow organic crops this is my experience. To get certified “organic” another “goberment” person has to “inspect” your operation. 3 years no chemicals on that piece of ground. After first year, second crop I can put it in organic market. It gets accepted as an organic crop but it is not totally. It’s like “Tare” in a crop, trash, the farmer gets less for it but it goes into the same storage elevator. The cost of producing half a crop with higher input cost in tillage, burning twice as much diesel, shouldn’t organic be farmed with horses?” seed corn prices are not any cheaper, around $200 a bag, that will plant not quite 1.5 acres, are not any cheaper. The lose of production with the same amount of irrigation, ground water, used is upside down also.
So what gives? I like breathing clean air, drink clean water, eating “hahaa” clean foods. I think it’s more of a “scare” tactic.
The sky is falling.
In the end, Its like having a bad motorcycle crash with your helmet on, you become an open casket funeral, but your still dead...

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
GMorn world, weather gal says 70 today, yesterday’s 67 felt way past warm.
to Me, the whole “organic” issue can be debatable. I heard a guy on radio 20 some years ago break down ethanol, corn gasoline. The whole process of raising corn, tillage-plant-cultivate-harvest-transportation. The “seen” advantage actually cost more in fuel to “produce”. The “corn” market is an artificial, subsidized, controlled by government commodity. The demand for corn as an animal feed caused the “grocery” market to rise drastically.
Raising organic crops has the same effect.
In my personal effort to grow organic crops this is my experience. To get certified “organic” another “goberment” person has to “inspect” your operation. 3 years no chemicals on that piece of ground. After first year, second crop I can put it in organic market. It gets accepted as an organic crop but it is not totally. It’s like “Tare” in a crop, trash, the farmer gets less for it but it goes into the same storage elevator. The cost of producing half a crop with higher input cost in tillage, burning twice as much diesel, shouldn’t organic be farmed with horses?” seed corn prices are not any cheaper, around $200 a bag, that will plant not quite 1.5 acres, are not any cheaper. The lose of production with the same amount of irrigation, ground water, used is upside down also.
So what gives? I like breathing clean air, drink clean water, eating “hahaa” clean foods. I think it’s more of a “scare” tactic.
The sky is falling.
In the end, Its like having a bad motorcycle crash with your helmet on, you become an open casket funeral, but your still dead...

It's a tough one to be true to one's beliefs.
Grow for the fuel, crazy are the days of gone corn for a simple tacos.
Permaculture, sustainability, composting, no crapping in one's backyard.
The cert. Of Organic is great, if one loves paper.
$6-8k no problem, kind of like a ISO 9000 rating.
Easy to buy, but does it really mean that the signage is still true. Just get to know the person/farmer

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had alota fun with my kid this morning. Took off to my wrecker spot for some treasure hunting. He picked a ton of potsherds and sea glass !! Everything is so new to him.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screaming at the top of our lungs at each other...."look what I found daddy"

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Another day of playing the plumber hat yesterday.
Got the fixtures in place.
Got to love water savers-not.
Used to just bug the inners up.
Pay 100's for a room, and a weak bladder could provide more pressure and flow.
20210306_090351.jpg
GOODBYE TO THE WATER SAVERS.
20210305_175410.jpg

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jim,

You had mentioned the other day about not wanting to raise meat birds because of the cost of slaughtering.

Just wondering with all the berries you're planting maybe you can do some bartering with a nearby farmer who raises meat birds.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's good money to be made for organic growers if they do it intensively and have a good system in place.

I'll post up a link for one of the better ones shortly. Here's a video by an upstate NY organic grower if memory serves me correctly he's grossing $350/375k range on 1 & 1/2 acres of land.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jim,

You had mentioned the other day about not wanting to raise meat birds because of the cost of slaughtering.

Just wondering with all the berries you're planting maybe you can do some bartering with a nearby farmer who raises meat birds.

There's good money to be made for organic growers if they do it intensively and have a good system in place.

I'll post up a link for one of the better ones shortly.

Morning Bill

Got my order confirmed for herbs/tomato/melon/kale seeds. I haven't told the chickens yet though as they'll be pecking me wondering where the share is.

We traded eggs for dog food yesterday with one person, sold some beef to another customer that gets 8 dozen every 2 weeks. It's all fun even though it's a tad more on the plate raising all these things up, but it's well worth it looking ahead.
The blueberry farm we pick at every years-finished the chickens and the pigs off on berries (I was jealous of a pig/chicken) getting all those berries.
We trade a lot of goods within our small coop of friends-some have this or that-and others have something else. Money is no issue really with what one wants for the product because we know the standards of each growers we know the foods are clean.
I trade maple syrup for items and a few years ago one person got a 10 litres to do all her salmon up, now that was a treat to have a bit on a return visit.

I was looking at your seed order last night and Leeks and Onions are 2 items on the growing list this year also. Oh just need to plant some extra time-wonder if it will grow?

Wife is trying to pickle up some eggs using some balsamic vinegar.

1 acre of organic blueberries can produce a 20K return yearly on maturity of the plant.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
.... do you buy organic bread or organic wheat? It’s hard to know whom grew this loaf of “organic” sandwich bread.
GMO is another definition. The act of select breeding, cross breeding, cross pollination started way before “DuPont”
I have seen a neat program about Indian corn. How it started as a grass “maze” and than the “savage man” harvested, he selected the plants with the best traits that he could witness. They were the first to hybrid and try and grow better crops.
Compost is about scale. Let’s “say” on my south quarter, 160 acres, there is a 120 acre corn field. I’m going to need200# of Nitrogen per acre, to produce 200 bu crop of corn. 24000 lbs. 12 tons of N spread over field evenly. I don’t know how much that would take but 5-15 N capture in the composting materials. For easier math let’s say 20%, I will need 5 tons of compost per acre to get my 200 #N. There are ways of better capture and some streamlining but my20% number is as high, roughly, as you can capture the N and still have a plant grow with out burning up because of the decomposition. It’s just not doable or anywhere close to feasible. Again very broad numbers. Go to your local farm agronomy place and they can explain for days.
I’m not saying stop your backyard or city block garden spots but be realistic as to what it does take to grow a crop.
Sustainable also means Me making that payment along with my costs to produce a crop and my lunches, Somehow I have to stay alive to be sustainable.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
.... do you buy organic bread or organic wheat? It’s hard to know whom grew this loaf of “organic” sandwich bread.
GMO is another definition. The act of select breeding, cross breeding, cross pollination started way before “DuPont”
I have seen a neat program about Indian corn. How it started as a grass “maze” and than the “savage man” harvested, he selected the plants with the best traits that he could witness. They were the first to hybrid and try and grow better crops.
Compost is about scale. Let’s “say” on my south quarter, 160 acres, there is a 120 acre corn field. I’m going to need200# of Nitrogen per acre, to produce 200 bu crop of corn. 24000 lbs. 12 tons of N spread over field evenly. I don’t know how much that would take but 5-15 N capture in the composting materials. For easier math let’s say 20%, I will need 5 tons of compost per acre to get my 200 #N. There are ways of better capture and some streamlining but my20% number is as high, roughly, as you can capture the N and still have a plant grow with out burning up because of the decomposition. It’s just not doable or anywhere close to feasible. Again very broad numbers. Go to your local farm agronomy place and they can explain for days.
I’m not saying stop your backyard or city block garden spots but be realistic as to what it does take to grow a crop.
Sustainable also means Me making that payment along with my costs to produce a crop and my lunches, Somehow I have to stay alive to be sustainable.

You've looked at the no till buffalo method?
To me (for what little froggin I do) it's cost prohibitive. I'd need a seed drill and a crimper. But I do like the concept. For varied reasons.
Not exposing and drying the soil is one. "Manure" from crop/stem debris is another. Greater moisture retention. Less erosion. Not exposing the seed bank of undesired plants to sunlight.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Location and population. I’m 180 miles to Denver, 300 to Omaha. Sure there is always something on the grading curve that upsets the cart. I didn’t watch video but that first pic has more plastic than every trailer home in western Nebraska.
Replacing every few years plus 40-60 mph winds break them down faster here. Ive tried growing geraniums “2500 was most in one year” and than as they need space, you need more plastic. I still have a silo green house frame from that “hobby”
The residuals from plastic leaching all over your produce, again you pick your tomatoes I’ll pick mine.
Edit
No till absolutely. No till is farming with chemicals. It isn’t 100% either it works great at first. Than plants develop some resistance, skips, clogs general mistakes compound that problem and end up plowing it all up and try again.
I’ll put a good harvest pic frommy cousins in Sodak over in the pic place

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ooops. Mornin all.

P.J. I hear ya on the water saving devices.
Where I serviced R.V.'s the city pressure was in the upper 90's pounds pressure. Great for finding plumbing leaks.
My first house the pressure ran about 50 pounds pressure. A low flow shower head did not pin you down to the floor . that's for sure. L.o.l.. A fast drip was more like it.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Read the label, weight, want toast turn toaster on #9-then to #5 then its good to go.
Now being heavy as a brick and one hit another on the head. New term "Bread assault "
20210305_073152.jpg
Wood oven baked
Good folks
Going to bakery this next week and I will pick up a 45 loaves of a large mix order. Plus the 2 dozen cinnamon Palm leaves for the early morning treat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread