THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fat,

This is a short video of Gabe Brown doing organic/regenerative agriculture on a large scale in the Western U.S.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well the good folks are dishing out the hard earned for the option program in Starlink. So for $800 up front and a $150 a month one can have a pretty fast service being satellite based. My buddy's boys signed on the one received his equipment last week. 100+ down 10 up. Meanwhile over the hill I get a romping 8 down 1 up. 30 seconds even a minute to see a photo enlarged on TN.
Oh I'm so jealous really-imagine having those speeds I could listen to music without the reloading of the spinning wheel.........

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jim,

A family we know their adult son had a company and needed high speed internet weekends and holidays when staying at the family big house in the country.

He had some kind of satellite dish installed on a flagpole that beamed his signal about 100 miles away so he managed to link into high speed wifi.

If memory serves me correctly it might have cost him $500/$1000 range one time expense then whatever the high speed service cost him that he beamed into.

Might be worth checking out.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the end, Its like having a bad motorcycle crash with your helmet on, you become an open casket funeral, but your still dead...

Which reminds me....I was once told, by a motorcyclist, that if he had to wear a helmet then I should too! In my car!

I told him I do! I'm just sitting in mine. :angel12:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's good money to be made for organic growers if they do it intensively and have a good system in place.

I'll post up a link for one of the better ones shortly. Here's a video by an upstate NY organic grower if memory serves me correctly he's grossing $350/375k range on 1 & 1/2 acres of land.

NOW.....you got it!!!! All about the almighty buck! :dontknow:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jim,

A family we know their adult son had a company and needed high speed internet weekends and holidays when staying at the family big house in the country.

He had some kind of satellite dish installed on a flagpole that beamed his signal about 100 miles away so he managed to link into high speed wifi.

If memory serves me correctly it might have cost him $500/$1000 range one time expense then whatever the high speed service cost him that he beamed into.

Might be worth checking out.
In sight line and they wanted to put up a tower to obtain that, 80ft. Nope, had an offer for free internet service for putting up a tower on my bluff across from the shop.
Nope.
Well we'll talk to the township.
Good luck with that one.
Well you basically are only a keeper of the land, and you're not going to be around for ever.
On that note I will write a note about this one in my will.
Part of the condition of the will-will be stating that your tower won't be on this property.
Have that one for lunch.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WIF,

This guy would probably make a killing doing conventional farming also. He's a good organizer and smart businessman.

Actually I don't quite get why they charge a premium for organic produce. Think about it zero costs, for fertilizer, insecticides, fungicides, herbicides, etc....They're mostly small scale with most of the work done manually especially the no till crowd.

So they don't have to spend a small fortune on high tech tractors, etc...just a bit more manpower because it's more labor intensive.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snack time......If I cant be on the ocean right now,at least I can eat as if I were :):occasion14::icon_thumright: 011.JPG

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WIF,

This guy would probably make a killing doing conventional farming also. He's a good organizer and smart businessman.

Actually I don't quite get why they charge a premium for organic produce. Think about it zero costs, for fertilizer, insecticides, fungicides, herbicides, etc....They're mostly small scale with most of the work done manually especially the no till crowd.

So they don't have to spend a small fortune on high tech tractors, etc...just a bit more manpower because it's more labor intensive.
Labour's, failure rate, natural fertilizer, natural controls are crazy expensive. Small is more expensive, just a few.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jim,

The way I see it the biggest issue is labour. Try to find people willing to work in farming in the Western countries is next to impossible which is why so many migrant labourers are brought in from other countries.

Mind you our backyard garden is quite manageable for the 2 of us and we don't factor in our labour. If we did it would probably be cheaper to buy organic produce (questionable at best unless you buy straight from the producer like you).

We enjoy the taste of home grown veggies way better and fresher than stuff from the store.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodnight my Tnet friends.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill I just watched the video of 951 an acre. Rye grown here is like Canadian thistle. It is a weed and the tare you take will break you.
Ever hear of a class auction? Around here as a fund raiser for different school activities, like at home coming you can bid and buy the “junior class” than when time comes, May and June, July before harvest, the whole class will walk out a field and cut only the rye plants. One bag for the head, another for stem and roots. There is no market for rye here it is a profit taker it robs moisture and wheat yield.
I gotta move on. I’m sry. I hope I’m explaining my experience doing it. You won’t find a farmer that try’s to poison the earth with chemicals and fertilizers. They always seem to be the unspoken of bad guy.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fat,

No need to apologize not sure if Gabe Brown is harvesting that mix for human consumption or animal fodder.

Maybe drop him a line and ask how he sells his harvest hopefully he'll fill you in.

Bill I just watched the video of 951 an acre. Rye grown here is like Canadian thistle. It is a weed and the tare you take will break you.
Ever hear of a class auction? Around here as a fund raiser for different school activities, like at home coming you can bid and buy the “junior class” than when time comes, May and June, July before harvest, the whole class will walk out a field and cut only the rye plants. One bag for the head, another for stem and roots. There is no market for rye here it is a profit taker it robs moisture and wheat yield.
I gotta move on. I’m sry. I hope I’m explaining my experience doing it. You won’t find a farmer that try’s to poison the earth with chemicals and fertilizers. They always seem to be the unspoken of bad guy.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... There is no market for rye here it is a profit taker it robs moisture and wheat yield. .
A market for rye I would think are the many microbreweries like Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, etc that brew a fine seasonal rye beer. :occasion14:

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
A market for rye I would think are the many microbreweries like Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, etc that brew a fine seasonal rye beer. :occasion14:
The elevators here won’t take it. The brewery wants cleaned product. You just can’t pull in and unload a truck load of bin ran rye.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread