THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
RC,

I agree about the let and let live approach. The squirrels are a nuisance around the garden so we use various netting, etc...to keep them at bay.

They generally feast on one of our neighbors gardens who don't take the adequate precautions and leave ours alone....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Miss my squirrel dog. And squirrel for lunch...
Interesting though I've left them alone around the house. Lots of woods beyond.
When they were persecuted by a former neighbor there were more than they are now in number.
Nature keeps the numbers low as a result of low oak mast years is my guess.
Hawks and domestic cats keep the naive ones weeded out.
That said , there are a few that roam the area.
Bird feeders seem to factor... Who has the best goodies seems to matter.

Always something willing to dine off human efforts at growing things though.
Ya never know , a wayward moose might show up and test your netting as a veil.:laughing7:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bart, if you get any old bottles please show me. I grew up digging bottles. So fun!

I love digging bottles too.....or even diving for them. Hope I find some to show off.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
And folks in Canada:
Canadian Coleman lanterns have devotees. Finding one in the wild down here seems to be a fun event for the finder(s).

I never inquired into shipping rates , but one one forum a guy ships some South.
If I payed attention...I might know if any go North. L.o.l..

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a surprise this morning in the berry patch. I was just there the other day and was seeing what was happening.
Now with the past few rainy days I haven't gone over and checked.
What do I see all the hasps are out in bloom, not a great thing to see with the feeling temps and the wisp of snow.
They're a hardy species as they'll take a -40-50 temps in the winter, I just hope the blossoms will be ok.
The coyote seems to want to mark Max's territory, leaves his dumps along the trail leading up to the sugar bush trails.
Haven't got it on camera yet, seems to be shy.
I'm wondering if its the same one I hit with the hand digger in the upper garden last year. I don't care for the bold predators and might have to find a solution soon.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a surprise this morning in the berry patch. I was just there the other day and was seeing what was happening.
Now with the past few rainy days I haven't gone over and checked.
What do I see all the hasps are out in bloom, not a great thing to see with the feeling temps and the wisp of snow.
They're a hardy species as they'll take a -40-50 temps in the winter, I just hope the blossoms will be ok.
The coyote seems to want to mark Max's territory, leaves his dumps along the trail leading up to the sugar bush trails.
Haven't got it on camera yet, seems to be shy.
I'm wondering if its the same one I hit with the hand digger in the upper garden last year. I don't care for the bold predators and might have to find a solution soon.

That canine marking/pee post can get a coyote in trouble. For trapping.
I've yet to set eyes on one while hunting my property a few years.
I do get trail camera pictures in the wee hours.

Highly adaptable creatures. Quick learners.

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pepperj you just need to get a donkey...like my Jackson. They bond with the other animals you put them with. And then they guard them. They are guard animals. He chased the coyotes out of the sheep at the ranch. Read up on using donkeys as guard animals. It my be the answer to your problem.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shepherdess,

Good advice on the donkey only problem Jim probably doesn't want 2 stubborn critters on the property at the same time....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pepperj you just need to get a donkey...like my Jackson. They bond with the other animals you put them with. And then they guard them. They are guard animals. He chased the coyotes out of the sheep at the ranch. Read up on using donkeys as guard animals. It my be the answer to your problem.
Morning Sheperdess
Kind of know about the donkey and their guarding skills.
We only have chickens here as the cows are kept on another farm.
Not that the topic of getting one hasn't been brought up.
Smart, cute, entertaining they certainly are.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
RC,

I agree about the let and let live approach. The squirrels are a nuisance around the garden so we use various netting, etc...to keep them at bay.

They generally feast on one of our neighbors gardens who don't take the adequate precautions and leave ours alone....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

In the urban it can be a few of this or that-that try for the easy meal.
In the rural it can be a feeding fest for what ever has the 7yr cycle, and it's a problem to try to grow something eat when you are the last one to the table so to speak.
The grow 1/3 more for the little creatures works most of the time-but not always.
Friends have ground cloth netting over their berries-have to go daily to let out the trapped birds-yup I go :icon_scratch:-maybe work on the securing.
Neighbour was up to 75+ chipmunks the other year back, it was a crazy time, but past the cute factor.
The Blue Heron took care of ours last year-did a bang up job of it too.
Cleaned up around the house then went through the bush getting them. 4 or 5 every time it would come for it's daily catching.
The few that are around now are so timid they 're gone at the slightest noise/movement.:laughing7:

Though we find most things are in balance-and if we want grow/raise anything we fence/cover what we want.
Live and let live seems to be the best way-as Mother Nature has a way that we humans just get in the way most times.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Good morning pirates!
I have been busy working on my list. No fishing. It was too windy.
I got all of my crock pieces washed and have managed to make a few matches. It’s like having 10 puzzles at once with all the pieces mixed up. I went to the school of hard knocks on those. Next time I find crock pieces, they will be separated and marked.
I figured out the rock tumbler and currently have broken bottle glass in it. I plan on getting artsy with it. I still have several broken bottles with the pieces all together. I don’t know if I will ever have it in me to restore them or I may just buy little display frames for each bottle.
Mr WD was gracious and used his tractor to move the rocks over to the shed for me. It took four loads. I got all the leveling blocks surrounded and it looks good (I think). He still has to tweak the leveling in the middle, so I have two trailer jacks to hide yet.
The oldest grandson came over and we got to meet his girlfriend, finally. He helped the mister shore up the creek with rocks. I broke out the ATMax and entertained her with dirt fishing.
Pretty good weekend.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WD,

For what it's worth some people make a mosaic table top with broken pieces of bottles and/or pottery. Might be a nice addition for the she shed.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WD,

For what it's worth some people make a mosaic table top with broken pieces of bottles and/or pottery. Might be a nice addition for the she shed.

Good idea Bill
Though to have a little privacy one could use the broken pieces up like this.
9457C535-B8C8-4460-9DEE-20A1DD16D6EC.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions