The Rat is gonna lose to the Sheep!

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
I'm in trouble. I realized that, after searching for nearly an hour at LucySheep's Parents' farm, I had made 23 hits, but they were all wire or scrap iron. Lucy came out to play, and her second hit, within 3 minutes of starting, was a 1919 Wheat! This was the first time she had used the Ace 250, and the first time she had searched, dug, and recovered anything without any help.
Do women have some extra sense that lets them find good stuff so fast? Is it luck? Is it, as they always accuse us men, because we DON"T LISTEN?
I'm glad to finally have a hunting buddy, and I know she'll do great!
Here's her penny. It's soaking in Olive oil now. Too bad PA soil is so acidic.

Attachments

• 1919 wheat1.jpg
    1919 wheat1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 481
  • 1919 wheat1.jpg
    1919 wheat1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 467
  • wheat penny back1.jpg
    wheat penny back1.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 466
Upvote 0

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
RR, yes women have an extra sense & are much luckier than us men. Prepare for defeat, but at least its someone you love who is beating the pants off you! Congrats to LucySheep, that will be a nice penny after a good long soak. Theres more out there, I think you guys have a place to hunt with lots of potential! ;D

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Actually I believe that it is due to them having better hearing on some freqs.
It must be because when mine talks to me, I can't hear what she said. At least that's what she says.<G>

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Man, that is one rough looking penny. Is the soil through all of PA that acidic? I thought I had it bad with fertilizers and the like around here, but it looks like the back is entirely eaten away on that wheat.

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
af1733 said:
Man, that is one rough looking penny. Is the soil through all of PA that acidic? I thought I had it bad with fertilizers and the like around here, but it looks like the back is entirely eaten away on that wheat.

It might not be the actual surface of the coin we're seeing. That crud might lift away after a prolonged soak in oil. If oil doesn't do it within about 6 months to a year, degreasing the penny and soaking in peroxide can work wonders.... as long as the coin itself hasnt been replaced by corrosion, in which case you'll be left with a paper-thin wafer of copper...

Con

May 21, 2006
NJ
Detector(s) used
White's Vision
nice find , I haven't found a wheat yet

O

Omaha Digger

Cool find, I have yet to find a wheat....and yes, it's true....they have better luck or something. Every time I take my novice wife out fishing she kills me by at least 5 to 1. I refuse to take her hunting with me.....or maybe i should-she'd prolly hit a rare million dollar coin.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The answer to your questions is: Yes, Women make better detectorists! That was the question, wasn't it? ;D

Congratulations, Lucysheep. Keep it up! :)

OP
OP
RatRacer

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
Lucysheep says "THANKS!" to all her wellwishers. She's really excited to see what we find on Saturday. She's teasing me, too.
Unfortunately, PA soil tends to be very acid. Wonder if it is from all the coal... I found a 2001 quarter that was nearly decladded, and it couldn't have been buried very long. I think there's still a fair amount of crud on the back of the wheat, but it's definitely corroded.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!............sorry RR... :P

Great find Lucy! ;)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RatRacer said:
Lucysheep says "THANKS!" to all her wellwishers. She's really excited to see what we find on Saturday. She's teasing me, too.
Unfortunately, PA soil tends to be very acid. Wonder if it is from all the coal... I found a 2001 quarter that was nearly decladded, and it couldn't have been buried very long. I think there's still a fair amount of crud on the back of the wheat, but it's definitely corroded.

Nice 19

around here, the Pine Trees seem to cause the Copper to corrode. I would say second in line for cause would be
the Chemicals Used in Farmers Fields.

Newer Coinage Dosn't hold up in any outdoor Condition I know of.
even the sun will do damage to the new sac Dollars

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It better than some of the coins up here....i had to pour CLR on some pennies to tell if there even memorials! Nice finds....

HH
-GC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions