The Rest... Pendleton Crazy Horse Blanket and Other Assorted Goodies!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some more of my better finds for the week. First is a McCoy Smiley Pig (clover) cookie jar with the salt and pepper shakers too, paid $40 for the set, no damages, should be able to get that out of the shakers.

DSC05280.jpg

Included in that pic was a purple slag glass soap dish that I paid $4 for, value $25-$30.

DSC05281.jpg

Also found a vintage Norwegian wool sweater that I got for $2, value $30-$40 maybe.

DSC05285.jpg DSC05286.jpg

This Pendleton Wool blanket is a limited edition and I have not found another like it, so value is unknown but it's got to be worth more than the $20 I paid for it. If anyone can find another one like it please share.

DSC05290.jpg DSC05291.jpg DSC05284.jpg

Last but not least were these chairs that I have 4 of. The colors are different on all 4 chairs. They are made in Denmark and I cannot find another one much less four like them. Paid $20 for the set. If anyone can find another one like it please share.

DSC05288.jpg DSC05289.jpg

I bought some other stuff too. Not pictured are a few pieces of sterling jewelry, a few designer signed costume pieces, some vintage religious items (crosses and jewelry/pins etc.) and a Vermont American drill press stand. It was a good weekend.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes i really like that chair ... I know nothing about it..except that i love that chair also......

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like the chairs were produced by BKS but they are the manufacturer not the designer. Are there any other names or identifiers on them?

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! Those chairs are super cool. Those would look fabulous in the right setting.

They made me think of a purchase we made several months back. My wife spotted a set of 4 sleek, modernistic bar stools at the local flea market.

DSC05272.JPG

These were made in Canada. We paid $50 for the set and sold them on Craigslist for $150 2 weeks later.

I did a little digging on the blanket. Pendleton Woolen Mills currently has some special edition blankets for sale. The one at the following link sells for $314. (http://www.pendleton-usa.com/product/Home-Blankets/Blankets/NATIONAL-PARKS-BLANKETS/COLTER-EDITION-YELLOWSTONE-BLANKET/168569/sc/1839/c/1821/pc/1816.uts). I would think, given the subject matter and the limited edition, that yours would be more valuable than that. Nice find!

Last edited:

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's it Diggs!...I'm coming down for the winter...I may not do any picking but It sounds better than staying in this podunk town. I used to live in West Palm and I know the scenery is better down south this time of year.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Wow, Dig.

Those chairs are jaw dropping. Those, if I had them, would bring a fortune at an antique mall we sell at. They would bring 'make-a-few-Cadillac-payments-and-a-weekend-out-of-town' kind of money.

I don't know a thing about modern or Danish, but they are crazy hot at that mall, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a monster price tag on them.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, nice finds! Yea, you could make an easy $200 on that blanket, Pendleton blankets are a good buy 100% of the time.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like the chairs were produced by BKS but they are the manufacturer not the designer. Are there any other names or identifiers on them?
No, the label is the only identifier. I find a few other pieces by that company but nothing that looks like this. The closest I can find are the marshmallow couches designed by George Nelson. Similar but that's all.

George_Nelson_Marshmallow_Sofa_paa.jpg

Wow! Those chairs are super cool. Those would look fabulous in the right setting.

They made me think of a purchase we made several months back. My wife spotted a set of 4 sleek, modernistic bar stools at the local flea market.

View attachment 897958

These were made in Canada. We paid $50 for the set and sold them on Craigslist for $150 2 weeks later.

I did a little digging on the blanket. Pendleton Woolen Mills currently has some special edition blankets for sale. The one at the following link sells for $314. (Pendleton Woolen Mills: COLTER EDITION YELLOWSTONE BLANKET). I would think, given the subject matter and the limited edition, that yours would be more valuable than that. Nice find!
Nice set of bar stools. The last bar stools I got were a pair of Italian Magis Bombo Designed by Stefano Giovannoni. Wife confiscated them for a while. I eventually got $300 for the pair, paid $10 each from a Cuban guy that told me they were "very expensive," he wasn't lying, lol.

100_5463.jpg

That'd be a nice price for the Pendleton blanket. I'll probably try it at $199.99, see if it gets any bites.

That's it Diggs!...I'm coming down for the winter...I may not do any picking but It sounds better than staying in this podunk town. I used to live in West Palm and I know the scenery is better down south this time of year.
It's a nice place to visit, but it can be very hectic living here. Rush, rush, rush, everbody's always in high gear.

Wow, nice finds! Yea, you could make an easy $200 on that blanket, Pendleton blankets are a good buy 100% of the time.
I had never heard of them before.I learned about them on this site. Someone else found one and posted it. I have a pretty good memory and snatched it up when I saw it. I gladly paid the asking price, wife tried to get it for $15, lol, always the haggler.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, Dig.

Those chairs are jaw dropping. Those, if I had them, would bring a fortune at an antique mall we sell at. They would bring 'make-a-few-Cadillac-payments-and-a-weekend-out-of-town' kind of money.

I don't know a thing about modern or Danish, but they are crazy hot at that mall, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a monster price tag on them.
The person I bought them from got them used about 25 years ago. They aren't in perfect condition. One has a seam going loose and another has a few small pinholes or something in one of the arms. Couple of the legs show some wear at the bottoms. Still a nice unique set. I don't know what I should try to get for them though. I will probably be selling them to a dealer since I don't really have an outlet for furniture. I guess I could list them on CL and see what happens. I think they would sell very well at the Lincoln Road Antique market down in South Beach but it's $185 just to rent a space there and I don't have the time for something like that anyway. Just wish I could find out who designed them. They are cool as heck.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
howdy...what size is that pendleton?

from the photo..the blanket has no damage? no moths? most of the blankets out of Pendleton are marked beaver state, since the late 1970's...the authentication tag has me believing it is late 1960's..

I tried to search the pendleton blanket site...no luck...but..still working on it...
opinion: the blanket was a special order by the non profit listed on the tag...limited edition...as noted...you have # 13 of 500..
the Yellowstone commemorative is listed as $300.plus...

the Yellowstone commemorative is listed here.
http://www.pendleton-usa.com/category/Home-Blankets/Blankets/1821/pc/1816.uts

Last edited:
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
howdy...what size is that pendleton?

from the photo..the blanket has no damage? no moths? most of the blankets out of Pendleton are marked beaver state, since the late 1970's...the authentication tag has me believing it is 1960's...perhaps a bit earlier...

I tried to search the pendleton blanket site...no luck...but..still working on it...

the Yellowstone commemorative is listed here.
Pendleton Woolen Mills: Blankets
Thanks for the link. I wonder if all 500 of the blankets actually sold? It is approx 72" x 54", like a throw sized blanket. It is in excellent shape, except for a few pieces of dead grass that may be stuck on it from being on the ground at the sale, lol. It is dated 1948- June 3, 1988, so I would assume 1988 is a good date for it. 40 year anniversary. I now know that Korczak began work on the memorial in 1948 and I found this concerning June 3, 1988-

Blocking-out Crazy Horse's face begins, starting to remove the protective rock left by Korczak. Comprehensive measurement continues on the head and face. Weathered "Slow Man at Work" scaffold in front of face removed. Major new mt. road built. June 3rd S. D. Gov. George S. Mickelson and Ruth Ziolkowski set off Memorial's 40th anniversary blast; when he was seven years old, he had helped his father, Gov. George T. Mickelson, set off the first blast on Crazy Horse.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice blanket...I also noticed that the Yellowstone blanket has the same type of tags...so the later date may be more accurate...1988+...still a nice find...I buy all the pendletons I can find...
I was reading up on the non profit memorial site today...

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had never heard of them before.I learned about them on this site. Someone else found one and posted it. I have a pretty good memory and snatched it up when I saw it. I gladly paid the asking price, wife tried to get it for $15, lol, always the haggler.

Pretty much anything with the pendleton name is a good bet. Women's suits and skirts are a dime a dozen, but if you see any Wool mens shirts, Hats, bags, Jackets, Blankets etc those are always money. You can make an easy $20-$50 each on shirts, depending on the size, condition, cut, etc. A couple things to keep in mind, stay away from white tags, only buy the blue tagged pendleton stuff. Also, don't bother with anything that isn't wool. Lastly, don't bother with pendleton Lobo, it was a brief thing they did in the 80's that wasn't that interesting. But yea, Pendleton, Filson, Woolrich, all those heritage brands can bring good money.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutly love the chair! I think I would have to find a place for them in my house if they were mine!!

Just curious Baltimore, why only buy blue tags and not the white? Are the white tagged Pendleton newer? etc.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious Baltimore, why only buy blue tags and not the white? Are the white tagged Pendleton newer? etc.

I've only ever seen white tags on items that to not have much resale value. Women's and men's overcoats, women's suit coats, skirts, etc. Basically what people want is the classic pendleton stuff: The blankets, the coats and vests with the native american/southwestern patterns, the classic plaid work shirts (like the "board shirt", made famous by the beach boys). I think the white tags were usually on more formal, and fairly boring stuff like tan and grey tweed coats and the like. I honestly don't know what the difference is exactly, I think white tags mean womens but I'm not totally sure. but I do know that all the highly desirable stuff has blue tags.

Fun fact, if the label is blue and does not have a woolmark, it was made pre-1964. If you find one of these, you have at least a $50 item. Also large sizes are good because they did not make many of them.

Here's a picture reference.

images-1.jpg
Pendleton Shirt label 1964-1992

images-2.jpg
White tag, don't bother

images.jpg
Pre 1964, awesome job if you find one of these, I've only found 3 in the wild.

imgres.jpg
New label, still valuable, 1992-present.

Honestly, if anyone finds any nice pendleton shirts they should just PM me, I'd buy them for the right price.

Last edited:

sgtrmd

Tenderfoot
Nov 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Baltimore....I have a question about your Pendleton Guide.

I was at an estate sale and saw a Pendleton Wool Suit Skirt Combo with a white tag similar to the one below. According to another website, it says that it is from the 60's. Does this fall into the pass category for white tags?

_medium_vintagefashionguild_43874.jpg

This is the website....

Vintage Fashion Guild : Label Resource : Pendleton

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread