French Creek hunter

Dec 8, 2011
Charleston,WV
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5id, Minelab E-Trac.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sink Hole "My own book"

Before I begin the copy and paste of my story from my word pad. I would like to say that advise would be nice on what should happen,or taken out or even added to this first part. Just a reminder that this is not the complete story and I am still tweaking and writing it.
Hope you enjoy your sneak peak to my book.

The Sink Hole By; Daniel G Henline.

In a small town north of the Appalachian mountain lies this tiny little hole, about the radius of a small golf ball. The water that travels from the suburbs and the large hills when it rains, drops into this hole and makes it larger with each passing rainfall. I, myself, have never seen this hole or even knew of its existence, but soon everyone would know of it's existence and will fear from it. This is my story.

In the summer, the small town of Charleston, West Virginia, is thriving with vacationers from around the world, many drive the streets of the town and shop at the town's mall. Some even adventure further away and go skiing, or hiking. I on the other hand, have to drive to work, or maybe it should be driving whilst doing my work ,or maybe part of the time walking while I work. I should just keep this as a thought and forget I even mentioned this, but anyhow, I am a pizza delivery man. Sad I know, but I’m only in collage, plus I’m only 20 years of age and short. Yeah, I said it, short with black hair and blue eyes, I feel like I could only become a small salesman or a fast food worker. I never worked hard at work,my parents have always been rich beyond belief and I have never had much help from them when it comes to financial problems. I have a nice car that my parents bought me when I graduated high school,just a big Sedans mainly. Just right to deliver large shipments of pizza boxes or orders of meat and cheese.
I am driving in the rain with my wiper blades nearly of full tilt,I can barely see a thing on the road.
I listen intently to the early show of Bob & Tom in the morning,a fun and comedic talk radio show, with details of funny news and things about day to day life that you wouldn't usually see or hear on regular television. I listen to them laugh loudly and even chuckle to myself occasionally,sometimes I get irritated when they interrupt a guest speaker,but in other words I still listen to them after 20 years.
I run my car over the bridge coming into town,suddenly the rain begins to go to it's highest down poor and I crank the nob to make the blades go faster across my windshield. I have to lean over the steering wheel , peering and squinting. I suddenly can't even hear the radio over the sound of the rain,I see lightning and hear thunder. I land off of the bridge with a thud and keep driving. I see ahead what appears to be standing water about 6 inches deep. I slam on my breaks and stop close to the standing water,a car pulls up behind me and stops. I haven't,of coarse, noticed the car yet,I look out the window and decide I would wait for the rain to either subside, or to calm down a bit. I suddenly hear a loud blow from a car horn that comes from behind. I look into my rear view mirror,the back window clears and then forms a sheet of water again. In the clearing I can see a big, black truck that has big tires and towers over my own car,I mutter to myself, "another West Virginia hick". I push my finger on the button that lets the drivers side window down,I stick my hand out in the cold rain and wave my hand out of the window. The truck reared up and passed me,go through the water and suddenly disappears from sight. I come to a conclusion that if a hickey truck can make it through this water,than so can I.
I turn the radio off and put the car into drive,I prepare myself and drive slowly. I drive about a few yards from where it was safe and go into the standing water. The water gets deeper and deeper ,I suddenly see swirls and realize that I am floating, or the water is passing me at a fast pace. I keep trying a drive and suddenly hit a bump and the front of the car drops into something.
I can't go forwards or backwards,I am stuck in some rut or something,the water moves around me and disappears. I whispered "What in the blood hell is going on!?" It seemed,from my point of view. That the water would keep going and suddenly disappears,but this is absurd,how can water just move along and never appear on the other side of my car? It came it me,a drain cap must have came off and moved away. Just one of my front tires has gotten stuck in the drainage hole and all I need to do is drive backwards,or even forwards, and I would be to work in no time! I decide to go forward,what the heck would happen? Maybe my rims would get bent or my shocks ruined,but who cared. With my parents with so much money and I ,myself, paying for most of the dumb things I have done,I can pay for it.
I rev-up my car and can't move,I say in disgust. Stupid front wheel drive Sedans, can't even get out of a stupid little pot hole. I change gears to all-wheel-drive,I hit the gas,hard. I go forward and I black out.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: The Sink Hole "My own book"

I, I, I , I I I I

Sorry, but there are way too many 'I' s there to make interesting reading.. :dontknow: You need to practice on the story, reword without all the I's, so back to work. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
F

French Creek hunter

Dec 8, 2011
Charleston,WV
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5id, Minelab E-Trac.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

True,this is going to be a disappearing character,thanks.

spartacus53 said:
I, I, I , I I I I

Sorry, but there are way too many 'I' s there to make interesting reading.. :dontknow: You need to practice on the story, reword without all the I's, so back to work. :thumbsup:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NO, you just need to rethink..

Examples from 2nd paragraph

I am driving - Change to Driving

sometimes I get irritated - change to - sometimes getting irritated

Off to work, have fun on the edit.. :thumbsup:

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yea I dont like to be offensive but there are way too much I. Get rid of the I I I I stuff and I will finish the story.

wayne_sa

Jun 30, 2009
san antonio

Hi FC hunter
I like the way you begin your story. You should re-write your 1st paragraph using subdued, sinister words. Words that nudge your reader to the edge of the sinkhole.

Double the length of your opening paragraph. Make it read like Hemingway or Steinbeck. Make it be exactly right :whip2:

Outline your chapter and write it quickly. It doesn't have to be your 1st chapter necessarily.

Repost your opening paragraph and the first 5 paragraphs from your chapter.

Then axe for input.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions