the skunk streak grows to 88.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
My skunk streak has been sitting at 87 for quite some time now, since I stopped ordering boxes after confirming that Phoenix (And only Phoenix so far, luckily for you guys and gals. :icon_thumleft: ) has that new machine that discriminates anything that is not the desired alloy of coin (Clad. thus silver gets "rejected", not culled, but same result.) However, when I go to banks to pick up other coins, I ALWAYS ask for ALL halves they happen to have. I may not order boxes, but i want them to still think of me as THE guy who ALWAYS wants ALL halves. It has worked wonders for me for the past year, and I have fun with other denominations (Mostly pennies) while trying ot find a few halves too.

Today I went to 15 banks and asked for $100 to $200 of quarters at each one. Got $2,400 in quarters which I'lll search tonight, and look for 2012 quarters (they are pretty rare, like the 2009 nickel and dimes. I am going ot save two rolls of each one out so far. We'll see if the other ones are as rare as the first ones, they they are lower mintage numbers than any quarter since the 50s!) I brought my canvas bag, went to the merchant window (that's where they almost ALWAYS have the halves anyway. Other tellers sell them to the merchant if they hold them for amore than a day or so) and picked up a few halves here and there. W ent to one bank and they had a box. SOmeone ordered it and dind't show up. Since I want to keep my rep up as the halves guy, I took it all. Sealed box, with sealed Brinks rolls, so definitely a enw box.

A skunk. Of course.

I expected it to be, as the new machine if pretty good at taking all the silver out. So - with this unasked for but taken box, I am now up to 88 skunks in a row. At least I'm doing okay wtih other denominations. :-) And I already HIT my goal of 100 40%ers for the year, when i got 6 solid rolls a few months back. Over 130 for the year already. And doing well on pennies, and okay with dimes plus getting some 2011 and 2012 quarters I still needed.

I'll let EVERYONE know when I get a box that is not a skunk. :-) UNtil then ... the count goes on. And no boxes actually on order still. :unhappysmiley:

Upvote 0

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, my gut tells me this is BS. The only way is if it's a small bank or credit union. If it was a major bank or supplier other people would be going on huge skunk streaks...

Ill be visiting some family in Phoenix in a few weeks and will have boxes on order. We shall see.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Pizza is pretty good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread