The Treasure Gods have smiled down on me again!!

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went for a walkabout along the beach and checked my usual treasure spots along the Treasure Coast this morning. Started picking through the shells and found some worm rock had been washed up after this weeks weather had stirred things up a bit. I flipped the worm rock over and the Treasure Gods struck again! It is medium green Columbian Muzo Mine Emerald, approx. 2.5 carats, and has the usual nice barrel shape to it. Although I am excited to find it, it came up in the same place as all of my previous 1715 Fleet emeralds so it wasn't really a surprise. However, it was nice to find it without having to sift for hours this time! Hope y'all like it! I will be showing it at the McClarty Museum in Sebastian later today. For those that may be interested, I have decided to make it available for private sale. You may email me at [email protected] if you would like to discuss the artifact further. All the best... Phips

Attachments

• 1715Emerald5.jpg
    1715Emerald5.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 2,471

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holey moley...what state are you in???? what a awesome find

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bootybay... I am beginning to think i'm on the emerald "isle" matey!! The beaches be colored with 'em... there's an easy clue in that statement for those seeking these little leprechauns!! Good Luck...

Billinstuart... i'll show you mine if you show me yours... uhhh... favorite spot that is... I mean uhhhh... for treasure hunting dang it!!

And to all, thanks for the comments and compliments. Now where's me bottle o' rum and me fyne wench... 'er bonny lass... sorry love. ::) :-* ;D

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Phips gave you the answer, if you know your 1715 fleet history, especially the modern names that salvors have given to the wreck locations

The beaches be colored with 'em... there's an easy clue in that statement for those seeking these little leprechauns!! Good Luck...

The beaches be colored with 'em...

The colored be beaches with them

::)

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The 1715 fleet sank on the E. coast of FL.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
MD Dog said:
ooooohhhh oooohhhh I know I know. Pick Me Pick me !

Is it the Gold Coast ? ;D

Lucky bastage!!! ;D Awesome find man. Thanks for teasing...I mean...sharing this with us ;)

Pcola

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
As much as I'd love to have Phips divulge his sweet spot (treasure spot, you pervert) I don't blame him for NOT tipping his hand, and wouldn't expect him to. He was fortunate enough to have someone tell him in confidence about the location..more power to him. It DOES encourage me to spend more time at the beach, even though they have been destroyed by renourishment. Thanks for the carat..err..carrot.

gitchi9753

Aug 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
JW pulse 8,whites classic surfmaster 6000di,garrett,minelab ex 2
Great find wish i could walk the beach, seeing your find almost makes me want to go out in the freezing snow and work my way around the drift ice ALMOST

congrats

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey, it's a big beach. Besides, I don't think Phips would mind, esp. since we both know better. ;)

But he did give everyone a clue so to help them along.......

beaches be colored

colored be beaches

colored beaches

COLORED BEACH

;D ;D ;D ;D

pssssst ........the books Gold, Galleons & Archaeology and Pieces of Eight were just being politically correct by claiming the name was for "the gold coins" found there or for the "brightly colored seashells." .....fact is, it was the beach that'colored people' were forced to use, rather than those closer to Ft Pierce

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I guess that was a bit too easy as far as the clue was concerned. You are right about the area Tom... now the rest is up to y'all. And if you're wondering why I would even give out a clue as to the area where I am finding the "goodies", well I was given the info through someone else's generousity and have done quite well with it. But part of receiving something like that is also giving back something... so now you know the area... its up to you to narrow it down. Good luck... hope to see someone else posting a nice emerald on here soon. Phips

Oh and CapnZ... to me, its priceless because that's just cause I found it! But if you would like to know intrinsic value on an emerald like this one, you would have to take into consideration its color, clarity, and carat weight... then add in its historic value (which usually amounts to only what someone else is willing to pay for it taking into consideration the items rarity and the efforts involved with recovering it). I would say that this piece would sell somewhere in the $500 - $700 range... just an educated guess... hehe!! :o ;)

scrapdoggie

Nov 23, 2007
Deland Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Pro-Kellyco
PhipsFolly said:
Well I guess that was a bit too easy as far as the clue was concerned. You are right about the area Tom... now the rest is up to y'all. And if you're wondering why I would even give out a clue to the area where I am finding the "goodies", well I was given the info by someone else and have done quite well with it. But part of recieving something like that is also giving back something... so now you know the area... its up to you to narrow it down. Good luck... hope to see someone else posting a nice emerald on here soon. Phips
so how much is a beautiful gem like that sell.you must make out alright with 2+ carats.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The price range of emeralds is very large, ranging from under a hundred dollars per carat to many thousands of dollars per carat, depending primarily on color, but also on brilliance and clarity.

Large, brilliant clear emeralds are very rare and expensive, in fact any clear emerald is quite scarce, regardless of size.
In 2000, the auction house Christies sold a 10 carat emerald for over $1 million, equal to over $100,000 per carat.

Many people seem to believe that the darker the emerald the better, just as many seem to believe the opposite. Neither of these opinions is correct. The truth lies between the two extremes. The most desirable emeralds are generally those with an intense grassy
green color, plenty of sparkle and free of any inclusions. Some experts say that a dark velvety green is the most valuable. Ultimately which is "best" is a subjective matter, and personal preference is important.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
When I worked "Emerald City" on the Atocha site, we were getting $3,500 per carat. They were also from the Muzo mine but we didn't find one single 'barrel' shaped berol (pun intended). Its kind of curious, Harold Holden, Bob Weller and John Brandon worked the "colored beach" wreck for over 20 years and never found one single emerald.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Pete,

I had heard or read about Mel (and others) looking for emeralds on one of the sites. I don't think its strange at all!

We all know they were being smuggled on the ships!

Robert

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You are absolutely right Bob. Emeralds were smuggled as contraband without the tax (the Kings royal fifth) paid on this. But who onboard the Niveas (colored beach wreck) could afford to get such riches? And how come the professional salvors who worked this area for 20 years never found any?

Gary Drayton

Dec 28, 2007
Fort Lauderdale Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its really nice of you to tell us where to go and find emeralds , I might rush there in a few months time , it sounds like a great tip off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions