The Truth About Dimes : THEY SUCK

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Everyone, just wanted to let you know that dimes have been putting me in the neighborhood of skunksville.

7 Dunbar boxes- 1 AG dime over the past five weeks
Brinks 5 boxes - 1 AG dime
Unknown boxes (likely loomis) 8 boxes, 2 dimes.

DIMES SUCK

They are not as good as people claim, and with more and more people hunting they will continue to get worse. IF you have any stories of how bad dimes have been for you, please post them here. I've had better averages with quarters even.... PLEASE Do yourself a favor and up the amount of halves you can get instead of dwelling in the fictional realm of dimes

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are expecting to hit the dimes and make a profit, good luck. It's all about the hunt. I average one silver per $130 over the last five years, and have been through over $150,000 in dimes. Like Mark1982 mentioned, it's location, location, location.

Yes, location plays a big part in it I believe too. Community, retired people and such, and I think the more coin machines you have in your area the less likely the silver is to make it to the carriers to get in the boxes being shipped out. HH, Maverick.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There just to small for me.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are expecting to hit the dimes and make a profit, good luck. It's all about the hunt. I average one silver per $130 over the last five years, and have been through over $150,000 in dimes. Like Mark1982 mentioned, it's location, location, location.

yes it is! People complain about dimes because its not worth there time, and thats fine , but that does not mean there are not people who do well with dimes. I can go out buy 4 boxes of dimes search them and dump them all without driving more than 10 miles from my house.There is 15 TD banks within 10 miles of me, and another 12 within 20 miles of me. Location plays a big part in this hobby. The more banks near you the more you can search and turnover without killing your pocket with gas money, and time. HH

eolson3

Apr 11, 2011
I dono, I average at least 2-3 a box. 5-7 not uncommon. had as high as 19. Much better than I have had in halves recently, 8 box skunk streak.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OnARoll said:
LMAO nearly going blind is right, even with a nice loop your still cross eyed at the end of the night oh yeah and your fingers feel like hell.

That's what she said?

Maybe we should just start a "that's what she said" thread. :)

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've always done well with dimes. Yeah...you're not going to strike it big like you can with halves....but they're fun to search when your finding them =)

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found 17 rosies this week in 20 boxes mixed CWR/MWR. I like them fine

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I returned $1000 in dimes and got shorted $545! It counted $227 as cents and did not count $340 at all. They said they will credit me in 2 weeks but I will never use one of those machines for dimes again... only the rail-based machines which are plentiful in my area, fortunately.

I like dimes because I can just run them through the Ryedale with the #22 feed wheel... can't do that with quarters or halves, though the Ryedale can sort nickels too.

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
I get a full roll of silver dimes every week. However, I go through 12-14K each week to find them. I have gone over a year with these results. I have also had weeks where I have found 200+ dimes. Was fortunate enough to receive someone's collection with multiple boxes of 75+ silvers.

Cards n Coins did very well on the dimes as well with many collection box scores. Nick was like me in that when the halves went south, he branched out to find silver wherever it could be found. In speaking with him, we both agreed that a steady source is better than a big score with dozens of skunks in between with the halves.

The only slow down I had was a recent spot here and there where they were sending out solid 2012 boxes.

The people who say, "up your half order" obviously are not in my area. The only thing upping my half boxes would do is give me half the boxes to look through and zero return at the end of the week.

Long time members may recall my streak of 100 boxes of skunks last year. So members that post about their streaks of 10,20 or 30 in a row should be thankful you are not in the Des Moines area.

Best to you
MU

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread