They can't make EV's Illegal soon enough !

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand EVs have more torque, which means they wear the roads more for the same mile driven as a gas car. Yet gas car drivers pax tax in the gas price to maintain the roads, where Telsa riders drive on our roads scot free.

I also read a statistic where it takes about 100,000 miles driven for an EV to break even environmentally, meaning when you consider the generation costs, the mining costs of the batteries, and so forth, a gas car in the first 100K miles is greener. And, by 100K miles, you maybe looking at a new $10-15K battery, and that cost is not factored in.

Well, I can't afford one even if I wanted one, so the whole thing is moot to me. I also like to drive great distances at a time, and the range anxiety and waiting at the "gas" station for 15-20 minutes for it to charge would be a problem for me. I'm into being efficient, so getting thu the "gas" station in 2 or 3 minutes is important. I know people who have them, and they say this is no big deal -- you just read or hang in the rest stop and check your phone. But, if I am on a road trip, I want to get away from those things, not be forced to do them.

I read that it is impossible to drive an EV from Dallas to Denver due to lack of charging stations. I don't know if it is still true, but it is probably true somewhere. I just don't want to deal with it.

I do believe government intervention in some economies to get them moving forward is a good idea. Some of these include space explotation, the Internet, and vaccine development. I also believe climate change is a real problem, and that has been proven to my satisfaction, if you consider the fact that people are literally losing their homes due to rising water levels in places like the San Blas and Maldive Islands. But government intervention in the car market seems wrong-headed, given that the benefits have not been proven, at least to my satisfaction. But, just as I now have a diswasher that doesn't get the dishes clean like my old one, and a toilet that doesn't flush as well as my old one, I know the government will force me to by one of these golf carts eventually. I just resent that my tax dollars are being used to find this bad idea, as the viability of EVs, and most products, should be croudsourced to the free market.

Another thing to consider -- these things will all be connected to the Internet. That offers up a host of problems -- I'm not gonna get into them, but use your imagination.

One final point, and alot of people don't realise this -- the first EV was deployed in either 1893 or 1897, IIRC. It was a bad idea then due to battery issues, and it seems like a bad idea now, otherwise it would have caught on much sooner and without government assistance.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I understand EVs have more torque, which means they wear the roads more for the same mile driven as a gas car. Yet gas car drivers pax tax in the gas price to maintain the roads, where Telsa riders drive on our roads scot free.

I also read a statistic where it takes about 100,000 miles driven for an EV to break even environmentally, meaning when you consider the generation costs, the mining costs of the batteries, and so forth, a gas car in the first 100K miles is greener. And, by 100K miles, you maybe looking at a new $10-15K battery, and that cost is not factored in.

Well, I can't afford one even if I wanted one, so the whole thing is moot to me. I also like to drive great distances at a time, and the range anxiety and waiting at the "gas" station for 15-20 minutes for it to charge would be a problem for me. I'm into being efficient, so getting thu the "gas" station in 2 or 3 minutes is important. I know people who have them, and they say this is no big deal -- you just read or hang in the rest stop and check your phone. But, if I am on a road trip, I want to get away from those things, not be forced to do them.

I read that it is impossible to drive an EV from Dallas to Denver due to lack of charging stations. I don't know if it is still true, but it is probably true somewhere. I just don't want to deal with it.

I do believe government intervention in some economies to get them moving forward is a good idea. Some of these include space explotation, the Internet, and vaccine development. I also believe climate change is a real problem, and that has been proven to my satisfaction, if you consider the fact that people are literally losing their homes due to rising water levels in places like the San Blas and Maldive Islands. But government intervention in the car market seems wrong-headed, given that the benefits have not been proven, at least to my satisfaction. But, just as I now have a diswasher that doesn't get the dishes clean like my old one, and a toilet that doesn't flush as well as my old one, I know the government will force me to by one of these golf carts eventually. I just resent that my tax dollars are being used to find this bad idea, as the viability of EVs, and most products, should be croudsourced to the free market.

Another thing to consider -- these things will all be connected to the Internet. That offers up a host of problems -- I'm not gonna get into them, but use your imagination.

One final point, and alot of people don't realise this -- the first EV was deployed in either 1893 or 1897, IIRC. It was a bad idea then due to battery issues, and it seems like a bad idea now, otherwise it would have caught on much sooner and without government assistance.
One just has to love the dire warnings and the apocalyptic events if we don't drive an EV tomorrow.

Just had to read a little AlGore perditions this AM to lighten my mood.

So I looked up this lovely archipelago and sure enough the dire warnings were well written.

In the long run, sea level rise would amount to 2–3 m (7–10 ft) over the next 2000 years if warming amounts to 1.5 °C (2.7 °F). It would be 19–22 metres (62–72 ft) if warming peaks at 5 °C (9.0 °F).

Now that's a real longtime from now and me or any of us won't be around then.
Though the real facts are also written in the article.

"The global average sea level has risen about 250 millimetres (9.8 in) since 1880."

Gee a tiny sea wall is a heck of a lot cheaper than replacing every ice with a EV.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Hate Roundabouts !

Every time I am in this one I feel I Need more Heads & Eyes
to not get Hit by someone not Yielding !

000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg

I'm waiting for This Here !

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

mjb Mike

Feb 10, 2021
southern mayland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one thing they havnt thought through is once cars hit 7 or 8 years old no one is going to want them due to the high cost of replacing batteies.your going to have miles and miles of 7 or 8 year cars ending up junked .batteries and the car cant be just crushed and recycled.they are expensive to dispose of

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
...try running one in a deep freeze... best of luck.

Although nothing wrong with the hybrid concept, Battery for going to work, gas for longer hauls.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Chinese bought the U.S. patent for nuclear batteries and is now producing batteries that last 50 years without a charge. They don't run down, they don't burn or explode.

Changes the whole power game. Kind of wish our government hadn't hidden this technology for so long (since 1977). Really wonder why the government thought it was better to sell it to the Chinese instead of allowing U.S. citizens to enjoy endless power? :icon_scratch:

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Chinese bought the U.S. patent for nuclear batteries and is now producing batteries that last 50 years without a charge. They don't run down, they don't burn or explode.

Changes the whole power game. Kind of wish our government hadn't hidden this technology for so long (since 1977). Really wonder why the government thought it was better to sell it to the Chinese instead of allowing U.S. citizens to enjoy endless power? :icon_scratch:
Maybe the sale paid off some of the U.S. debt to China?

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
for well over 20 years i have been bitchin every time a light stopped me and the flow of 100 other cars to let 5 go.
Let me tell you....
There have been some that have begun development of "smart" light systems... but are getting little traction and support ... wHY ? ... some entities don't want a more efficient system due to loss of revenue is all i can think.
But we are beyond that now... this can get very deep.
The cost to all of us is greater than most realize... it is a problem of epic stupidity... the costs trickle down not only in fuel costs and crappy pollution... but even down to the wear and tear on not only our personal vehicles.... but every transport... bus... taxi... LEO vehicles ... again... all down the line... like i said... we can get really deeper in if we look at it.

When it gets down to the bottom of it...
IT IS... THE... biggest waste and MAJOR cause of environmental decline on the planet.
IMO.

Your comment about the traffic lights resonate with a lot of people around the world.

I always remember an episode on the Simpsons.

An engineer boasting "I designed the roads? The next scene was homer silent with his eye twitching then smacking the crap out of engineer in a split second.

That one scene resonated with so so many people all over world. Who been stuck in traffic every day from poorly designed roads wanting to do the same thing.

Crow

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HUGE NEWS! Toyota CEO Shocking WARNING TO SHUT DOWN EVs!​

HUGE NEWS! Ford & GM SHOCKED As They CAN’T Sell EVs!​

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's why ELECTRIC CARS will EVentually be ILLEGAL in EVERY Country!​

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
In Europe/UK they have roundabouts or traffic circles everything just keeps flowing smoothly.
North America is way behind in designing simple efficient intersections major flow routes.

View attachment 2126744
They do work if brain dead drivers know how to use them. They are good for many intersection. however really big intersections with high traffic volume in peak hour traffic they are nightmare. I have lived with them for 30 odd years. now idiots down under decided to put traffic lights on them.

Hence vision of homers hitting that engineer again

Crow
:tongue3:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So we all don't sound like a bunch of luddites, how about we say that the current EV technology has a long way to go before it can be considered useful, safe and sustainable. :laughing7:
I will buy one....... when i can power it with a common DeWalt 20V battery from my cordless drill.

Until then... they are just prototypes.

I remember the cell phone suitcases... thats where they are at now :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread