Things that I hunt for at garage sales / thrift stores

jason4kstate

Jun 23, 2007
So after my 1st season garage saleing this is what I have learned...

1. Any General Electric wood grain alarm/radio clock..typically I can find these for .50-$1 and sell them for $15 and up

2. RPG Games that do not require a key. Never ever buy anything without the key.

3. Old anniversary Hallmark ornaments with the date. I found a "Our First Anniversary" ornament for .25 and sold it for $30 BIN within an hour on ebay

4. Signed costume jewelry. If its signed Monet, Trifari, Sarah Coventry, etc and it has plastic gems or pearls they are almost always $10 and up. Most garage sales I go to that have these usually sell them in a bag or by the handful. It's also a really good way to find random sterling and gold pieces.

BTW does anyone else think its crazy when people just set there jewelry box out and let people rummage through it? I have been to 4 seperate garage sales where I have found several hundred dollars worth of gold and silver (not including the pieces that have more than melt value) that are literally just sitting out.

5. Retro clocks....my bad habit is that I keep most of them.

6. 35mm lenses and cameras..especially the Japanese made models

7. Name brand watches..I mostly find Fossil watches but also be careful for Relic which is a Fossil owned brand

8. Blue glass that was used for silver mustard/salt pot liners..ie Blue Glass Liner Silver Salt Sauce Mustard Cellar Pot 5 1cm x 2 5cm x 1 8cm 28 | eBay

I bought a silver mustard pot and found that the glass was just as valuable as the container.

peavey5000

Greenie
Dec 7, 2011
Bradford,PA
Detector(s) used
AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Turtle, I do the same as you do, And ya gotta love finding them silver rimmed glasses when you walk around the corner and you spot them....here are a couple more things to add to the list.

Vintage cameras and lenses
Fire king milk glass, or vintage coffee cups
fire king pie plates (blue sapphire)
wheel chair cushions
vintage kitchen wall clocks
vintage record players
always look at the art, cause ya never know
vintage toys, he man is a good seller smurfs also, even the plush stuffed animals sometimes
Speakers
And if you get lucky and come across a boom box radio...grab it
and the list goes on....have fun all and happy hunting

peavey5000

Greenie
Dec 7, 2011
Bradford,PA
Detector(s) used
AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[quote Vintage Corning percolators - I have 8 of them, you can't sell them on ebay so if anyone is interested I sell them on my website /quote]

I was wondering why you can't sell them?

Thanks,
Bill

Bill try selling the Pyrex glass coffee stuff it moves much better

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
I guess I will be keeping an eye out for wee forest folk in the future.

Caspela building toys from 70s through 90s look good too.

Ursus

Apr 3, 2009
Ohio
Reeds for musical instruments. I ran across a whole lot of them a couple years ago at a thrift store and did not buy. After checking on them when I got home, I quickly hopped in the car to go back and buy them. You know how this story ended ... All gone.

But I did find a single box of them last week for 1.49. They sold in a week for 19.98.

Attachments

• image-3644534245.jpg
    image-3644534245.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 108

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if someone has said this but binoculars. They can usually be bought for $5-$10. Most decent binoculars sell for $30-$100 with really nice pairs selling for hundreds. Just sold a pair of Nikon Action 10x50 for $78.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you happen to live in or adjacent to N.J. - anything at all from Olympic Park Amusement Park in Irvington N.J.. It's now defunct and Irvington is on tough times, but amusement park collectors go nuts for it. Ride tickets, entry tickets, skee ball ball tickets and other ephemera bring about 100.00. More substantial pieces bring a lot more. I've sold dozens of pieces (All paper) that were free or 10 cents - 1.00.

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips guys. I got a scrabble game today to try, along with some cell phones and other things.

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really hope that TNeters will NOT post to Facebook. Keep it on Tnet. Let's not ruin garage sale hunting like what happened to CRHing.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureHunters, you have started a thread for this already. Bump that thread when you feel it necessary, but please don't start cross posting it all over the GS forum.

Better yet, you could always put the link in your signature.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureHunters, you have started a thread for this already. Bump that thread when you feel it necessary, but please don't start cross posting it all over the GS forum.

Better yet, you could always put the link in your signature.

Agreed. It's a bit spammy.

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Incredible, thanks for the tip. I've seen dozens of "collectible" Starbucks items that I immediately wrote off as junk. Will check them out next time.

Kind of depressing how lots of intricately handcrafted items a century + old are worth peanuts relative to stuff like this, but if that's what people are willing to pay...

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And within 24 hours, I have picked up 3 big Starbucks "City Skyline" mugs at $2 each, should do at least $15 shipped each. Ha!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions