55.2 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
UPDATE!!

I sent out the coin to an expert in variety coins last Friday. He has examined it closely and sent me an email regarding whether it's real or a counterfeit.

DRUMROLL PLEASE......................

The coin is:

AUTHENTIC!!!!!!!!!

One happy camper here!!:icon_sunny:

I didn't doubt for a moment. I presume you are still going to send it out to be graded and attributed? Are you planning on selling it or will it be stashed away with a collection?

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't doubt for a moment. I presume you are still going to send it out to be graded and attributed? Are you planning on selling it or will it be stashed away with a collection?
I'm planning on sending it out to be slabbed. This is directly from the Email that was sent to me.
This coin is genuine. I have been able to verify enough of the markers to tell that it is a genuine example of 1955P-1DO-001.

The only problem with it is that the damage will keep it out of a respectable graded holder. My suggestion would be to submit it to PCGS through an authorized dealer and have it put into a PCGS "Genuine" holder. This will protect the coin and will ascertain its authenticity with anyone who might later question the coin. This service will cost approximately $30.

Overall value of this item is around $1400. The grade of the coin without damage would be EF40. With the damage, it should be valued at VF money plus a little for the detail. If I had this on the market I don't think I would have any trouble selling it at that price.

Congratulations on a nice find!

C. D. Daughtrey
owner

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Try slabbing it with ANACS. They will not reject it, PCGS could due to damage.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Try slabbing it with ANACS. They will not reject it, PCGS could due to damage.

This would be my recommendation also. ANACS will grade and attribute the coin where PCGS will only get you a "Genuine" slab due to the damage. The PCGS Genuine slab won't increase the value any more than the ANACS slab.

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would consider sending it to NGC or ANACS. Amazing find!!!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
J... I mean MM2, congrats on the find of a lifetime!!! You just accomplished the near-impossible getting one of the most known error coin out there, and found it in a penny roll... I can imagine the joy you feel right now, especially that the coin is appraised at $1,400!! I know you, you'll keep it in your personal collection as I would do the same, send that thing out to be graded, at least authentic! let's now hope that this doesn't go viral, honestly, i would vote you a banner right now, but most of us don't want any more publicity then we already have, can't wait to see the slabbed coin!

hh
buff

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Hey buddy, WOW>... what an absolutely amazing find... probably a find of a lifetime honestly. It sure looks real to me. However, I have read and heard that this error among others is up there with the very highest of chinese counterfeits, and suppossedly they are getting GOOD. I am even told that they Chinese are making very real looking NGC and PCGS holders and putting the "fake" coins in there. So anyways, I also have the latest cherry pickers guide and in there it talks about a die marker that genuine specimans should have... To be honest, I have tried looking for it on this coin that dealers around me have, and to my untrained eye, I havent been able to pick it out yet. If you would like, I can scan and send you a copy of that page in the cherry pickers guide, where it talks about this coin... Based on the prices i am seeing right now, I would have no problems saying this coin would fetch over a thousand bucks if you ever wanted to sell..... What an amazing find.

Chris.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
well........... hahaha nevermind.. I only read the first page of posts... Good for you, what an amazing CRH'ing acheivement.... AWESOME

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back from being slabbed.

Attachments

• DSCN4356.JPG
    DSCN4356.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 392
  • DSCN4359.JPG
    DSCN4359.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 168

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Bummer that it came back as ungradeable. How does that effect its value?

I think it's considered damaged just like a cleaned coin would be, which throws it below F2 I believe, but i am not a expert grader or professional on slabbed coins.

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ungradable because of the damage. It has EF details but has a market grade of VF. Still, easily a $1200 coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread