Thinking of going Old school

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my last post I mentioned how I needed another XLT, the more I read the more I am considering a unit like a pro6000, I remembered using my XLT and in the cold it was slow, in the sun the screen got dark, it's not that the new machines are so much better I think it was more "ease of use" that companies seem to be aiming for. I also think the more ease of use and the more we discrimnate the less depth we get, correct? I'm kinda new so tell me if I am wrong. The only problem I see with a "manual" type unit is that I may have to learn much more about how a detector actually works instead of turn on and go like I had with the XLT.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is true that the more disc we dial in limits depth on all the brands. The newer screens are much better at various temps. The "manual detectors" you mention don't have screens to fool us an we have to go by our hearing. It just depends on what you like to use on a detector and what Options you feel you need. Myself now I am leaning toward very light weight power houses like the Tejon over my DFX when I hunt land.

RWJR13

Apr 25, 2007
MESQUITE, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT & Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
....Digdig...You had to learn the XLT....It's a turn on and go but also you know you can change it and how and what each function does and why.... That knowledge will go along way with a DFX or V3i......

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT All Pro,Fisher F-19,Blistool V-5,Sovereign XS
I currently use an xl-pro with tone mod and wouldn't have anything else! It's just too easy to hear the tone,glance at the analog meter and decide to dig or not.I've had digital machines and the only feature that I really liked was the tone id which I now have on my analog detector.As far as programing,I have my pro ready while walking from the car to the site I'm detecting.DBULL

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes people get dependent on those digital numbers just look at the posts........ Oh my god my detector is reading 39 on a dime it should read 38 what should i do send it in for repairs........see what i mean.. They just go looney about those numbers..

Attachments

• road20construction20sigqf1.jpg
    road20construction20sigqf1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 569
  • road20construction20sigqf1.jpg
    road20construction20sigqf1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 555

nowwhat

Jun 1, 2006
CENTRAL ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic lll
advice for newbie's about old school

I like to keep it simple, I've been using a White classic SL lll, (2000) for years, nothing fancy to be sure, but it hunts beach or dry land, of course it took practice to learn to "listen" to what it tells me. I'm basically a coin shooter. I paid $300 new for it, my son hunts with a White Pro 6000 ($ 560) that he does well with, but IMO the simpler machines are just more fun, The Garrett Ace 250 is a case in point, for $250 or less, your good to go. White also has excellent inexpensive units.
Of course it's all about time & money, if all you can afford is a lower price unit, then buy it, jump in, and who knows, you might be the next local star, just don't let the "fancy" units make you believe they are the answer, their not, their more convenient ? that's all, but their also more expensive, bulky, heavy, and some eat batteries like a kid going thru a box of cereal.
My advice ? pick up a lower priced White or Garrett, ( or other quality brand ) learn your unit, get the experience, you won't lose much on trade later if you buy a quality brand and decide later you want to move up ? but don't be surprised if your memories of your "cheap" unit are some of your best memories
good hunting & keep it fun. Take a kid with you, ( good diggers) thats where simpler is better.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MXT is an easy detector to use and learn and as far as depth I would put it up against any detector out there. I know mine can get dimes at 10"+ with the D2 coil, I feel I'm not missing to much with the MXT. The analog audio is great for hearing differences in the tone on coins as well, when you get used to what to listen for.

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second the MXT. I also have the D2 coil on my MXT and it is a great combination. The MXT is way faster than the XLT ever was on recovery. I did not like the spectrum series as they are real good machines you had to go real slow when searching. The screen does not fade out in the sun either and is large and easy to see also plus, you do not have to go into the menu to make a change to a setting then rebalance it, you just turn a knob or flip a switch and go on with your detecting. The 6000 is a legend in the coinshooting world and is a great machine but with the gain boost on the MXT it can go deeper than the 6000 ever could. There is not a backlite on the MXT but I never used that on my spectrum to begin with. Also the battery life with the MXT is something like 40 hours on a set of AA batteries and more with a set of headphones, where as the XLT may have got like 14-16 hours at best. The 6000 is no longer made either and I believe the XLT was fazed out also. The coils available from Whites for the MXT are bar to none as they have a good selection of concentric and also DD styled ones. Plus they are interchangeable with the M6, DFX and also in some cases the V3. You may want to consider an M6 which is like an MXT but without the gold program. Take a look around on the classifieds and save a few bucks by getting a good used one. Now, if you know where to pick up a 6000 at a bargain price then go for it and have fun but for about 400.00(which is about what a decent 6000 pro XL sells for used) I would go get a good used MXT or M6 instead. Just my 2 cents worth, Tim

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 6000 is pretty easy to learn. It has marks for factory recomendations and the only thing you need to learn for sure is ground balancing. Little tweeks of a couple knobs and you're good to go. You can also get different size coils for it. I have a 5", 8", and a 12" for mine.

VDI numbers are just a sign of the times. Like the old brick cell phones to the new smart phones. Once you get the newer, it's hard to go back to the older.
I like the VDI on my Vision and I like it's lightweightness compared to my 6000, but I still love that single monotone hum and beep and the old needle ticking back and forth on good signals.
Heck, a detector with a needle was an advancement from my original TR machine. :thumbsup:

I new exactly where that needle was suppose to be on silver...not any different than fancy digital readouts....and depth??? In my opinion, just as good.

Al

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro & Spectra V3i / White's E Series 9000 & Sunray Pro Golds HP's / Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT/ White's digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DIGDIG said:
In my last post I mentioned how I needed another XLT, the more I read the more I am considering a unit like a pro6000, I remembered using my XLT and in the cold it was slow, in the sun the screen got dark, it's not that the new machines are so much better I think it was more "ease of use" that companies seem to be aiming for. I also think the more ease of use and the more we discriminate the less depth we get, correct? I'm kinda new so tell me if I am wrong. The only problem I see with a "manual" type unit is that I may have to learn much more about how a detector actually works instead of turn on and go like I had with the XLT.

I've been detecting since '74 and was using a detector that had only two knobs and speaker. Later, I purchased a 5000/D with just a couple of more knobs to turn and an intensity meter. In those day's we were taught to use our ears to discriminate which target was a good one or thrash. Only our ears gave the best discriminators at the time.

Of course technology has taken all of us to 4G droids, texting, digital this and that, including detectors. I try to keep up with technology the best I can. I too have a Spectra V3 (Vision) which has all the bells and whistles which I hunt with. Even with the V3 I still use my ears to determine to dig or not, then I glance down at the screen to see the VDI number(s). I also hunt with my 6000/di professional (old blue box) and XL pro which have the old analog meter. I rotate thru each one on a monthly basis. . . Just can't seem to let go of the older analog machines. By the way, my 6000/di & XL Pro can really pull coins out at 8" + and quarters at 10" +. There no slouch by any means.

It's hard for a newbie that are accustomed to the digital detectors (turn on 'n go) to go back and try the "older detectors". :help: I hear comments from the new guys in our club saying that "that's way too many knobs to use" OR " I get frustrated in trying to do a G. B. and setting all this controls". But hey, try your best in what you like. Yes, I would give it a try! :icon_thumright:

Good Luck,

TC-NM

Attachments

• DSCF0047.jpg
    DSCF0047.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 306
  • xlpro overall.jpg
    xlpro overall.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 319
  • xl pro meter.jpg
    xl pro meter.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 315