Third Coin at Antietam......Back to Back .....1861 Seated Half Dime.....

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unbelievable Folk's.....Last weekend I found an 1833 Capped Bust Half Dime from my field's at Sharpsburg,today I was feeling a little sick (cough,cough) and deciced to go to the freshly cut Cornfield that's given up some excellent find's in the past.....From this particular field I managed a pack stud,a pack "triangle" and three "buck's".....Not too shabby.....Went back to the truck to "refresh" and decided to hit another field,didn't take me 5 min.'s and 3 hit's to come across a solid +78,first thing that came to my mind was "beer can".....Not So!!!!!...It might be Mangled but it's mine ;D The bottom half of the reverse is black.....But again,It's Mine.....Unbelievable.Thank's Everyone.... :thumbsup:

Attachments

• PA140010.JPG
    PA140010.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,428
  • PA140014.JPG
    PA140014.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,417
  • PA140015.JPG
    PA140015.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,414
  • PA140016.JPG
    PA140016.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 1,421
Upvote 0
OP
OP
civilman1

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jerry.....Great pic's :thumbsup: every time I step onto the field's I think about what went on,you can read the report's and study the map's but it is never really the same,The fenceline's have pretty much have held there own but it's still different in some way......Again,I'm very fortunate to hunt such a place.From a report I read there was a "soldier" hanging over a fence rail at the "Sunken Road " (Bloody Lane) with 56 bullet hole's in him,first one probably did the trick.Thank's for your interest and HH!!

Golden1

Bronze Member
May 2, 2008
Pittsfield ma
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM IV,Whites M-6
civilman1 said:
Jerry.....Great pic's :thumbsup: every time I step onto the field's I think about what went on,you can read the report's and study the map's but it is never really the same,The fenceline's have pretty much have held there own but it's still different in some way......Again,I'm very fortunate to hunt such a place.From a report I read there was a "soldier" hanging over a fence rail at the "Sunken Road " (Bloody Lane) with 56 bullet hole's in him,first one probably did the trick.Thank's for your interest and HH!!
There's something Ghostly about stepping into thoes bloody fields and thinking about what happend there but
finding a coin with the date 1861! Had to be a rush i would love to feel!!!!!!!!!
Again congrats on a super find :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

G1

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have come a long way Civilman1.............Glad to see your finding some really great coins and Relics!

Keep on Digging ..........my friend! John

OP
OP
civilman1

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Seeker said:
You have come a long way Civilman1.............Glad to see your finding some really great coins and Relics!

Thank's for the reply John....Early on I was inspired by you and Mona to name a couple,so you can claim a little bit of this Buddy :thumbsup: Take Care John. Joe

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
civilman1 said:
The Seeker said:

Thank's for the reply John....Early on I was inspired by you and Mona to name a couple,so you can claim a little bit of this Buddy :thumbsup: Take Care John. Joe

Aww...shucks, Civil. 8)

You are doing great, though I haven't commented much I have noticed some really nice finds. I've been such a lurker lately.

Nice coin, nice pictures! :icon_sunny:

trixster

Nov 4, 2007
Mount Savage Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thats cool I live just up the road ( well kinda ) i am in cumberland md i am still VERY much an amatuer though all I have found so far is clad coins ( alittle frustrating but i guess ya have to start somewhere ) . Well I found one wheatie awhile back so I guess that counts as something cool :-\ . Hoping to find some silver soon !

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
I love the half dimes and trimes, maybe someday.. This would be a regular congratulatory post about the 3 outstanding coins except for the "context".

I recently bought a coffee table book about battles that changed history. Antietam was in there, of course. The unbelievable human toll, the hell of the battlefield.. I think about this a lot. I don't think I'd ever part with that dinged half dime dated the year the CW started. I think every time I picked it up, I might talk to its former owners / the universe.

Thanks for the finds and the topic.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Very Cool. 8) Those coins are so small. They probably are very easy to loose. It's interesting how the 3 center also has a little ding. To me dings are better than wear or oxidization. ;D

Bob

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GO ON BUDDY!!!!! Your on fire!! congrats on great digs Cman! Your the civil KING around our area :icon_king:

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A super find Civil :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Congrats on a skillful hunt my friend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions