This could happen to you!

konnon6

Feb 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
homemade/whites DFX/MinlabGP3000/Garret 250
Well it all started with a large check I deposited in my checking account( sold one of my cars) I have a girl friend thats a teller at my bank. she called me up and asked what
did wrong?She told me how all my bank records were siezed and my account was frozen and a notice to all deposits were to cleared with the bank manager first.That got my atention! I talked with the bank manager over the phone to make an apointment to see her.She smiled and said I can't tell you vary much,but you are under investagation.
Now I was Pissed and said for what?she smiled and said I'm sorry I can't say.Well can I still use my account?Yes! ok OK thanks and left.I am a law bidding citizen for the most part.( besides those unpaid tickets for parking in a national forrest) and don't have alot of money! So what was going on?I asked a good friend at the sheriffs department.he didn't have a clue as to what was going on.But I can run you records and let you know!
he called a hour latter and said no you have a clean record.I told him about what happened at the bank.He said he would look into it.Never herd back from him for a week.Then a neighbor came by and said some people from the D.A,s office have been asking Questions about what time I leave and come back to my house and what I drive
and how many cars I have?Who my friends are what they look like?What my personality is like?My friend at the sheriffs deparment called me back and said ( well I can't tell you much- but you are under investagation.)well from who? I cant really say.Do you know why?No!By now I'm scared Sh$%^#*%$& what did I do?I asked my girl freind what she thought?She didn't know eather.By that time my mail was allways about a day late.
And showed signs of being opened ( letters the flap was not sealed back and dye on
the envolopes that shows up under UV light)Strange cars parked up the street with
people there for hours.Now I admitt I did sell some junk gold to a jewler-2 onces
but I gave him my drivers license and a picture I.D. and paid the taxes on it.But that
Couldn't be what they were looking at me for?But I do remember asking him if he ever
bought large gold bars and if so what was invloved?I was just curious! I have herd other people ask that same question! now for about a month I thought what did I do to get so much attention?My neighbor called me up on the phone and all but acussed me of selling drugs and they didn't want my kind in there neighborhood! I said look youv'e known me for 28 years do you think I would be that kind of person?No but everybody
around here has been asked Qusetions about you.I know and I don't know why yet.
But you can be sure I'll find out! I have a dog I keep inside when I leave to go someplace and at night.He would start barking at about 2am and look at the door
I looked outside.no one out there, But i did see a big hand print on the hood of my car the next day.I could tell from the condensation the next morning.And on my front door a week later a advertisement from the locale cable company was put in between the door and the frame.No one else got one in the neighborhood.I noticed that gray car with fedarel plates on it up the street( I was Pissed) so I walked up to it a knocked on the window and asked him what he wanted. And he said non of your business.And to move along.I stood in front of his car and wrote his license plate down.The next day I called my frind at the sheriffs and told him what was happening and could he help?
He told me to come in and we can talk adout this.That night my dog barked for hours all night long.I looked outside and saw nothing but when I got up the next morning my side garage door was open( I keep it locked) and things had been moved around and put back.And you could tell the grass around the house had been walked in.The next day I walked in to the sheriffs station and met my friend and he said lets talk in here
he said I have to ask you some questions that you may want to talk with an attorney
first.Well can I stop if I feell I need one? yes. ok ask.Did I come into some money
recently?How do you exsplain the large amont of money in your checking account?
I sold my car!Do you have the lic and vin number to it? yes! Do you have a recient of sale? yes! what was this about some gold you sold? It was scrap gold I had from rings
old fillings and gold foil and some gold contacts on a motor.Why did you melt it down?
I was trying to make a ring for my girlfriend but It didn't work!Oh I see.So why were you asking about gold bars? I just wanted to know?Now_ _ _ _ this sets up red flags
So what are you doing with all this money?I lost my job and I'm pay off some bills
and living on it,till I get a new job!OK well I understand.You didn't find any gold bars
did you?No But if I did I wouldn't tell anybody or buy anything.Fair enough!So are we still on for this Saturday?Ya and thanks for the help!A month later I found a penny on my girlfreinds frount tire but hey it was a wheat penny!All the rest has stopped!
And my tax refund came back.

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Homeland Security's new rules maybe. Can read your mail, e-mails, and most anything else with no warrant. Govt. Paranoia. I'd personally trust you with my gold bars if I had any.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
That really is bad. I feel for you. Law abiding citizens that get treated like this and all the while the real crooks, smugglers,drug sellers,and whatnots go around free as a bird with nobody looking at them.
Was the amount of the check for the sold car over 10 grand?? I was told by a CPA, that any amount over that is like a red flag to investigate. Who,when and where questions about it.

Ain't life grand???

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im guessing it was more the gold bar thing than the cash deposit. Maybe some gold bars were stolen+ and they were trying to track them down. So, they were looking for anyone selling melted down gold. They ask around, find out you asked about selling gold bars when you sold your melted down gold, then you deposit a large check. If gold bars were missing, you would be a very good suspect based on those three things.

Hate that it happened to you though.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stormtrooper154 said:
When did it become illegal to own or even make gold bars?

1933 (by F.D.Roosevelt), but it was repealed in 1974 (by G.Ford). I don't think it ever barred jewelry or "rare and unusual coins", but operating an unlicensed gold smelting operation may also be raising a few eyebrows.

Any cash transaction at a bank over $10K is reported to the IRS. You probably scored a couple "hits" from various sources with all these occurances and "The Computer" spit you out as a person of interest.

To screw with your mail they'd need a warrant. That part is probably just paranoia.

http://cmi-gold-silver.com/gold-confiscation-1933.html

Hey, at least thay ain't drinking coffee and munchin doughnuts. Be glad some field work is still being done.

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Konnon: Scary Scenerio! Just shows that one has to keep their mouth closed nowdays! Big Brother is Everywhere! I hope you pass the word regarding that Jeweler tho! He obviously can't be trusted! Glad you survived ok!

HH Joe

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes, what a mess. :o
I hope you're are o.k. with your friends & neighbors again.
I only have a few wheat pennies and a couple of Tootsietoys, so hopefully I am safe. :D
Thanks for sharing that nightmare with us.
-MM-

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I say sue the police department for defamation of character and violation of your 4th amendment rights. The patriot act only goes so far, and must show a direct link and causal connection to "terrorism". Go see a local attorney. PLEASE.

If you're in RI, give me a call. This is a case I would HAPPILY take on, any day of the year

steve

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Stormtrooper154 said:
When did it become illegal to own or even make gold bars?

1933 (by F.D.Roosevelt), but it was repealed in 1974 (by G.Ford). I don't think it ever barred jewelry or "rare and unusual coins", but operating an unlicensed gold smelting operation may also be raising a few eyebrows.

I am assuming here, but I am thinking his story was post-1974 when owning gold was perfectly legal.

OP
OP
K

konnon6

Feb 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
homemade/whites DFX/MinlabGP3000/Garret 250
Good try but since then. I found out any pawn shop or jewely or place that would buy
or transact a gold sale in California of 3 thousand dollars or more must fill out a report
if they don't they can lose there business license and risk high fines on top of that>
Now lets say you had a lagitamate gold bar. Most gold dealers won't buy it unless it has a reputable assay stamp and paper work.And most don't want the hassel anyway.They can buy from large places like monex.Now lets say you bought a house with rare silver coins
and the coins had a face value of ten bucks but the real value was 1000.000 think
you could pay the taxs on ten bucks(WRONG!) diamonds (WRONG!) A picaso painting
(WRONG!) the goverment wants there cut too! Many have tryed! Gold is a scamers trade.
I remember a story about the gold krugrade that they hollowed out the center filled it full of lead and replated it.they got away with it till someone weighed it.Most gold isn't pure
gold anyway!Gold tells a story and can be traced to were it came from.Or who minted it.
by what it has in it.

NH Bob

Jan 22, 2007
NH
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
They should worry about the $12,000,000,000.00 in cash the Government lost shipping it to Iraq. How do you lose 30 tons of cash?

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NH Bob said:
They should worry about the $12,000,000,000.00 in cash the Government lost shipping it to Iraq. How do you lose 30 tons of cash?

Perhaps ole.Grubstake found it? Has anyone heard from him lately? ??? ;D ;D ;D
-MM-

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You reputation has taken a severe hit in your neighborhood. You won't be trusted by anybody. I would get a lawyer and see about getting something done about it if possible. That's what I would do if it were me though. Good luck to you and hang in there.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
I dont know what to say. I was thinkin of adding something really smart a$$ to this thread like "the drop is tonight" "or the cash is under the big fish" or Hmmm how many niegbors are we talkin about, but since this thread is likley being monitered by our taxpayer Dollars I reckon we otta Not go there, Wow what a Story. :o ;D
Come to think of it, what exactly Does Konnnan6 mean anyway. Hmmmmmm

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is really sad but it is the way the gov has gotten. To be investagated but not have the rights to know by who, or over what, to be under survalance, have your proterty searched in secret, THATS NOT THE UNITED STATES, you would expect that in old russia or a communist country least they could do is issue an apoligy to all those neighbors they questioned about you.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is what you do. Get someone to make you up a whole bunch of fake gold bars, or spray pain bricks gold. Set a big sign in front of your yard and a few fake gold bars. The sign should read Gold bars for FREE!

T

treasurejack

Things are getting all messed up in this country, whatever happen to "innocent until proven guilty?" Anymore, it seems like it's, "Your guilty until you prove you're innocent." Sad, very, very, sad.

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I think it was in one of KvM TH Manuals where he told about a Neighborhood Busybody being at his house when he came home from MD. It seems he found a quanity of Confederate Currency and flashed it quickly in front of her. She couldn't wait to spread the word that he Found a Kings Ransom! Then all the Politicians, Lawyers, Lawmen, etc were at his door wanting his Find! So, after a while, he showed them his haul. There were a lot of Pizzed People in his Town! :D

Joe ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread