Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sold another pendant. The guy wants to return it, it was $80. Reason being he does not need it anymore. And asked if I would pay for the return shipping. I said no sorry if you don't need it, you can return it to me. Complete BS. 5 returns since Christmas. At least the first two I sold for the same amount I sold them for originally however I doubled the shipping cost. I don't need it anymore. That's nice that means you probably just bought it for a party something pretty to wear to an antique show or something.

if he doesn't need it tell to put it on ebay

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point. I thought the buyer would have to have a better reason to return an item. The last time I sold on ebay the buyer could not return an item because they decided they did not need it anymore.

It depends on what you set your return policy to in the listing. If you set it to 'No Returns', then the only way they can return the item is if the item is not as described. My standard policy is 'No Returns' - I don't want to share in their buyer's remorse.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on what you set your return policy to in the listing. If you set it to 'No Returns', then the only way they can return the item is if the item is not as described. My standard policy is 'No Returns' - I don't want to share in their buyer's remorse.

I have it set for 14 days after the sale. I have had it that way for years. No one's ever return anything till this year. Maybe twice a year. But this last couple weeks has been ridiculous.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, if you accept returns then they don't need a valid reason for returning it. However, they are responsible for the return shipping unless your return policy states otherwise or they open a "SNAD" case against you. You can also state in your return policy that you have a restocking fee if you'd like. The worst part of eBay's return process is that buyers don't have to get a tracking number on most returned items so "we" are taking them at their word that they actually shipped the item back and they can still file a case against you for their money back just by saying they returned it. From eBay-

• You can ask us to step in and help if the seller doesn't issue a refund within 6 business days of receiving the returned item, or within 6 business days of the estimated delivery date for the returned item if no tracking is used. You have 10 business days to ask us to step in and help after the seller's time to issue a refund has passed.

• If a seller isn't using eBay hassle-free returns, you can ask us to step in and help 3 business days after you request a return, if the seller doesn't respond to your return request.

Returning an item

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009

That's true. The key point is they can still return it if the item is not as described OR if it's counterfeit/fake......& if the buyer says it's either one more often than not ebay will agree.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
buyers are often dishonest regardless of what you set your return policy at. Mine is "no returns".. I had a WWII Samurai sword returned for being bent. It was NOT bent when it left here and the box was undamaged. When I pointed it out to Ebay they reversed their decision to refund him. It's my honest opinion that the buyer purposely bent it in order to try to claim it was not as described.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold another pendant. The guy wants to return it, it was $80. Reason being he does not need it anymore. And asked if I would pay for the return shipping. I said no sorry if you don't need it, you can return it to me. Complete BS. 5 returns since Christmas. At least the first two I sold for the same amount I sold them for originally however I doubled the shipping cost. I don't need it anymore. That's nice that means you probably just bought it for a party something pretty to wear to an antique show or something.

If they were outside of 14 days you could have said, I don't need it anymore either.

I could see items like jewelry and clothes having a slightly higher return rate. but this is getting out of control.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Its been a rough 4 weeks for returns for me too! I think folks were "renting" my items for holiday parties also! A pair of gold earrings (claimed they were fake!) which were not fake and I just scrapped. A gold bracelet they did not like. And a $750 Sterling Silver Lot that the buyer refused to pay customs fees(France) and made a paypal claim. That $750 dispute sent my account into a tailspin since I did NOT still have that amount sitting in that account! With 3 sudden returns, my return percentage is now over 5% and all my funds are held for 21 days after sale by Paypal! I'm like a new seller now and have $$ tied up in Paypal until February!

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I think if you have a no returns policy, people are going to just say it wasn't as described. I let people return for any reason, but I refund all the money except for shipping if they had free shipping. Ebay is OK with that, because it is in my listing. The only problem is I forgot to add in ebay fees on that.

I'm dealing with an idiot in England who wants ME to pay the shipping and customs. Bull. I told her point blank free shipping is to the global center. I finally agreed to do free shipping of she by passes the global shipping program, but she doesn't write back, but once a day.

BTW, regarding return tracking ... if they use hassle free, then that has tracking. I had an issue where the buyer said she took it, but the package was never scanned. It finally showed up after a while, but they were going to close the case in my favor because she didn't have a receipt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread