THIS SHOULD GET YOUR ATTENTION IF YOURE IN SOUTHERN ARIZONA

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
THIS SHOULD GET YOUR ATTENTION IF YOU'RE IN SOUTHERN ARIZONA

This big mountain lion was shot recently in the San Pedro River Area. The big cat weighed 225 pounds. This area is just east of the Catalina / Rincon mountain ranges east of Tucson, Arizona. If this big lion does not have you looking over your shoulder then this will catch your attention below as these big cats have a huge range that they travel within prospecting areas.

biglion.jpg

Arizona Game and Fish has confirmed that Jaguars have moved into southern Arizona from Mexico. This big cat was treed by a lion hunter in Cochise County in southern Arizona. Loin hunter Donnie Fenn and his 10 year old daughter were out and about when his hound dogs had treed a large Jaguar. Currently AG&F have many cameras in undisclosed areas in the Santa Rita mountain range monitoring the movement of these large cats. The Santa Rita Mountains are just south of Tucson, Arizona. AG&F has many photos but would not release them as the surrounding areas would show just where these cats are being sighted.

jagr.jpg

Upvote 0

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just read about that colorado cougar. That is amazing. Also I brought this up in the other forum about mountain lions in tennessee, that I never go hunting whether it is MDing or animal hunting I always bring my hand gun. I live in Iowa near some tributaries of the Missiouri river and there is alot of talk of cougars moving into the state via the waterways. When ever I go outside now I carry just incase. I am not saying if I just saw one I would kill it but the gun is there as a safety measure just incase it wanted to attack. I am a proponant of letting lions and other animals that were once in Iowa back to Iowa. The Dnr wont allow elk to become established because of fear of chronic waste disease. All of the elk killed so far have come up negative for CWD. Iowa does not have a law against killing animals that they do not have listed as an Iowa species like cougars, elk, bear and moose. The list was made after Iowa had eleminated all of these animals from the state.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kugar, have you ever met Dave Carlson Home Page I play poker with him and his wife at the Legion Post in Yarnell.

I have not Terry,been a few years since I have made it down.There are some of the best in the world there!!!He sounds like my kind of guy!!Not great with people/great with dogs!!!
I have been wanting to ask you if you know Johnny Thorpe?He is kind of a "hero",of mine....of sorts(we have led very similar lives)he was a famous trapper and treasure hunter from New York,and Arizona like your self

Last edited:

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know these animals are extremely dangerous, but boy I hate to see them shot. Big cats are perfectly engineered hunters and are just absolutely beautiful - esp that jag!! And yes I wouldn't think twice about shooting one in a second if I was in danger from one of them. I'm not like the crazy bear guy up in Alaska who was eaten by the bears!! I always hear about possible sightings of MLs here in New England. Keep those great cat pics coming.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This cat weighed 188
DSCF5072_zps87a882ef.jpg

are you following why I doubt the stated weight yet?

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one of my favorite pics of a mountain lion that was caught on a trail cam with a deer in its mouth. This pic circulated for a while with dozens of diffrent locations attached. It is a real pic and it is in south Texas.

Attachments

• deer-management-mountain-lion-kills-buck-07.jpg
    deer-management-mountain-lion-kills-buck-07.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 905

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There might be fudging on the weight of these animals but there's no doubt that they are BIG! Enjoyed the thread. TTC

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There might be fudging on the weight of these animals but there's no doubt that they are BIG! Enjoyed the thread. TTC

...try and hold down a 8 lb house cat..............

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to give a 8 pound house cat a bath once.
That was an adventure.
The only reason I didn't get hurt is because I was wearing a pair of elbow length industrial stucco gloves.
Don't wash cats without um.
He was all over the place.
I had to watch my face because he was trying for it.
He did not like bathing.:goldpan:

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Kuger I hope you do not place any credibility in Snopes as this is run by Mom and Pop from their home and they have had many issues on telling the truth. Their credibility is a joke. As for the BIG lion, the lion had been eating cattle on a ranch in the San Pedro area. The lion hunter lost two of his dogs in treeing the cat.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger I hope you do not place any credibility in Snopes as this is run by Mom and Pop from their home and they have had many issues on telling the truth. Their credibility is a joke. As for the BIG lion, the lion had been eating cattle on a ranch in the San Pedro area. The lion hunter lost two of his dogs in treeing the cat.

....I go more on my 35 years controlling depredating lions on CATTLE,sheep,goats etc,a long with hunting them professionally for study and guiding for sport experience than anything....Snopes is right in this case(hey,its under 200 lbs like you said)...but here nor there,I have stated my stance with reasons....that cat does not weigh 225 lbs :thumbsup:

a quick post note/question....why is it that you can give several references from several sources and a person will discredit all from one? :icon_scratch:

Last edited:
OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This cat weighed 188
DSCF5072_zps87a882ef.jpg

are you following why I doubt the stated weight yet?

Two entirely different poses of which says very little as one lion is being held up and the other lion is straddling a log. I was the messenger of a photo and was told what the lion weighed, whether you or anyone else believes the weight is your choice, personally I don’t care. The thread was to bring attention to those that are out and about in southern Arizona. I have hunted all my life and have seen many cats. I was lucky to be able to watched through my Zeiss 15X60 binoculars in unit 36b a lion take down a Coues Buck.

Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes there are large lions everywhere throughout the Western US,but in all reality there is very little you can do if one wants you....they attack from the back and you wont know what hit you.Also I have worked a couple human fatalities and the cats were younger 80lb cats in almost every occurrence....healthy too

EvoQ

Greenie
Nov 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me just interject some info here about this 200 lb weight issue. Have any of you ever dead lifted a 200 lb man or woman for that matter..lol..a dead lift of that much weight is a tall feat for even a very strong man. I am a 200 lb strong man and once had to lift and carry a drunk friend girl to the car and then pick her back up to carry her inside. That my friends was a challenge and this girl barely weighed 100 lbs. With her arms and legs just flaying all about because she was so passed out drunk she was very hard to pick up. A dead animal would be the same thing, having to pick up that long and animal dead like that.

If you read the Original Article from the NY Times it states the Jaguar was estimated at 200lbs and NOT the Mnt Lion....I just don't believe the 200+ lb Mnt Lion Weights.....

But never the less such beautiful creatures and also the information about Jaguars in the USA, that is news to me but believable for sure. hate to see such Predators killed off, we need them to keep the deer, elk populations healthy. Just my $.02

Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are exactly right but no cats are being killed off they are controlled properly through hunting in most states unlike Cali where more are killed through ddepredation than would be if hunted

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have not Terry,been a few years since I have made it down.There are some of the best in the world there!!!He sounds like my kind of guy!!Not great with people/great with dogs!!!
I have been wanting to ask you if you know Johnny Thorpe?He is kind of a "hero",of mine....of sorts(we have led very similar lives)he was a famous trapper and treasure hunter from New York,and Arizona like your self

No, I don't know him. Tell us more!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...try and hold down a 8 lb house cat..............
I TRIED one day! How about teensey weensey kittens.... maybe 6 weeks old... 4 of them? They were born up under an eave on the house (FL) roof. I went up there and stuck an ungloved hand in the space. They turned my right hand into hamburger in an INSTANT! And I'll bet they never saw a human. All instint. No, sir.... I'll leave an AZ cat alone and far away (if possible). TTC

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread