This Video Shows Some Of The Reasons Why I Swing A Tesoro Vaquero Metal Detector

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
True, in all my detecting hours in the field, i have never encountered a board full of nails laying on the ground with a coin in the middle of it.

Come with me over to the woods on the West side of Harlem in Manhattan. You'll never be able to make the above statement again. :laughing7:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, in all my detecting hours in the field, i have never encountered a board full of nails laying on the ground with a coin in the middle of it.

Exactly, if they were laying around like that you wouldn't need no stinking detector I can see them.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have probably tested 8-10 machines using Montes NBT and I find that the ones that do well at that don't necessarily do the best at finding deep targets next to a nail in the real world. Tesoros do remarkably well on this test as well as the gold bug pro and f-19. The etrac and CTX are 2 of the worst on the NBT but the best at the end of the day at putting goodies in hand.

Last edited:

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Exactly, if they were laying around like that you wouldn't need no stinking detector I can see them.

I think we all know what the nail board test is for, it's a great indicator of how the machine will see buried goodies amongst the trash.

Last edited:

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have probably tested 8-10 machines using Montes NBT and I find that the ones that do well at that don't necessarily do the best at finding deep targets next to a nail in the real world. Tesoros do remarkably well on this test as well as the gold bug pro and f-19. The etrac and CTX are 2 of the worst on the NBT but the best at the end of the day at putting goodies in hand.

That's odd, because in just the two years that I have owned and used the Tesoro Golden umax, I am astonished by the number of times I pulled a nail out of a 4 or 5 inch whole, only to find the dime or quarter that set the machine off in the first place. The golden saw that coin despite the iron object being right next to it, over it, or under it. I think the nail board test just demonstrates in an articulated way, just how good the Tesoro is at finding the good stuff amidst the trash.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's odd, because in just the two years that I have owned and used the Tesoro Golden umax, I am astonished by the number of times I pulled a nail out of a 4 or 5 inch whole, only to find the dime or quarter that set the machine off in the first place. The golden saw that coin despite the iron object being right next to it, over it, or under it. I think the nail board test just demonstrates in an articulated way, just how good the Tesoro is at finding the good stuff amidst the trash.

Monte's favorite detector is a Tesoro for detecting nail laden sites. I totally agree with him.

tabman

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come with me over to the woods on the West side of Harlem in Manhattan. You'll never be able to make the above statement again. :laughing7:

I can only imagine! lol

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I glad you like your golden. I have a site the is more reality besed. It's an old ghost town laden with square nails. Between bent nails and prices of rusty cans it struggles horribly. So if it kills it on the nail board but in real detecting situations struggles horribly I conclude the nail board test is meaningless.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm mainly referring to the vaquero and wouldn't mind having a golden. I'm pretty sure the 3 tones helps dramatically.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have my vaquero in the closet. Haven't used it in maybe 4 years. If I ever find a site with boards with coins and nails all over I'll have it sitting there waiting. Roflmao

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like Tesoro machines, but I like Minelabs, Garretts, First Texas, etc.....also. I just don't understand why guys who don't car for Tesoro's at all spend so much time on the Tesoro forum????

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like Tesoro machines, but I like Minelabs, Garretts, First Texas, etc.....also. I just don't understand why guys who don't car for Tesoro's at all spend so much time on the Tesoro forum????
I guess it could be all the videos that tout how great a machine is, a consumer buys said machine and cannot get it to perform anywhere near the way it does in the videos. People are often mis-informed, see some magical videos, buy a single tone Vaquero & realize that it is not as easy as it sounds/looks. I have had 2 F2's, both air tested the same. All of my detectors air tested the same as the example's I read or saw videos of, except one: Yep you guessed it. So some feel compelled to tell both sides of the story, inform perspective buyers by sharing their own personal experiences. $450 is a lot of cash to spend on a machine that you expected 13" on a quarter & can't get over 10". It is good for one to know the options and advantages/disadvantages of both types of machines. People have found gold with a certain Garrett detector that was very complex and had a recommended 100 hours practice before even attempting to use it in the gold patches. That is fine if one has the time, but many simply do not. Now there are detectors that offer a lot of features due to technological advancements, that require less "class" time and allow you to spend those hours finding nuggets instead. So is it with the single and multi-tones.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am sure you have. I have dug many targets with a Tesoro too so I have a full understanding of Tesoros trash/ keeper ratio. I am also not saying the NBT is not useful. I am mainly talking about consistently finding deep targets not the 4-5" ones.

Last edited:

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I am sure you have. I have dug many targets with a Tesoro too so I have a full understanding of Tesoros trash/ keeper ratio. I am also not saying the NBT is not useful. I am mainly talking about consistently finding deep targets not the 4-5" ones.

I don't have the experience on the other Tesoros to say much more about it. The Golden is not a deep machine. Occasionally, under great conditions, I have found deeper objects, mostly old pull tabs, as deep,as seven inches, and sometimes I just stopped digging because I was in a park and did not want to dig any deeper. The point I was trying to make is that the nail board test reveals a great capability. I think most Tesoros from what I have seen and read would have that great separation capability down to the limit of its depth capability.

You do have to agree that it raises a bit of doubt about an expensive machine when it cannot separate well on the DBT. It tells me that when that kind of machine finds a deep target, it probably was not being masked by other junk items.

To be fair... I recently saw a YouTube vid of the new Tesoro 11x8 coil performing pretty badly on the nail board test. I would upload it, but do not know how. If you simply search "Tesoro 11 x 8 nail board test" a vid will come up by "Texas Tiger Digs" using the new black Vaquero and the 11 x 8 coil. In my opinion, I thought the new combo failed the test. That being said, he is doing the test in doors and I don't know what is in the floor under the test board, that might explain it, but maybe not.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have the experience on the other Tesoros to say much more about it. The Golden is not a deep machine. Occasionally, under great conditions, I have found deeper objects, mostly old pull tabs, as deep,as seven inches, and sometimes I just stopped digging because I was in a park and did not want to dig any deeper. The point I was trying to make is that the nail board test reveals a great capability. I think most Tesoros from what I have seen and read would have that great separation capability down to the limit of its depth capability.

You do have to agree that it raises a bit of doubt about an expensive machine when it cannot separate well on the DBT. It tells me that when that kind of machine finds a deep target, it probably was not being masked by other junk items.

To be fair... I recently saw a YouTube vid of the new Tesoro 11x8 coil performing pretty badly on the nail board test. I would upload it, but do not know how. If you simply search "Tesoro 11 x 8 nail board test" a vid will come up by "Texas Tiger Digs" using the new black Vaquero and the 11 x 8 coil. In my opinion, I thought the new combo failed the test. That being said, he is doing the test in doors and I don't know what is in the floor under the test board, that might explain it, but maybe not.

My problem with nail board test is for example the explorer does terrible on NBT. In actual hunting situations with nails in the ground it does fantastic. So I put zero into how a detector does on the test. So you take a vaquero and wave it over NBT and fine tune your disc until you get the signal you want. That in no way is going to happened with buried target that you don't know is already there.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

After buying a vaquero and not being able to duplicate results is is only fair to tell prospective buyers. What gets me most is guys saying things like TESOROS discriminate the best PERIOD. Well that is an opinion and not everybody's. I remember one guy telling me how he love following guy with tid detectors and getting all the goodies we leave behind. Well low and behold a couple months later he finds his first silver coin. It's one of those things they hear so much they believe just because they hear it.

walnut

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using Tesoros for a couple of years. I am definitely not an expert, but I listened to the 53Silver video tone on the dime, and how can it be said that the Vaq did not clearly tell you to dig? I can tell coins, I know beaver tails, square tabs, pop tops, iron, generally before they come out of the ground. But, some of those things are almost impossible to tell from valuable targets, so you have to dig some of the stuff. It is just part of it. Are you telling me that a Fisher or AT Pro will do a better job than I can do with my Vaq or even Compadre?

Yesterday I detected a fairly old school about 500 feet of sidewalk. I can quickly thumb the disc and identify, pinpoint, and extract a coin in almost no time flat, and be on the next one in a minute. Does an AT Pro really beat that? If you followed me with any other detector, I seriously doubt you will find many or even any coin targets. I have gotten that confident in the Vaquero. Those crackly or inconsistent targets that I left are going to be trash. Not coins. Possibly very small gold, but would need to slow down a bit, that is a job for another day. I don't have as much time to get into this hobby as I would like, but I have accumulated a pretty nice little pile of gold and silver goodies in that time with Tesoro detectors. You do have to learn the Vaq but I don't think it is terribly hard to do.

Also, I think the phrase "beep and dig" is misleading. I have spent the hours to learn the language, and the identification process is definitely not beep and dig. It just does not work that way.

Last edited:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't doubt any bodies finds. It's phrases such as they are the best PERIOD that I have problems with. Back to the video, the vaquero give a good signal. Too many time the good signal was iron for me. You ask about atpro, all I can say is it finds coins in iron easily. I just bought one and is very easy to learn. All the things you look for in a signal with your tesoro is part of what I look for with multiple tones and vid. They also teach you that not all trashy signals are trash. If one tone can tell so much wouldn't it stand to reason more info couldn't hurt.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Note to all new Detectorists reading this thread. When you see the same four or five members trashing Tesoro machines constantly, take a look at the machines they own. They ALL have a Tesoro - or two, and none of them can decide what brand or machines really work for them. In example, Dirtscratcher uses Tesoro, Minelab, and Teknetics! Most of these members can't seem to decide what they want for breakfast. much less what machine they think is right for them. :skullflag:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread