This was found in a friends chicken coop; any ideas?

GerryL

Oct 30, 2008
western MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• photo0001.jpg
    photo0001.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 6,541
  • photo0003.jpg
    photo0003.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 6,459
  • photo0004.jpg
    photo0004.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 6,446
  • photo0005.jpg
    photo0005.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 6,335

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Re: This was found in a friend's chicken coop; any ideas?

Food for thought ... The Coleman Company began circa 1900-1905 and was involved in the War effort. (At least WWII as seen below). And "may" have been involved in the first war (WWI) as well. Note: I am not suggesting the item is a stove, but possibly something "related." :dontknow:

~ * ~

ESSENTIAL EQUIPMENT (1930 – 1945)

Less than twenty years later, World War II swept across the globe. Like many companies, The Coleman Company did its part to support the war effort. Allied munitions and air forces contained parts manufactured in Kansas by The Coleman Company. In June of 1942 the Army Quartermaster Corps issued an urgent request to the Coleman Company. Field troops were in dire need of a compact stove that could operate within a wide range of conditions in multiple theaters, weighed less than five pounds, could be no larger than a quart bottle of milk, and could burn any kind of fuel. And, the U.S. Army wanted 5,000 of the stoves delivered in sixty days.

Work commenced immediately to design and manufacture a stove that met the Army's strict specifications. The end product far exceeded anything that the Army had requested: the stove could work at 60 degrees below and up to 150 degrees above Fahrenheit; it could burn all kinds of fuel; it weighed a mere three and one-half pounds; and it was smaller than a quart bottle of milk. The first order for 5,000 units was flown to U.S. forces involved in Operation Torch, an allied invasion of North Africa in 1942. World War II journalist Ernie Pyle devoted 15 news articles to the Coleman® pocket stove and considered it one of the two most important pieces of noncombat equipment in the war effort, the other being the Jeep.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I agree that it may be a container for powder and the center may be for mixing the two different types of powder stored in the ends.. :dontknow:

I wonder if it could be a mouse/rat trap. Or a container to hold poison. The center being adjustable for the size of vermin so nothing else could enter. Im thinking the adjustable center is important but it doesnt look like a dispenser IMO. :dontknow:

If thats the size, it about right for a dog.

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What sort of powder would need to be stored first then mixed?
Why not just mix it first then store the mix?

Only thing I can think of would be for something that would cause a chemical reaction...... but for what purpose :icon_scratch:
Most chemicals and even arsenic would probably react with the copper and it doesn't look corroded.

I doubt it's a trap. What would shut the door to trap the vermin?
If its for containing poison, then there's no need to trap anything.
And what kind of poison needs to be mixed just before using?

I'm thinking it has three different compartments for storing/dispensing three different items that are different but related somehow.

The size would be right for carrying by a dog, or to fit in a large pocket or pouch.

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Please note; If adjusted properly, the "opening" in the center chamber seems as if it could be easily reduced to a small oval no larger than a grain of rice. And, of course, larger if needed. (Just more food for thought when considering "what" it might have been designed for).

SBB

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SODABOTTLEBOB said:
Please note; If adjusted properly, the "opening" in the center chamber seems as if it could be easily reduced to a small oval no larger than a grain of rice. And, of course, larger if needed. (Just more food for thought when considering "what" it might have been designed for).

SBB

It could be designed that way for use as an adjustable opening, or just as an open or close door.
I like the idea of adjustable size opening though. :icon_thumleft:

Could it be a combination pill, snuff, box?
Get a pinch of snuff from the middle opening, pills from the ends?

That's it!......The farmer lost his homemade combination pill/snuff box in the chicken coop :laughing7:
He also lost his chewing gum in the chicken yard and thought he found it............ several times. :tongue3:

Pic of homemade snuff box:
homemade-snuff.jpg

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

GoodyGuy said:

Only thing I can think of would be for something that would cause a chemical reaction...... but for what purpose :icon_scratch:
Most chemicals and even arsenic would probably react with the copper and it doesn't look corroded.

I doubt it's a trap. What would shut the door to trap the vermin?
If its for containing poison, then there's no need to trap anything.
And what kind of poison needs to be mixed just before using?

I'm thinking it has three different compartments for storing/dispensing three different items that are different but related somehow.

The size would be right for carrying by a dog, or to fit in a large pocket or pouch.
I am just throwing out wild guesses. (That is why I used the "dont know" icons). I dunno maybe like the roach hotel. They check in but dont check out lol. : Bob explains it better. "If adjusted properly, the "opening" in the center chamber seems as if it could be easily reduced to a small oval no larger than a grain of rice. And, of course, larger if needed. (Just more food for thought when considering "what" it might have been designed for)".

As far as the dispenser idea, I cant imagine trying to pour salt or sugar through the clumsy center opening. Keep in mind I am not arguing with anyone here, just discussing ideas. :icon_thumright: 8)

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

GoodyGuy said:
I am not a chemist but Im sure there are chemicals that are designed to be mixed with a catalyst prior to using such as hand warmers or epoxies. I dont know about poisons. But like I said, just throwing out wild ideas... and I certainly dont have any solid answers. :dontknow:

GoodyGuy said:
I like the idea of adjustable size opening though. :icon_thumleft:
thanks.

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

I don't know if we (The Three Amigos) are making any progress on this or not. But it's definitely better than ... well, it's better than a lot of things I can think of. So I guess it's time for me to go off-topic and do my "Christmas Jig" Lol :thumbsup:

SANTABOTTLEBOB

Attachments

• Santa Claus Dancing Clipart.gif
    Santa Claus Dancing Clipart.gif
    9.9 KB · Views: 227
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

I head back out to the Everglades about 2 am and I have a little time for my dose of brain food.

This is a toughie. Im thinking chicken coop is a clue. Maybe if we find out what else was out there?

Anything else out of place stored in that chicken coop? Was it found on the ground, in the corner, on a shelf, in plain view, in a cage? ...etc

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Didn't mean to offend anyone, I know we are just brainstorming, please don't take my comments personally,

Sorry BCH I now realize I was raining down on your ideas. :-[ I was only trying to hash things out, not put you down.

Any ideas, no matter how far fetched they may sound at first are giving us topics to do searches on and you never know what will turn up.
So keep em coming gang. :icon_thumleft:

GG~

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've been thinking..... (dangerous I know)
If you have to remove an end cap to be able to open the center chamber then whatever substance is in the end may fall out.

Perhaps the end caps are on so tight that the center can be opened without removing an end cap. :dontknow:
Or they weren't meant to come off in the first place, leaving only the center compartment as a functional chamber. :dontknow:

Upvote 0

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

When I first looked at this I thought a plumbers soldering kit. The lead solder went in the center were he would pull out a length and twist it griping the solder so it wouldn't move while holding the whole thing in his hand during the soldering of copper pipes. One end cap holding the flux and the other end held a role of emery cloth.
This is just my thoughts on it and never seen one before. It could have been the the only one made by a plumber for his own use or they were a kit sold a a store. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rodgerdodger said:
When I first looked at this I thought a plumbers soldering kit. The lead solder went in the center were he would pull out a length and twist it griping the solder so it wouldn't move while holding the whole thing in his hand during the soldering of copper pipes. One end cap holding the flux and the other end held a role of emery cloth.
This is just my thoughts on it and never seen one before. It could have been the the only one made by a plumber for his own use or they were a kit sold a a store. :thumbsup:

Great Idea!
That gives me something else to do research on. :icon_thumleft:

GG~

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

GoodyGuy said:
Didn't mean to offend anyone, I know we are just brainstorming, please don't take my comments personally,

Sorry BCH I now realize I was raining down on your ideas. :-[ I was only trying to hash things out, not put you down.

Any ideas, no matter how far fetched they may sound at first are giving us topics to do searches on and you never know what will turn up.
So keep em coming gang. :icon_thumleft:

GG~
NP If my ideas dont fit, its cool to tell me. I was just letting you know I was guessing wildly and really dont have a good handle on this one. 8)

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Since I just saw Santa flying over I figured this was a good time to plug in this message. It goes out to each and every member here on TreasureNet.com. Thanks for all the friendship and support this past year ... even if I have been a bit of a stranger lately.

From ...

~ SODABOTTLEBOB & FAMILY ~

Attachments

• Merry Christmas Motion Animation.gif
    Merry Christmas Motion Animation.gif
    22 KB · Views: 189
Upvote 0

kracer55

May 4, 2010
Spotsylvania VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm gonna make a comment on the round/oval hole. Someone questioned why it wasn't square? A couple of reasons for that could be that one, a square hole would have corners that would be prone to crack and wouldn't form as well when rolled. Another could be that the maker took two pieces of tube, put one inside the other and bored a hole through both at the same time. That would give you a stronger tube plus the two holes would both have the same diameter.

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kracer55 said:
I'm gonna make a comment on the round/oval hole. Someone questioned why it wasn't square? A couple of reasons for that could be that one, a square hole would have corners that would be prone to crack and wouldn't form as well when rolled. Another could be that the maker took two pieces of tube, put one inside the other and bored a hole through both at the same time. That would give you a stronger tube plus the two holes would both have the same diameter.

I like the way you think. However the center hole appears to be oval shaped. Hard to drill an oval hole.

Upvote 0

kracer55

May 4, 2010
Spotsylvania VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When you drill or bore a hole in a tube it appears oval. flatten it out and it is round.

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kracer55 said:
When you drill or bore a hole in a tube it appears oval. flatten it out and it is round.

Good point!
Conversely if the hole were drilled first in a flat sheet and then rolled into a tube the same illusion would appear as well. :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions