This was found in a friends chicken coop; any ideas?

GerryL

Oct 30, 2008
western MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• photo0001.jpg
    photo0001.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 6,541
  • photo0003.jpg
    photo0003.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 6,459
  • photo0004.jpg
    photo0004.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 6,446
  • photo0005.jpg
    photo0005.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 6,335

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: This was found in a friend's chicken coop; any ideas?

Great work people :hello2: It's good to see all the interest still, for this object. It has certainly worked my imagination since it appeared here.

The dog message cylinder looks like a possibility due to it being a cylinder of similar size - but there the similarity seems to end.

I have to comment; there are no signs of attachment points on the Tnet cylinder; why the two end compartments? also - If the centre (center) compartment was for holding messages, why not a simple rectangular opening instead of the complicated oval?
Imagine trying to tuck a folded piece of paper into the centre - it doesn't make sense.

What does make sense (to me) for the centre compartment is if it was packed (and easily repacked) with a material such as tinder cloth, which suggests to me (as I've said before) a tinder 'box'
or packed with cotton wool for, as others have suggested, a medicine kit, whether for poultry or people.

Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Good points. I was thinking it was simply attached with 2 leather straps. :dontknow: The tube could simply be twisted to remove the message. I dont have an explanation for the end compartments.

Isnt it kinda large for a tinder box?

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

AMBULANCE DOG ? :dontknow:

First Aid Tube ?

But where's the attachments for straps ?

(I'm Still Researching This)

SBB

"The French war dogs are divided into five classes, each of which performs a special type of work. There are sentinel dogs, patrol dogs, ambulance dogs, dispatch dogs and drought dogs. In all these departments of military activity they have proved their worth."

Upvote 0

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

its a old mating fight tube, each cap would hold a chemical that would be poured into the center of the tube, causing the male and females to kindle

Upvote 0

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigcypresshunter said:
Isnt it kinda large for a tinder box?

Kia ora Mate,
I'm not an expert, so I have to say, I don't know.
Like you, I keep an open mind until the ID is positive :icon_thumleft:

I highly suspect we are looking at a one-off, whatever it is.
Made by a skilled craftsman is without doubt.
Maybe he was trying to improve on this clumsy arrangement
Tinderbox.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinderbox

and Cheers SodaBob :hello2:
Mike

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Same to you Mike ... and a Merry Christmas to all.

It'll probably turn out to be some kitchen thingy that grandma threw at grandpa because he was out in the chicken coop drinkin' hooch! ::)

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

The photo below is by no means a positive identification, and is shown merely to establish that those so called Ambulance / Mercy Dogs of WWI did carry a "similar" looking tube around their necks. (Was it curiosity or speculation that killed the cat ?) :icon_scratch:

SBB

Attachments

• Ambulance Dog with collar tube.jpg
    Ambulance Dog with collar tube.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 441
Upvote 0

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin

SODABOTTLEBOB said:
Same to you Mike ... and a Merry Christmas to all.

It'll probably turn out to be some kitchen thingy that grandma threw at grandpa because he was out in the chicken coop drinkin' hooch! ::)

Probably the closest yet! :thumbsup:

Merry Christmas SBB.

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Blacksheep ... Happy Holidays to you as well.

The following quote was posted by thread starter "GerryL," and is from page one back in November of 2008.

" ... and the large middle one which is opened by rotating the outer "sleeve".

I'm (curiosity killed the cat) wondering exactly how this function is performed? If the end caps are left on during an attempted rotating process, do the caps spin freely, or are they snugly secured? Or do you have to take off at least one of the caps in order to achieve the rotating process which allows the center compartment to open? I hope my question makes sense. I ask it in order to have a better understanding of "why" the center compartment was so precisely designed. It seems to me that it could just as easily have been designed to "pull apart" in the center, but that the designer had a "specific reason" for the rotation feature. :icon_scratch:

Thanks

SBB

Attachments

• Tube From TN (2).jpg
    Tube From TN (2).jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 441
Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's what I want to know. Which part do you grip and which part do you twist to open/close?
You say 6-7inches inches long overall. can you be more exact?
What is the exact outside diameter?
And what is the exact measurement of the center hole length and width?
Would also need to know if the center tube has been filed sharp to make a cutting edge.

I am leaning toward more of a 3 compartment container than a cutter unless the center has a sharpened edge.

It would sure be great to solve this before the end of the year.
That would be 3 of the greatest unsolved mysteries of T-net solved this year!

FYI the pignuts were proven to be from a Korean Gonggi set.

Thanks,
GG~

*OH I just noticed it has been 6 months since "GerryL" has been on t-net :help:

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

GoodyGuy said:
That's what I want to know. Which part do you grip and which part do you twist to open/close?
I dont know either? :icon_scratch:
GoodyGuy said:
It was a tough fight and I pressured him but I feel it was necessary since it was solved over 3 years ago. Im glad the new evidence was enough to satisfy everyone involved. Who locked it down? Maybe a mod locked it before Piggman changed his mind and requested the new package. I think he finally tired of it. :dontknow:

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Reminder ... Notice in the cropped image below (from JG_from_NC's original post) that this particular message tube does not have any noticable attachments for the collar other than ... what "appears" to be two pieces of heavy wire - which "appear" to be either welded or soldered in place. Is it possible that the tube in question is simply missing these wires? I wish GerryL were around to tell us if there is any evidence of weld spots that we can't see in his original photo(s).

SBB

Attachments

• message tube black and white cropped (2).jpg
    message tube black and white cropped (2).jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 384
Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigcypresshunter said:
GoodyGuy said:
I dont know either? :icon_scratch:
GoodyGuy said:
It was a tough fight and I pressured him but I feel it was necessary since it was solved over 3 years ago. Im glad the new evidence was enough to satisfy everyone involved. Who locked it down? Maybe a mod locked it before Piggman changed his mind and requested the new package. I think he finally tired of it. :dontknow:

I assumed Piggman locked it so as to have the last word.

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

I sent GerryL a PM and hopefully will hear from him soon to answer a few questions.

In the meantime ... I took a measurement from his first photo which he said was ... {quote} "This thing is about 6-7" long, the quarter is just there for size comparison."

Regarding size ...

I first measured a 25-cent piece, which is exactly 15/16" in diameter, and then I measured the one from GerryL's first photo, and it measured 12/16" (3/4"). And the tube itself in the photo measures exactly 6" long by 1 & 5/16" in diameter. So the bottom line is that GerryL's original photo is just "slightly" smaller than actual size ... which I "estimate" to be appx ...

6 & 1/4 inches long x 1 & 1/2 inches in diameter.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GerryL

Oct 30, 2008
western MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm still kickin' SBBob, thanks for the PM. :-) So this thread didn't die, huh? I never made a positive ID on it. I'd say not a pnuematic tube. I only had the item for a few days back when I started the thread, as it belongs to a friend of my wife. And I thought I had taken good enough photos to surely answer any questions! :-D I'll see if I can get my hands on it again to check it out in more detail. It may take until after the holidays though.
Does anyone have access to a chemical analysis of some sort? ;-)
-Gerry

SODABOTTLEBOB said:
I sent GerryL a PM and hopefully will hear from him soon to answer a few questions.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

GerryL said:
It has 3 separate compartments, a small one on each end (one is shown opened up, and the large middle one which is opened by rotating the outer "sleeve". One of the end compartments had a yellow residue in it. ???
-Gerry
I think I get it. One end cap may have to be removed to hold the inner sleeve while rotating the outer sleeve. But Im not certain. My guess the outer sleeve can come completely off. I wonder if its lubricated or greased? Otherwise it may seize.

Im wondering why the inner sleeve is silver colored? Is it also copper or something else?

Attachments

• photo0001.jpg
    photo0001.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 383
  • photo0001.jpg
    photo0001.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 376
Upvote 0

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other

It looks to me like it was nickel plated brass in the middle, and something rotates, look at the wear scratches in the center part..........NGE

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This should be just about actual size if I did it right.........

Tube From TN (2).jpg

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

I'm guessing that the access hole to the center chamber was designed so that it would be larger (wide open) when whatever contents it contained were put into it. And that the adjustable sleeve was designed so that when the contents were removed they could either be shaken or poured out in smaller, measurable incriments.

For example : If it was designed to contain a "powder," the open position would allow it to easily be filled. And then when opened just "slightly" the powder could be shaken out. It doesn't appear to be water tight, but it may be. It just doesn't make sense (at least not to me) that the center chamber was designed for a piece of rolled papper or anything like that such as would be used for a dispatch.

And if I am even "close" to being right ... then what form of "powder" could it possibly have contained? :dontknow:

SBB

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SODABOTTLEBOB said:
I'm guessing that the access hole to the center chamber was designed so that it would be larger (wide open) when whatever contents it contained were put into it. And that the adjustable sleeve was designed so that when the contents were remove they could either be shaken or poured out in smaller, measurable incriments.

For example : If it was designed to contain a "powder," the open position would allow it to easily be filled. And then when opened just "slightly" the powder could be shaken out. It doesn't appear to be water tight, but it may be. It just doesn't make sense (at least not to me) that the center chamber was designed for a piece of rolled papper or anything like that such as would be used for a dispatch.

And if I am even "close" to being right ... then what form of "powder" could it possibly have contained? :dontknow:

SBB

You are thinking along the same lines as me Bob.
I agree with everything you just said.

The yellow residue found in one end chamber described by GerryL could also be a clue......or not.
Not sure whether being found in a chicken coop is a clue either :dontknow:

Could it be as simple as a homemade condiment holder for camping? Salt,pepper,sugar
Perhaps part of civil war mess kit? or any military for that matter even foreign.

GG~

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions