This was found in a friends chicken coop; any ideas?

GerryL

Oct 30, 2008
western MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• photo0001.jpg
    photo0001.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 6,541
  • photo0005.jpg
    photo0005.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 6,335
  • photo0004.jpg
    photo0004.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 6,446
  • photo0003.jpg
    photo0003.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 6,459

kc7rad

Nov 13, 2005
Re: This was found in a friend's chicken coop; any ideas?

Just going to throw this out there... What if this thing is a container meant to hold samples of seed corn? The compartments at each end could have held simple chemicals; Sulpher was used to discourage many pests when planting corn.

Just a thought. Only experience I have - grew up on an old family farm and this thing looks familiar.

Oh, has anyone asked the folks here: www.farmcollector.com

-Ken

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

I did this somewhat primative experiment by cutting a perfect circle out of a piece of paper. And then I wrapped it around a cardboard paper towel tube. It definitely appears to be oval ... but in fact is round.

So what does this tell us? That (as kracer55 and GoodGuy both pointed out) it was bored/drilled first and then put together.

Okey dokey, then ... so what does this tell us? Personally, I'm still lost in the 50s without a clue? Lol :tongue3:

SBB

Attachments

• Tube Hole round vs oval experiment (650x421).jpg
    Tube Hole round vs oval experiment (650x421).jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 645
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

... it appears to be copper, soldered.

This question is for GerryL regarding his quote above.

Gerry ~

Has it ever been determined for certain whether the item is copper or brass? Or possibly copper plated tin? I know when I do certain searches it makes a great deal of difference on how I word it ... For example: ( Round "Copper" Container ) and (Round "Brass" Container ) will pull up entirely different results.

All I can tell you at this point is that a magnet will not stick to either copper or brass ... but it will to tin/metal.

If we can determine for certain what it is made of, it "might" just take us one step closer to a positive identification.

Thanks a lot,

Bob

Upvote 0

kracer55

May 4, 2010
Spotsylvania VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"Okey dokey, then ... so what does this tell us?"
Probably nothing but some have the idea that the oval holes are an indication they were meant to be used as a cutter but they could just be an openings that line up very good.

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

kracer55 ~

Thanks. I wasn't being fastidious. I was honestly wondering where that line of inquiry was heading. And now I know.

And just to show everyone that I am a truly good sport, I am going to share my favorite and "secret" website that I use for researching items more than any other. It contains more than "60 MILLION" images! It is the best site I know of for finding those hard (if not impossible) to find items. The site still continues to amaze me every time I tap into it. Some of you may already be familiar with it. But just as many of you are likely not aware of it. I have been using it for years and have only just barely scracted the tip of its iceberg.

The site may require you to sign in. But otherwise it's free and fairly easy. Most of the search results will be found by clicking on the "sold" category. Enter any word combinations you feel pertain to the item you are looking for and you will be amazed by the results that come up. By signing in you will also be able to see what the item(s) sold for and when, plus specific description information about it.

You won't believe the number of word combinations I have tried for the item in question, and I am still coming up with new word entries every day. Unfortunately, even with the millions of possible results, I have yet to find our tube thingy, and am beginning to think it may not be included in the sites archives ... but then again maybe it is and I have just failed to word it properly.

In any event, try it out. I'm certain you will like it. And unlike e-bay that doesn't maintain an archives (but could and should in my opinion) this one goes back to 2003. It covers items not only from the United States, but from all over the world.

If you have any questions about it please feel free to ask. I haven't exactly mastered it, but I click around on it pretty good.

I hope it helps identify our chicken coop item. But even if it doesn't it may very well assist in other "What Is It" identifications.

Safe Link : http://www.liveauctioneers.com/about.html

Enjoy!

Bob

P.S. Be sure to click on the "SOLD" panel that comes up after your initial search. Otherwise you will just get the current stuff and not the archives. Example: I just entered ... Civil War ... and it produced 34,210 results. It would take a week to look at all of them!

Upvote 0

harms_way

Jan 1, 2011

Hi Gerry..been reading on this site for a few months (great site) thought I would put in my two cents worth. When I saw your copper tube I thought it was a level. I've seen similar tubes with similar cut outs there is a bent glass tube that is inside with markings for the bubble (yours is missing) covering up the hole by rotating was done to protect the glass. If you go to the site Sodabottlebob suggested
and type in spirit level or starrett level you will see similar tubes. I'm only quessing but the two removeable caps are for protection of the ends, that when in use are mounted. I have found these in different forms with corks in each end mounted on old research equipment.

Upvote 0

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

harms_way said:
Hi Gerry..been reading on this site for a few months (great site) thought I would put in my two cents worth. When I saw your copper tube I thought it was a level. I've seen similar tubes with similar cut outs there is a bent glass tube that is inside with markings for the bubble (yours is missing) covering up the hole by rotating was done to protect the glass. If you go to the site Sodabottlebob suggested
and type in spirit level or starrett level you will see similar tubes. I'm only quessing but the two removeable caps are for protection of the ends, that when in use are mounted. I have found these in different forms with corks in each end mounted on old research equipment.
Welcome to TreasureNet - and one of my favourite/favorite mystery items :icon_scratch:
I tried the searches you suggested on SodaBob's link - but 0 result :dontknow:
Can you direct us to any other examples?
Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow :o
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
I found this in the sold archives under "Starrett level." Thanks Harms_Way.

SBB
That has a lot of similarities :headbang:
But I suspect this is off track :icon_scratch: :dontknow:
Mike

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

harms_way ~

By the "way" ... Welcome to the forum. And thanks again for the suggestion regarding the Starrett Levels.

After concluding an extensive search (at least four hours) on the Starrett types of cylinder levels, I discovered that all of them are highly precision instruments with very intricate and detailed design. I suppose the one in question could be that of an earlier and more primative type, and something other than what I was able to find. But if this is the case then it totally escaped me while searching numerous internet websites. I did discover that the Starrett Tool Company goes back to at least the early 1920s, and possibly even earlier than that. And I believe they are still in operation today.

Perhaps a closer inspection by GerryL of the interior of the cylinder would reveal more clues as to whether or not there was ever anything attached there and, as you suggested, "is missing."

You may very well be onto something, but if so it presently eludes me. I will continue my search and let you know if I find anything more substantial.

Thanks again,

SBB

Upvote 0

harms_way

Jan 1, 2011

Thanks sodabottlebob
I've spent several hours looking as well. I don't believe its a "starrett level". Was just trying to show a tubular style of spirit level. These type of levels have been used for all sorts of equipment and tools.I'm familiar with the machinist level on which the tube is mounted to a base with adjusting screws for accuracy.The oval cut out is the same and the inner rotating sleeve acting as a shield is the same.It also has capped ends on the tube ends, but has a mount attached to these for the base to attach. Those were things were what pointed me to the idea that it is a level.If it isn't a level, I will have learned something new,thanks.

Upvote 0

Gary66

Jul 30, 2009
Belle Vernon PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Bandido and Conquistador. Whites TR-Disc, Eagle 2 SL 90, Eagle Spectrum, XLT and M6. Garrett GTAx 1000pm, Garrett Pro Pointer. Compass XP-Pro. Fisher CZ-6A. Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and Sharpshooter.

Upvote 0

Chainbreaker

Oct 28, 2010

I've got the answer for the tube with three compartments, it's a plumber's container for holding rosin, grease, and flour. One of my friends found it in a book entitled "Encyclopedia of Antique Tools and Machinery" by C.H. Wendel (page 171), the three substances were all necessary for the soldering process of assembling the joints of lead pipe. A similar grease and rosin box can be seen on this page:

http://chestofbooks.com/home-improv...ard-Practical/The-Plumber-s-Tools-Part-2.html

The web site states "When rosin, grease, etc., are not kept in some such receptacle they become scattered among the tools, and are not only hard to find when needed, but adhere to the tools and get them into dirty condition."

The tool book said they were made in three different sizes.

Someone here had sent me a link to this thread, I posted the item on my web site a few months ago but didn't get an answer until today. My "What is it?" web site can be seen here:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

And my post with the rosin box is on this page:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/2010/12/set-369.html

Upvote 0

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome ID Chainbreaker :hello2:

Green check :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Chainbreaker said:
I've got the answer for the tube with three compartments, it's a plumber's container for holding rosin, grease, and flour. One of my friends found it in a book entitled "Encyclopedia of Antique Tools and Machinery" by C.H. Wendel (page 171), the three substances were all necessary for the soldering process of assembling the joints of lead pipe. A similar grease and rosin box can be seen on this page:

http://chestofbooks.com/home-improv...ard-Practical/The-Plumber-s-Tools-Part-2.html
OMG banner ID!!! :notworthy:

Great work Chainbreaker!! :hello2: Thanks for working on old unsolved threads.

solved check.gif

GREEN CHECK !! :D Plumber-s-Tools.jpg

Attachments

• solved check.gif
    solved check.gif
    589 bytes · Views: 469
Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Chainbreaker

Great Id :icon_thumleft:
......Just when I was beginning to think this one had flown the coop. :tongue3:

I sent you the link Mon, Dec 20, 2010 10:15 AM but never heard back so I thought it was dead. Thanks Chainbreaker

Rodgerdodger thought plumbers kit, Dec 22, 2010
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,198092.msg2643367.html#msg2643367

Rodger you have been vindicated :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

rodgerdodger said:
When I first looked at this I thought a plumbers soldering kit. The lead solder went in the center were he would pull out a length and twist it griping the solder so it wouldn't move while holding the whole thing in his hand during the soldering of copper pipes. One end cap holding the flux and the other end held a role of emery cloth.
This is just my thoughts on it and never seen one before. It could have been the the only one made by a plumber for his own use or they were a kit sold a a store. :thumbsup:

Congratulations "Chainbreaker" Solid Identification! And for those just seeing this for the first time, it was started by member GerryL on November 1, 2008. An honorable mention should also go to member rogerdodger above. He "guessed" right but unfortunately could not prove it with a photo or other information.

And howdy to everyone else. I'm still kicking, but spend most of my internet time on Antique-Bottles.net. Check us out sometime. Most of my post/threads are in the soda bottle section ... Link: http://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/default.asp

Take care,

Bob ... a.k.a. "SODABOTTLEBOB" and "SODAPOPBOB" on A-B.net

Attachments

• Green check mark.png
    Green check mark.png
    5 KB · Views: 530
  • Green check mark.png
    Green check mark.png
    5 KB · Views: 530
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

rodgerdodger said:
When I first looked at this I thought a plumbers soldering kit. The lead solder went in the center were he would pull out a length and twist it griping the solder so it wouldn't move while holding the whole thing in his hand during the soldering of copper pipes. One end cap holding the flux and the other end held a role of emery cloth.
This is just my thoughts on it and never seen one before. It could have been the the only one made by a plumber for his own use or they were a kit sold a a store. :thumbsup:

Yes Rodgerdodger deserves some credit for suggesting plumbers soldering kit but its not for holding solder or emery cloth. Its for holding plumbers grease, rosin and flour. I believe the flour mix was used to keep solder from sticking.

I wrongly dismissed the plumbers kit idea myself because I just couldnt imagine this dispensing solder. Chainbreaker solved it.

Upvote 0

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

welcome Chainbreaker,good solve,thought it would run into 2012, lol
here is another one 1.75$, sorry its a buck,and i have the wrong name of it on the jpg
http://tinyurl.com/475gogk

Attachments

• plumbers tool roll.JPG
    plumbers tool roll.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 441
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Has anyone come up with a date yet for when the item was made/marketed? I looked into it a little but came up empty-handed (as usual). Lol :icon_scratch:

SBB

Oops ...

I just went pack and found this in answer to my own question. Maybe I'm not as dumb as I thought I was.

SBB

Title Standard Practical Plumbing
Author R. M. Starbuck
Publisher The Norman W. Henley Publishing Company
Year 1910
Copyright 1910, The Norman W. Henley Publishing Company
Amazon Standard practical plumbing

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread