This weeks totals 48 boxes

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
48 boxes? gracious! How in the world do people gather up the money to get this many boxes? Love the results but lord almighty you must need a fork lift to load all those boxes into your car. Or get a mini trailer to haul all that stuff around. ::laughs:: Just had an idea. I saw an article in backwoodshome magazine about making a mini camper that can be hauled around with a car. Imagine using that to pick up your money, drive to an empty lot, go through the coinage, then go dump it at all your places without having to drive home. ::chuckles:: mercy I will have to remember that one when I need a pick-me-up.

Personally I wouldn't mind going along with a CRHer. I play packmule for my mom all the time. Just to go along and then help unwrapping the coinage would be nice to do on my day off. Someone to talk to that has the same interests....Hey TH!! we need a personals section on this forum. Please!! I need a platonic CRHing freind!!

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I think your this guy BS, just let it go allready. HH, Maverick.

That's a funny commercial.

How am I one upping them? I did 44 boxes this week, pulled about 13 oz, took me 12 or so hours between searching, picking up, and dumping. I'd say picking up and dumping took 3.5 hours, and searching took up the rest... That's about 11 minutes a box. I'm just saying, I find their expectations on how much time they've input to be unreasonable, and that could be skewing their calculations on how much the silver they find is costing them. After all, time IS money, and whatever you value your time at needs to be a part of those calculations. Each Oz I find, on average, costs me about $12 after cost of silver, cost of gas, cost of wear and tear on car, and cost of time.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Fist asked Tim what he estimates his time is, Tims " Estimation" was 7 hours, not exactly 7 hours, just 7 hours. You had to come on his thread and try and prove him wrong, there by 1 upping him. It's not just his thread, many others you do this on too. You seem to have to have the better opinion or prove someone wrong. I get that you have a good knowledge of coins and Numismatics ( far more than I do, I'll admit that), but maybe think about your post before you post it and see if you are actually contributing to the thread or just getting on it to prove someone wrong, thats all. I do not mean this to be mean or spitefull in any way, just sayin what I have noticed. No harm, no foul. HH, Maverick.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
7 hours is almost 7 boxes per hour not counting the time to pick up the coins and dump them. 20 hours is a more fair estimate, and even then you'd have to hustle.

I can do about 4 boxes an hour face checking if I move quickly and don't slice or re-roll. For slicing with a razor, edge searching, and sealing with tape I can do 2 boxes an hour which is about one roll every 36 seconds. I guess if I edge checked and could dump everything loose I could do 7 boxes an hour, but driving around and waiting in line takes a lot of time too.

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I hunt each box thoroughly in ~2 minutes. Sound check is a big part of that hunt time. Stop calling us liars "solid rolls of indian heads, barbers, etc. at a bank tim frequents."

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt each box thoroughly in ~2 minutes. Sound check is a big part of that hunt time. Stop calling us liars "solid rolls of indian heads, barbers, etc. at a bank tim frequents."

How do you open and check each roll thoroughly in 2.4 seconds?

OP
OP
TimZim

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a funny commercial.

How am I one upping them? I did 44 boxes this week, pulled about 13 oz, took me 12 or so hours between searching, picking up, and dumping. I'd say picking up and dumping took 3.5 hours, and searching took up the rest... That's about 11 minutes a box. I'm just saying, I find their expectations on how much time they've input to be unreasonable, and that could be skewing their calculations on how much the silver they find is costing them. After all, time IS money, and whatever you value your time at needs to be a part of those calculations. Each Oz I find, on average, costs me about $12 after cost of silver, cost of gas, cost of wear and tear on car, and cost of time.
Time is money who cares i have my crh cash and i make time! it works for me. I found 9220z last year so its a great part time job!! And yes 7 or so hours is what i do most weeks. The key is do boxes while you drive. Now that i got my new safe i can put them away easy and theres more room for ?? $100.000 in halfs. I will post a pic soon. Its 4000lbs

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Record yourself searching 10 boxes in 22 minutes and put it on YouTube and I will PayPal you $100.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
fistfulladirt said:
Ahhhhh, FFD never asked Tim that.

Oopps, you're right, it was badbluff. Ok, my bad. HH, maverick.

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I recorded myself doing 1 box and it was a few seconds shy of 2 minutes. If you are being truthful I will take you up on that offer.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recorded myself doing 1 box and it was a few seconds shy of 2 minutes. If you are being truthful I will take you up on that offer.

That's ten sealed boxes, dumped into bags (not set aside, but pulled out of wherever you keep them) sorted and dumped... everything in 22 minutes and yes, I will paypal you $100.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011

I'll send you a 90% - mailed, no Paypal - for access to that video. Not because I don't believe you, but I'd love to see how you do it. Let me know if you post the video, I'll gladly send the coin.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can do a box of cents in under 3 minutes but only the plastic Brinks wrappers, and only opening the rolls (not searching). Can't imagine opening 50 paper rolls of halves and searching them in 2 minutes. With halves, I use a butter knife to open one end and push the coins out from the other end with my thumb. For cents I use a Sharpie fine tip marker.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flat boxes are easy:

1. Cut off top w/ box cutter (or just rip it off)
2. Cut top edge of rolls still in box with knife
3. Rolls tear easily - rip it half way and push coins out
4. 2-3 sec edge check
5. Throw clad in bag & repeat

Thats how i search em when I'm in a hurry. High volume hunters may even have a more efficient way of doing it. At 8 min/box (very doable), that's less that 6 1/2 hrs.

The square boxes take longer cuz u can't cut all the rolls at once.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys have me a little curious now, I've never timed myself opening a box of halves, I'm going to try it this week just for s%&^ and giggles. 2 min seems maybe attainable for a box just ripping the rolls, edge check and clincking them fast in your hand and dumping them in a bag, but like I said, I've never really tried to search as fast as I can really. Now, starting the timer out at the point were I start lifting the boxes up to the table and getting them staged to start opening and searching, then no way i could to 10 boxes in 22 min. HH, Maverick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread