Three for Three - My third NJ Copper this month!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday morning I decided to check out a new area and after an hour or so of exploring, finding no evidence of any homestead, I decided to head back to the truck, as so often happens in this situation, I spotted a small plateau in this somewhat hilly area and walked to it and I started to get some iron hits! :thumbsup: Then I saw the confirming evidence that I look for in our part of the state, Grapevines! All of a sudden there were quite a few growing up the trees and even though there was no evidence of a building ever being there, I knew from past experience this was someones home most likely back in the 1790-1830 era.
Site254.1.jpg
Site254.jpg
My first diggable target was a no doubt about it coin reading , so I was thinking of filming the recovery, but in the past that has been a jinx, sort of like it guarantees instead of a coin it would be a large button! ::) Instead I just cleared the leaves from the pinpointed area, stuck my digger in the ground and took a "before digging" photo.
Before digging copper.jpg
The coin evidently was in the bottom of the hole, since it must have been freed when my hand scooped out the rest of the loose dirt and then I saw the coin lying in the outer area of the dug dirt pile.
Copper in dirt.jpg
Copper1dirty.jpg
My first thought was a Coronet Large Cent, which to me is somewhat of a disappointment, but would be happy with the find regardless. I did not have much more time and hunted for about 15 more minutes at the new site and got part of an old hinge? and a keyhole cover and a UNK that I have found before and have no idea what the tubular piece of copper/brass might have been used for.
Site254Finds1.jpg
Site254Finds2.jpg
When I got home it took awhile before I had time to look at the finds, so I put them in hot peroxide and had to run some errands. I emailed my son about the new site and the fact I thought I found a Coronet Large Cent and looked like it might clean up good. Well surprise, surprise, when I returned home and removed the coin from the peroxide, it was still heavily encrusted :-[ now that is a bad sign, usually means not in good shape when you have a "cement" like coating on a copper. But, as I took a wet q-tip to remove what crud did loosen up, I saw it. A SHIELD, I was thinking, don't tell me I have another NJ copper! I quickly turned the coin over to try and see some detail on the other side and sure enough, after some q-tip work, a horse head and plow became visible!
cleaning.jpg
I just confirmed that I had found my 3rd New Jersey Copper this month! Also, the only 3 coins I have found so far in 2011 have all been NJ Coppers. I never, ever thought something like this would happen, in 30 years of hunting, I have found my fair share of NJ coppers, but usually more like 1 or 2 in a year if lucky and some years none. So to find 3 in one month, is just so special for me.

So I continued cleaning the coin and it was becoming obvious to me that this one just was not going to clean up much better with peroxide, so I let it dry, and analyzed that maybe I will now try picking with round toothpicks. After 2-3 hours of attempting to make it better, I did see improvement, but there was just no way the coin will be a looker. I finally gave up on trying to remove the remaining crud and just put a very light coat of Blue Ribbon Coin Conditioner on it, which helped also to remove some more of the crud, but some details now a bit harder to see.
1787Maris64-t Site254.jpg
I was surprised of the condition, I expected a copper from this area to be in great shape, but maybe the next one from there will be, I always joke that when I find one like this, that it must have been one where deer pee on in a regular way. ;D

Here is a photo of the three NJ coppers found by me in February.
Feb2011 New Jersey Coppers.jpg

I expect to return next week to this site, I sure hope it is hiding at least one more copper for me, who knows, maybe my 4th NJ for 2011.......

Don

Upvote 0

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is krazy kool 8) X three :o you have done the impossible :laughing7: Congrats :headbang:

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Very nice, I found three old coppers in the same hole as luck would have it two were stamped copy & the third a very good counterfeit

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,
Always impressed with your finds. :thumbsup: And your ability to bring them back. :thumbsup:
Just a thought on your unknown piece maybe part of a utensil.As it carries the same design as this piece I found & think it's what it was. :icon_scratch:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

Attachments

• IMG_0917.JPG
    IMG_0917.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 669
  • IMG_0918.JPG
    IMG_0918.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 667

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are on a roll Don! congrats!HH

RickyD

Jan 21, 2006
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX 550. Garrett Pro Pointer
Absolutely amazing finds. What always amazes me about the wooded areas being detected back east, is how clear the ground is under the trees. Up here in the northwest part of Washington State every kind of snarled bush imagineable invades these same kind of open areas, making swinging a coil next to impossible. Ain't fair. Anyway, congrats!!!!

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just nuts! Last year I had two CT coppers in two weeks. You're on a roll!! Grats.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite a NJ roll! You're posting them faster than I'm replying. ;D

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope some of the detectorists on here actually read this story. Paying close attention to your surroundings can produce great results. Alot of detectorists may have dismissed this spot and passed it by. If you know what to look for, these grown in shallow holes were actually homes, if only for a few short years in history. And boy what "Honey Holes" they can be. Case in point............My 25-83A, that I sold at a Stacks auction was found at such a spot. My brother in law had to call me over to confirm if it was actually a cellar hole or not. Well hidden, and very grown in and shallow, but in 5 mins. it turned out to be history for me. By the way....it was the only coin found at this spot, thus far. CONGRATS DON!!!! :notworthy:

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Congrats Don I think a fourth NJ is on its way from you. Is two the most you have found in a year at a time? Again Congrats :icon_thumleft:

Bubba65

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bubba65 said:
Congrats Don I think a fourth NJ is on its way from you. Is two the most you have found in a year at a time? Again Congrats :icon_thumleft:

Bubba65

Checked my records, in 2005 I found three that year, but the 3rd one was found on December 30th! :D

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! that is an awesome story. Finding one would be a thrill for any of us here, in any condition. To find three? Priceless!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread