Three for Three - My third NJ Copper this month!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday morning I decided to check out a new area and after an hour or so of exploring, finding no evidence of any homestead, I decided to head back to the truck, as so often happens in this situation, I spotted a small plateau in this somewhat hilly area and walked to it and I started to get some iron hits! :thumbsup: Then I saw the confirming evidence that I look for in our part of the state, Grapevines! All of a sudden there were quite a few growing up the trees and even though there was no evidence of a building ever being there, I knew from past experience this was someones home most likely back in the 1790-1830 era.
Site254.1.jpg
Site254.jpg
My first diggable target was a no doubt about it coin reading , so I was thinking of filming the recovery, but in the past that has been a jinx, sort of like it guarantees instead of a coin it would be a large button! ::) Instead I just cleared the leaves from the pinpointed area, stuck my digger in the ground and took a "before digging" photo.
Before digging copper.jpg
The coin evidently was in the bottom of the hole, since it must have been freed when my hand scooped out the rest of the loose dirt and then I saw the coin lying in the outer area of the dug dirt pile.
Copper in dirt.jpg
Copper1dirty.jpg
My first thought was a Coronet Large Cent, which to me is somewhat of a disappointment, but would be happy with the find regardless. I did not have much more time and hunted for about 15 more minutes at the new site and got part of an old hinge? and a keyhole cover and a UNK that I have found before and have no idea what the tubular piece of copper/brass might have been used for.
Site254Finds1.jpg
Site254Finds2.jpg
When I got home it took awhile before I had time to look at the finds, so I put them in hot peroxide and had to run some errands. I emailed my son about the new site and the fact I thought I found a Coronet Large Cent and looked like it might clean up good. Well surprise, surprise, when I returned home and removed the coin from the peroxide, it was still heavily encrusted :-[ now that is a bad sign, usually means not in good shape when you have a "cement" like coating on a copper. But, as I took a wet q-tip to remove what crud did loosen up, I saw it. A SHIELD, I was thinking, don't tell me I have another NJ copper! I quickly turned the coin over to try and see some detail on the other side and sure enough, after some q-tip work, a horse head and plow became visible!
cleaning.jpg
I just confirmed that I had found my 3rd New Jersey Copper this month! Also, the only 3 coins I have found so far in 2011 have all been NJ Coppers. I never, ever thought something like this would happen, in 30 years of hunting, I have found my fair share of NJ coppers, but usually more like 1 or 2 in a year if lucky and some years none. So to find 3 in one month, is just so special for me.

So I continued cleaning the coin and it was becoming obvious to me that this one just was not going to clean up much better with peroxide, so I let it dry, and analyzed that maybe I will now try picking with round toothpicks. After 2-3 hours of attempting to make it better, I did see improvement, but there was just no way the coin will be a looker. I finally gave up on trying to remove the remaining crud and just put a very light coat of Blue Ribbon Coin Conditioner on it, which helped also to remove some more of the crud, but some details now a bit harder to see.
1787Maris64-t Site254.jpg
I was surprised of the condition, I expected a copper from this area to be in great shape, but maybe the next one from there will be, I always joke that when I find one like this, that it must have been one where deer pee on in a regular way. ;D

Here is a photo of the three NJ coppers found by me in February.
Feb2011 New Jersey Coppers.jpg

I expect to return next week to this site, I sure hope it is hiding at least one more copper for me, who knows, maybe my 4th NJ for 2011.......

Don

Upvote 0

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is pretty awesome Don Congrats ! :thumbsup: Funny how here in upstate NY I'm buried in snow and yall have bare ground....I'm thinking I need to move to Jersey. ;D

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Copper King strike's again.....well done Don :icon_thumright:

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coppers! Congrats!

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don, your a New Jersey Coppers magnet. Congrats on your third of the year and I know you have room for more. Arty

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your third NJ copper this month. I never knew that grape vines could be an indicator of an old homesite-thanks.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on another incredibly early copper find there Don! :o
Good job in the detective work of reading the signs of an old homestead! :notworthy:

Dave

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing old coins, thanks for sharing!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Don! Only you could get three in such quick progression... and have all three identifiable. :icon_thumright:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don, a NJ triple helping is more than anyone could hope for. This is really stellar coin hunting at its best--and it speaks to your familiarity with the subtle signs and changes in the woods that you hunt. Most folks would pass such signs by in search of a cellar hole or obvious place to detect. A Big congratulations to you on such great hunting this month.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very...Very Nice,,,,Reminds me of being back in Japan, After finding some good finds in the same area, Want to get that last one...Most times it will show up..Even after a year or two, Seems like thiings pop up out of no where...Good Luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread