Tied for my oldest coin find in 2007 - 1724 KGI Halfpenny

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earlier this year I got a 1724 Woods Hibernia copper but today I got another 1724, but this time a regular issue King George I Halfpenny.
I started out hunting about two blocks back in the woods in thick greenbriar, well, after only a half hour of putting up with wet woods and the briar, I decided to call it quits, since I had not one target to dig and was arm and back weary after so little detecting these past few months.

I was about 30 feet from my truck when I got a loud coin signal, it was so loud I was sure it was going to be a piece of aluminum, that close to the paved road. Nope. At only about 4 inches a nice ole copper pops out of the ground.

Due to the wet conditions I left my camera in the truck for the hunt but since it was so close, I just left the coin lying there and got the camera (and my glasses) and took some photos of where I found the coin. Amazing that it was missed before by others, assuming the homestead there was hit before since it was so obvious.

I was not sure it would clean up decent but luckily it did, not bad for being that old and it is always nice finding the real old colonials.

Sorry for the off color on the coin photos, I was experimenting and it just did not work like I had hoped but at least the shots are clear. I hope to get out one or more two times before the end of the year and maybe make a so-so year end nicely.

Don

Attachments

• Site222roadlook.jpg
    Site222roadlook.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 646
  • Site222.jpg
    Site222.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 634
  • Site of 222.jpg
    Site of 222.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 637
  • Site222KGI.jpg
    Site222KGI.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 625
  • 1724KGI Before_After2.jpg
    1724KGI Before_After2.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 640
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captn_SE said:
Man, that's an old Copper, Don!! Great pics too!!
It's amazing how something so old could be so shallow.

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

It really has to do with how the site has sat for the last hundred plus years, since most homesteads had no lawns back then and they did clear all the trees for burning in the stove/fireplace, well, you just did not have much deposition of soil in the years thereafter, due to less leaf litter, and for some reason, old disturbed soil just does not reforest again in general like areas that were just lumbered out.

Of course if you go field hunting the coins can be anywhere due to plowing and tilling action but at homesteads, the coins in general, and I am talking late 1700's up to Civil War era, will be in the 4-7 inch range. I will add our soil is sandy here, coastal plain of NJ. Oh, coins really do not sink, in case you are thinking that, they will settle down with their weight but it is deposition of soil that buries stuff. :>)
Park finds can be deep due to the heavy grass growth which makes coins get buried at a faster rate. I always use as an example of where I worked, it was a WW2 Naval Air Station. they had sidewalks going from building to building. By the 1980's , just 40 years later, the turf was a good 2-4 inches higher than the sidewalks, due to the thick mat of grass accumulating and turning into soil at an accelerated pace.

Don

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Don,

Thanks for the info. Now get your son on here! We need Don in SJ Jr. posting on Tnet. :P

BDD...Kirk

P.S. Don in SJ Jr., "We need you nooow..." :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread