🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got out on Saturday to do a little detecting and sifting. I began by detecting an area I've hit countless times and decided to dig all iron signals. After a few plugs with nails, I popped a plug and pulled out a nail and a nice button with almost all its gilt left. Most of those at this site have the gilt long gone, so it was very nice to see a shiny one appear. Many plugs and a few bits of iron later, I pop a plug I was certain would be nails and laying on edge in the bottom of the hole was a copper :headbang: After removing the copper I realized it was an LC and I located the source of the iron grunts with the pinpointer, removing some more nails that were masking the copper. Gotta love those surprise coppers, unfortunately this one was pretty rough and the dirt was adhered to it like concrete. It also looks like it was well worn before being lost. After wandering around for another hour or so with very little to show for the effort, I decided to open up a new pit section. I opened the area I got the two pewters and rose head nails on my last trip earlier in the week. It turned out to be a pretty good section loaded with many very nice condition nails and a handful of buttons. Nothing incredible turned up, but it was a lot of fun and worth moving all that dirt.

IMG_20161016_214837432.jpg

In the first pit section I got a slamming signal I was certain was a coin, but turned out to be a very nice looking flat button with a flower on it. This one also had some gilt remaining in the low relief and cleaned up great. The backmark is very interesting and looks like it was stamped after it was made. "GILT WN" I'm guessing WN was a makers mark. I don't typically pay much attention to flat button backmarks, but I may try to look into this one.

IMG_20161016_215150206.jpg

This is the nice gilt button I found detecting at the beginning of the day.

IMG_20161016_215205412.jpg

The copper was very toasty and flaking around the edge... I decided to stop trying to chip the remaining dirt off when I realized how bad it was worn and that the date looked too far gone.

IMG_20161016_214900649.jpg

IMG_20161016_214921080.jpg IMG_20161016_214926359.jpg

When I sift I use a crazy strong magnet I attached to a pole to get the nails out. Instead of chasing them with a pinpointer, I hold my detector in one hand and the magnet in the other. When I hear a nail in the dirt pile I move my coil and run the magnet over it until I hear it "clink" onto the magnet. There are so many nails that they mask items even when the dirt is removed from the pit. By removing all the nails, I am able to find even the smallest nonferrous items such as tack heads, cufflinks and buttons. As an extra bonus this section contained some very nice condition hand forged nails. I made a new burlap picture board for my preserved iron pictures, so hopefully they come out better in my posts.

IMG_20161016_214320928.jpg

IMG_20161016_214214218.jpg IMG_20161016_214220116.jpg IMG_20161016_214226379.jpg

Some of the nicest hand forged tacks and cut trim nails stuck to my magnet on Saturday. These would have impossible to recover if it wasnt for the magnet.

IMG_20161016_214349271.jpg

This piece of iron came from the pit section and it looked interesting so I zapped it. It's hand forged and has a harmonic ring to it like it is hardened. I believe its some sort of punch and the tip is bent a little. The top is oddly pointed and has some hammer marks on it. It also has some marks around the top where it looks like something round was put over it and hit, causing the corners to flare out.

IMG_20161016_175352168.jpg

I have a pile of pottery from this pit section that I didn't include in the pictures. The cobalt decorated stoneware pieces I did include in my picture turned out to all fit together. I actually have a pile of shards to the same piece in my display from last year. At some point this winter when I rearrange the display I'll see if any of them fit together.

IMG_20161016_215910777.jpg

This very well machined brass nut that came from the pit, still threaded onto its screw. The visible threads on the back seem crude, so I have a feeling it has some age to it. Anyone know what this went to?

IMG_20161016_215250847.jpg

It actually reminded me of the nut that holds the hammer on this musket I have hanging on the wall in my relic room. So perhaps the brass one I dug was also part to a firearm.

IMG_20161016_233308748.jpg

This piece of iron surprised me in the tumbler when I noticed it had a cast brass ring of some sort around it. Unsure what that went to though.

IMG_20161016_215053801.jpg

Taking some time off at the end of this week to head out on a multiday detecting trip. It'll certainly be a lot of work and a lot of fun, as well as a nice time outdoors with friends.

Thanks for reading and Happy Hunting everyone.

Last edited:
Upvote 8

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great post, and more great finds. I really like those buttons, and I also like the old nails. I have only ever found a few square nails. They weren't being used very much by the time my area was settled, so I always smile when I find one.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another great post, and more great finds. I really like those buttons, and I also like the old nails. I have only ever found a few square nails. They weren't being used very much by the time my area was settled, so I always smile when I find one.

Thanks a ton man! A while ago I decided to embrace the nails... after all, I dig more nails than anything else :laughing7: I'm lucky because this site predates wire nails, so any nail I get is old. I've got boxes of them now of all types imaginable. I wish they were easier to take photos of. They look much better in person, but turn out dark in the pictures.

jwarner51

Aug 11, 2014
United states of America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice button! Also really liking the nails, glad to see that someone else appreciates something as simple as those early nails like I do

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on another nice post and hand full of goodies.

Best of luck on your upcoming hunt.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another very good array of relics-I especially like the two buttons. Those nails look great against the burlap background; it's interesting how some nails come out of the ground looking like blobs of rust but turn out to be in such good condition after you tumble them.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While I was looking for the "WN" backmark in my book, I also checked the other gilt button "R. J. & Co. Extra". Didn't find the WN, but I did find Robinsons, Jones & Co for the other button. It dates between 1828 and 1834 and is the last backmark in the list. It was the same manufacturer that made the "True Whigs" political button in the 1830's. While this site dates between the mid 1700's and mid 1800's, based on what I have found, the most active period was the early 1800's. So this button would fall right into that category.

IMG_20161017_010250.jpg

IMG_20161016_215205412.jpg

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice button! Also really liking the nails, glad to see that someone else appreciates something as simple as those early nails like I do

Thanks jwarner51! Those early hammered nails really are cool.

I posted this video a while ago, but its pretty cool to see what went into making one of these hand forged nails. It really makes you appreciate them and how each is unique.

Nice buttons, and a great looking nail display.

Thanks Trezurehunter! I have 1000's of nails I've preserved in boxes that I started to make some displays with. Those nail chronology displays look really cool. A few of the better nails from this post will end up in the pile of rose heads in my cabinet.

Congrats on another nice post and hand full of goodies.

Best of luck on your upcoming hunt.

Thanks Tom! Hopefully I dig up something cool to share with you all.

Another very good array of relics-I especially like the two buttons. Those nails look great against the burlap background; it's interesting how some nails come out of the ground looking like blobs of rust but turn out to be in such good condition after you tumble them.

Thanks Glenn! In a couple areas I sift here I have found that the nails are not as oxidized. This happens to be one of those areas. My guess is that they were in a fire and it tempered them or something. They are rusty, but its just surface rust. I find those tumble the best and look new after 24 hours in the tumbler. The heavier oxidized ones can take much longer, but some turn out great too.

Nice finds and post congrats

Thank you Art!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I need to invest in a magnet on a stick, technique certainly makes a lot of sense and the results speak for themselves. Another fantastic post Brad, keep them coming

Thanks Jon! It seriously saves me so much time clearing out the iron from the dirt piles. This is the one I got https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008DVURH4 It was about $15 and its a steal for a Neodymium magnet with that amount of strength. I bolted and epoxied it onto the end of a 1-3/4" x 4' Oak dowel. Been working great all summer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread