d3t3ctr0n

Apr 17, 2013
Texas U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today Find - don't hunt historic areas or get busted

Had my first run in with the authorities. Hunted around the perimeter of an old fort here in West Texas. While hunting around the Fort, I was approached by a park ranger who told me that if I did not stop hunting but I would receive a ticket. I had already found several coins by that point, and I asked him if I needed to give him back but he told me I could keep them. Oh well.

Upvote 5
Just wear one of my T-shirts... :laughing7:

11002649_453310888154777_7490729358484167806_n.jpg

I would absolutely rock one of those shirt!

Yeah, like other members said, the self righteous archaeologists would rather have everything rot in the ground instead of us finding, sharing, and enjoying it.

Yeah, like other members said, the self righteous archaeologists would rather have everything rot in the ground instead of us finding, sharing, and enjoying it.

I don't think it is that so much as it is their fear that one of the uneducated idiots out there swinging a detector that leave their trash and unfilled holes might destroy something in their haste of digging because they are afraid of being caught on a site without permission.

Still would like to know if the OP Had permission (Written and all) to hunt where he Was.
&
How Close he / She was to the Property Line.

For some reason many places that are open to specific clubs will not allow individuals. Must be the " additional training " clubs require lol.

Its not the additional training that they require, its a General Liability insurance policy they are looking for. If you dig a hole and sprain your ankle, and figure to sue them they are on the hook for it, if you have insurance covering you they wont have an issue.

Well, if a detectorist can't find other amazing places to hunt besides park land, then they should probably put down the detector and walk away from the hobby. Not worth getting riled up about. Go hunt somewhere else. The OP is lucky he didn't get a ticket. Or charged with a felony and his detector confiscated. I thought it was common sense to stay off park land!

Cheers,

Buck

Still would like to know if the OP Had permission (Written and all) to hunt where he Was.
&
How Close he / She was to the Property Line.

Ill take it Since the OP has not answered my Questions (not that he/She has to, but it would be nice) that He or She WAS on Park, Fort or Gov, Property. & If so as they say "Ignorance of the law is no excuse". & lucky they were not Arrested .
IMO A ticket would have been the easy way out.
Then again it's the OP's choice to break the law or not....but is Getting a Felony & Big Fines worth the Crusty IH's , or Splattered Round or Minnie Ball one Might??? dig.

Where can I get one of those t-shirts...

Run-ins will happen, unfortunately.
They are just doing their jobs, whether they really believe in the laws entirely, they have to be the "responsible one",
and keep their jobs...!
Too bad they just don't sign you up as a volunteer, and get you to record and collect what you find. Since most objects will be near surface,
and the stuff they get will be the needed info, for their overall historic "picture" of the fort's past , and hopefully, that stuff will be put on display for everyone
to enjoy...!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back