Today was the Day....!!! - Diamonds Update

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Today was the day that metal detecting paid me back. I stopped by a permission that I thought was burned out. After 15 minutes or so of no good signals, I decided to dig pull tabs. I dug 2 pulltabs within a small area and heard a third signal. I have to admit, it didn't sound much different than the other two. I dug it anyway. I saw some scissors, and knew I had hit. I dug almost 150 silver coins last year, but nothing even compared to the feeling of seeing this ring. My hunting buddy lostlake said it was the ugliest thing he has ever seen. I love it, and could care less if it is "ugly". I knew it was gold just by the weight, but had no idea how big it really was. 25 grams of 14K on my old mail scale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am assuming this is very heavy for a ring. There are 22 diamonds(can't confirm yet, but I am extremely confident they are real). 6 baguette style and 16 little ones. I did a little research, and found out the scissors are a masonic symbol. Hopefully, someone can confirm this for me. On top of everything else, this is the first ring I have ever found that fits my big fingers. Best ring I have ever found, and easily the most valuable. I am stoked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would have confirmed diamonds tonight, but my jeweler bro-in-law cut his head open and had to go get some stitches. I will update post with his opinion.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson
www.prehistoricartifacts.com
-UPDATE- I was able to take the ring in to my bro-in-laws jewelry shop after work. The first thing he did was weigh the ring on a digital scale. It weighs 25.78 grams. He confirmed 14K gold, and said it is over a half ounce of pure gold!! He was amazed at the size of it, and stated that you don't see too many of that weight. Next, he examined the stones and quickly confirmed that they are real diamonds!! He said the 6 baguette style diamonds were of a very high quality for the cut(good color and lacking flaws), and could easily be used as accent pieces on a high dollar engagement ring. He said the 16 other diamonds really didn't have too much value b/c of their size. He said we would have to take apart to get an accurate carat measurement, so I let that topic rest. I asked him about value and here is what he said. Scrap value would be over $1000, he would sell it as a ring in the $1500-2000 range(he did joke about there being a limited market for the motif...), and it would cost about $3000 to have it made today. Apparently, it is all high quality custom work.
Where I found it- A very large 1847 house in a nice neighborhood
Target- I wasn't too excited when I heard it. Figured it for a pull tab. It was about 6" deep.

Attachments

• 422009f.jpg
    422009f.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,076
  • 422009e.jpg
    422009e.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,079
  • 422009d.jpg
    422009d.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 1,041
  • 422009c.jpg
    422009c.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,059
  • 422009b.jpg
    422009b.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,066
  • 422009a.jpg
    422009a.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,060
Upvote 0

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Today was the Day....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That aint masonic. Its from Snoop Dogs hair dresser. :thumbsup:
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

coltdavis

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2008
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

congrats on a very nice gold ring! keep it up :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

John987

Jan 13, 2009
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Compass X-80 Challenger, Yukon 77B Professional

Wow!! That is some ring!!
Congratulations!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

stillgottawork

Jun 6, 2008
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT , Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes that has to be a kinda "ugly" ring..... :tongue1:

If it's real ........its..............still " GOLD"....... :thumbsup:

Nice catch...... :thumbsup:

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

you found what they call bling bling.

ky keith

Dec 23, 2008
Ft. Myers Florida/ Western N.C.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

good job john! you could probably take that ring to vine street and get some bucks for it! :thumbsup:

99Brown

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2006
Illinois

Great find!! Betting those diamonds are real. Being 14k and a man's ring, the jeweler would most likely use real diamonds! Congrats

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is one big ring. WTG....Matt

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75

That ring is huge man. With a find like that you can take the rest ofthe year off.
Mike

OP
OP
pointdlr

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio

Snoop Dog's Hair Dresser... That is awesome!!!!!!!
Seriously though, the symbolism on the ring is downright odd. I found it at an 1847 "mansion" that is still very nice and in a good part of town. I don't know how that helps id the scissor symbol, but I do think it rules out "ghetto bling", and possibly the "barber" theory. My guess is still that it is a Mason's ring, and probably pretty old(1900-1950).
I also found a reference to a secret "militant" guild of tailors whose symbol was a pair of scissors: http://rural-tailor.blogspot.com/2006/03/tailors-version-of-masonic-ritual.html . How funny is that? A militant guild of tailors....
I am sure of one thing about the ring, someone spent some money to have it made and was not happy when they lost it.
Jon.

jsandin

Nov 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

pointdlr said:
Snoop Dog's Hair Dresser... That is awesome!!!!!!!
Seriously though, the symbolism on the ring is downright odd. I found it at an 1847 "mansion" that is still very nice and in a good part of town. I don't know how that helps id the scissor symbol, but I do think it rules out "ghetto bling", and possibly the "barber" theory. My guess is still that it is a Mason's ring, and probably pretty old(1900-1950).
I also found a reference to a secret "militant" guild of tailors whose symbol was a pair of scissors: http://rural-tailor.blogspot.com/2006/03/tailors-version-of-masonic-ritual.html . How funny is that? A militant guild of tailors....
I am sure of one thing about the ring, someone spent some money to have it made and was not happy when they lost it.
Jon.

An angry tailor could take a chunk out of somebody's face with that ring.

Why are there holes on the inside?

supersonicf111

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2009

Why are there holes on the inside?

[/quote]

The holes allow light to come through the bottome side of the diamonds. Look at any band type ring with diamonds and you'll usually see holes on the inside. Interesting ring!

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Great Find! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Interesting ring, yes .... stylish, ahh..NO...but love the Gold anyway!

I'm very curious as to the origin it's a well crafted ring ... just butt ugly.

HH Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread